LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

Still hunted the ridges all day. 9 hrs of trees and boulders. Then at 4 i came around a lrg tree and there  was an 8 point laying down about 40 yrds from me never saw me cause of all the wind up there. I put the scope  on him and then he saw me and stood but still didn't  know what was going on. Nice 8 but needs another yr so he got lucky. Be seeing you  nxt yr bud lol

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Nothing... A little disappointed, but still have muzzleloader to look forward to. I guess the one good thing about not shooting a buck with my bow is that now I have a buck tag for muzzleloader. Trying to find the bright side of a sucky bow season, I guess. :pardon:

PM me. You want to hunt my place, you are more than welcome.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Climbing down. Going to pull cams and throw in the towel . Doubtful I’ll give ML season a whirl.  Good luck y’all and see you around May 1 

Come on Jay! You had a beauty of a buck on cam recently and he's waiting for you!! Take a couple days off and recharge.

Edited by Cabin Fever

A tuft of hair that matche did body hair tells me shot was back a bit,   proper bullet for range would help, I've seen to many bad experiences with 243 to condone them as a great round  including 5 rounds shot at 30 yards at a black bear that never penetrated the body cavity all rounds were recuved against ribs after going thru hide and 4 in of fat.. yea they were deer rounds..   all in all a larger caliber tend to give more forgiveness on a less than perfect shot

To be fair I don’t think anyone said it was a great round. I think we are mostly saying that it’s a fine choice. I’d rather put a kid or woman out with a .243 then have them sitting at home or missing from flinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a big, lone doe in the crosshairs,  broadside, maybe 50 yards about 445. Chose not to shoot because she was really big. Thought it may have been a buck that dropped its horns. 

Already have meat in the freezer,  so that wasn't a deciding factor.

Onto muzzleloader in the am

• Like 1

I've been out of action since opening day with a bad back.  (I was lucky to get a very nice 6 point that day.)  Felt good enough to go out this afternoon, short walk close to the house.  I got up in a treestand and right around sunset a 4 pointer appears from somewhere and checks out a scrape 40 feet away.  I think he was laughing at me.  Hope to find a doe with my muzzleloader. 

Welp not the buck i was looking for but 1 last good doe for the freezer. Saw a 4pt this a.m. with a unknown deer. This doe came in with another and 2 button bucks at 430, onto muzzloader.

Ive gutted alot of deer through the years, maybe ive never paid attention but does this deer have 2 livers? Or is that another organ ive never noticed? Large spleen?

20211212_163746.jpg

20211212_183231.jpg

20211212_183236.jpg

Edited by Gencountyzeek
  • Like 9

In for the last hr.....need a dance partner!
Also had to play find the ground blind for a bit......sucker was launched 75 yards away through the pines from the winds last night.94750825e6c50e80048b162bf5dace10.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Same here. Went to the farm around noon knowing it wouldn’t be there. Funny seeing a chair just sitting there. Mine made it about 300 yards before being caught in the hedgerow.

7 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Climbing down. Going to pull cams and throw in the towel . Doubtful I’ll give ML season a whirl.  Good luck y’all and see you around May 1 

Stop it! I'm having just as crappy a season as many, dealing with knees that are starting to hurt all the time, back issues, gut issues, and wasn't feeling the bow season at all. Hunted thick stuff, swamps, fields, hard woods, three different areas in the ADK's and I'm not throwing in the towel yet so you can't either. You're Bunny Man! The Man, The Myth, The Legend. Like they say, zero to hero in a second.

Soooo close to getting it done on my #1 target tonight. He came out on opposite side of field from me about 600 yards away and I had to watch him feed across with 4 other bucks and a bunch of does for two hours. The bucks briefly disappeared but came back out 140 yards away in some brush just before legal light. Unfortunately I couldn’t figure out which was the deer I wanted to shoot until he decided to take off and chase a doe back to where he originally came out of. I could have taken a chance and guessed but I’m hoping he’s staying back there and I can get back on him late season

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Welp not the buck i was looking for but 1 last good doe for the freezer. Saw a 4pt this a.m. with a unknown deer. This doe came in with another and 2 button bucks at 430, onto muzzloader.

Ive gutted alot of deer through the years, maybe ive never paid attention but does this deer have 2 livers? Or is that another organ ive never noticed? Large spleen?

20211212_163746.jpg

20211212_183231.jpg

20211212_183236.jpg

I believe what your seeing is a separate lobe of the liver. I think deer have 2-3 lobes. Humans have 4 lobes.

Nothing... A little disappointed, but still have muzzleloader to look forward to. I guess the one good thing about not shooting a buck with my bow is that now I have a buck tag for muzzleloader. Trying to find the bright side of a sucky bow season, I guess. :pardon:

Im looking at eating my buck tags for the first time since 2000. I had my one good chance during archery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Im looking at eating my buck tags for the first time since 2000. I had my one good chance during archery

Same, it has been years since i havent filled a buck tag in bow or gun. Had 1 opportunity during bow that i wasnt comfortable with the shot, no opportunitys during gun. Small bucks yes but nothing that interested me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

OUCH! Unfortunately, I'm a little TOO use to eating my tags! LOL  Damn carbs! LOL

• Like 1

Just got home. What a fun day of drives. We only Moved one deer on the first one. The second one we had deer moving the moment we stepped into the woods. In the end a monster 8 point with a 24” spread , a small 6 point, 2 small doe and one large doe where taken.

Unfortunately for the people that picked me this week I did not shoot any of them.

I covered 6.5 miles over all sorts of terrain.

• Like 10

Just got home. What a fun day of drives. We only Moved one deer on the first one. The second one we had deer moving the moment we stepped into the woods. In the end a monster 8 point with a 24” spread , a small 6 point, 2 small doe and one large doe where taken.

Unfortunately for the people that picked me this week I did not shoot any of them.

24” spread! Holy smokes. Any pics?

1 minute ago, Moho81 said:

Atleast you gave it a go!!better than what I did for you today,not a Damn thing:rofl:.right now i wreak of 2 stroke mixed gas and picking wood shaving out of my pockets

Atleast you gave it a go!!better than what I did for you today,not a Damn thing:rofl:.right now i wreak of 2 stroke mixed gas and picking wood shaving out of my pockets

The tree damage inside the woods is insane. We are going to be cleaning up for YEARS from this storm. Thankfully we only spotted one tree stand the was ripped down.

4 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

The tree damage inside the woods is insane. We are going to be cleaning up for YEARS from this storm. Thankfully we only spotted one tree stand the was ripped down.

I saw the same! One tree fell against the tree my stand is in, but thankfully got hung up in the crotch of the tree. I stood in the stand tonight with the fallen tree ~1 foot from my head, thinking if I was in the stand when it fell, I probably would have jumped out thinking it was going to hit me. Saw other trees just twisted off! It's a mess out there!

5 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

BBD

Buzzer beater for Duke. He's been chasing after this guy for awhile, and he finally came out bumping does tonight. Gave Duke a 60 yard shot. GTK64b35fe72d67f2d05fa4d18fe47043ef.jpg9c7c84c8e7a1f79c7261c6d38d54dd31.jpgc33dd027f928047c03b9df0f4e7bc5b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Congrats to Duke on a great buck!! Your son looks just as happy! Love the 3 generation pics! Cherish those times and get lots of pics!

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 1