LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

After turkey hunting in Ohio we set up some cell cams. Most certainly lower deer density and sign appeared to be less overall but very clear in areas where the sign concentration was present. It’ll be tough hunting and the sits will probably be long gaps in sightings but the sightings hopefully will matter.

FTR mineral blocks and feed are legal there.

5819D9E1-C8A2-4C1B-885C-012F65628CF1.jpeg

A4F5267E-43F6-4191-B6B7-562F05ACF33E.jpeg

1559D0A7-8166-4F29-A019-D8A0CD851C05.jpeg

CB56B51C-B2D5-49A1-B3A1-D04BA19D95AC.jpeg

F191C1DB-9A34-4F89-BD56-697AE257338F.jpeg

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Belo said:

tactacam makes trail cams?

For a year or so. Their second model just came out this week. I have a small stack coming in tomorrow but most are already sold.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, phade said:

For a year or so. Their second model just came out this week. I have a small stack coming in tomorrow but most are already sold.

I'm in the market this fall. Going balls deep into at least 3, I'll have to pick your brain more when August comes around.

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm in the market this fall. Going balls deep into at least 3, I'll have to pick your brain more when August comes around.

Honestly, I wouldn't be waiting. Chip shortage and shipping logistics are creating an issue in the market. I'm selling 95% of my cameras before they arrive on my doorstep right now.

August is going to be a disaster in the market. You also want to learn cell cams in the off season, not pre season...

Edited by phade

On 4/27/2021 at 10:27 AM, turkeyfeathers said:

Red text me as he drove by. Is that you Jay watching those birds lol. 

Lol he was out in the field again this morning around 11am with a single hen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Looks like they’re already sold out everywhere…

I did not do formal presales, but all were spoken for before they arrived. My big batch should be hopefully June.

Sensor seems like when set properly it has the ability to reach out far. I picked up deer at 100+ feet night and day. In fact last night the sensor picked up a deer that was beyond the bulk of the light output on an open field (with a downward slope to be fair).

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, phade said:

I did not do formal presales, but all were spoken for before they arrived. My big batch should be hopefully June.

Sensor seems like when set properly it has the ability to reach out far. I picked up deer at 100+ feet night and day. In fact last night the sensor picked up a deer that was beyond the bulk of the light output on an open field (with a downward slope to be fair).

Is this a big upgrade from the previous model? Remind me, what was its range

31 minutes ago, phade said:

Hi Phade

is this the Tactacam Reveal?  I love the one I bought from you last fall and would love another if you get any.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 1:57 PM, phade said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be waiting. Chip shortage and shipping logistics are creating an issue in the market. I'm selling 95% of my cameras before they arrive on my doorstep right now.

August is going to be a disaster in the market. You also want to learn cell cams in the off season, not pre season...

assuming you can buy the cams and wait to activate the mobile plans?

1 hour ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Is this a big upgrade from the previous model? Remind me, what was its range

Features wise there are some additions and some removals. No screen on this model - use your phone and app to live view and change settings in setup mode (not live view like a Spartan). Some people like screens, some people like to use the phone and not worry about a part that may fail more often (screen going bad), etc. My personal POV on sensing and illumination distance is different than most of the market. I think once you get beyond a specific range the value of intel drops a bit. At 100 feet, you sure can't tell what you can at 50 or 25, etc. If a cam triggers at 150 feet on a deer, you aren't going to get a ton of usable info IMO. So far the cam senses well, but my interest is how the cam will do in the heat of summer. Not specific to this model, but when cams sense super far out, one potential risk is over-sensitivity to warmer months. I don't think that is the case here, but I'll feel better in late August because I'll know for sure by then.

1 hour ago, virgil said:

Hi Phade

is this the Tactacam Reveal?  I love the one I bought from you last fall and would love another if you get any.

This is the new cam that followed it. A third model arrives late summer with more bells and whistles. The one you have is no longer made. I am sold out of my order that arrived this week. I believe June eta for next batch. 

59 minutes ago, Belo said:

assuming you can buy the cams and wait to activate the mobile plans?

You can do that. Many people run the cell feature for 4-6 months a year. I do that on some of my cams but I also run some year-round. They are actually pretty fun in their own right. You lose more money on options trades than you would by just buying an annual plan and using a cam. Seriously though, August is not a time to buy any cell cam. Buy it now, learn it, learn how to overcome common issues, and set it with precision in August for use in hunting season. In fact I try not to push Cuddelink system to people after July or most cell cams after August. I spend too much time helping people who buy cell cams in or just before season. Only time I will now is if that person has experience with cells at that point.

People get detached from root cause of problems - had a guy tell me the Cuddelink system was crap. He bought in in early October and tried to connect cams on either side of a massive series of hills. Well, the problem isn't the system. It's you and you buying a system in season. The fix? Having a few cams at the peaks to draw signal up and over the line of sight. He apologized for being a DB. But, I lost money on him with the amount of time I spent coaching him through that. He would have not had this issue in season which amplified his problem...if he bought in June and learned how to use it. No different than buying a rifle the day before opener and trusting the bore sighting...who does that?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, phade said:

Features wise there are some additions and some removals. No screen on this model - use your phone and app to live view and change settings in setup mode (not live view like a Spartan). Some people like screens, some people like to use the phone and not worry about a part that may fail more often (screen going bad), etc. My personal POV on sensing and illumination distance is different than most of the market. I think once you get beyond a specific range the value of intel drops a bit. At 100 feet, you sure can't tell what you can at 50 or 25, etc. If a cam triggers at 150 feet on a deer, you aren't going to get a ton of usable info IMO. So far the cam senses well, but my interest is how the cam will do in the heat of summer. Not specific to this model, but when cams sense super far out, one potential risk is over-sensitivity to warmer months. I don't think that is the case here, but I'll feel better in late August because I'll know for sure by then.

This is the new cam that followed it. A third model arrives late summer with more bells and whistles. The one you have is no longer made. I am sold out of my order that arrived this week. I believe June eta for next batch. 

You can do that. Many people run the cell feature for 4-6 months a year. I do that on some of my cams but I also run some year-round. They are actually pretty fun in their own right. You lose more money on options trades than you would by just buying an annual plan and using a cam. Seriously though, August is not a time to buy any cell cam. Buy it now, learn it, learn how to overcome common issues, and set it with precision in August for use in hunting season. In fact I try not to push Cuddelink system to people after July or most cell cams after August. I spend too much time helping people who buy cell cams in or just before season. Only time I will now is if that person has experience with cells at that point.

People get detached from root cause of problems - had a guy tell me the Cuddelink system was crap. He bought in in early October and tried to connect cams on either side of a massive series of hills. Well, the problem isn't the system. It's you and you buying a system in season. The fix? Having a few cams at the peaks to draw signal up and over the line of sight. He apologized for being a DB. But, I lost money on him with the amount of time I spent coaching him through that. He would have not had this issue in season which amplified his problem...if he bought in June and learned how to use it. No different than buying a rifle the day before opener and trusting the bore sighting...who does that?

Yeah I guess me waiting was just thinking new model years might come out and given the world of tech, they could be substantial.

I'm pretty good with tech, i've built my own computers so I'm not too worried, but I get your point about not waiting till the last minute.

Honestly the other reason I've waited as I can't seem to find a clear winner to go with. With non-cell cams you can mix and match and trial and error. Not so much here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...