Scouting.

Buckmaster7600

I took a walk down the tracks towards a new chunk of public land they opened up last year. Once I was about 1/4 mile away I laid on the hooter. I was shocked myself when I heard them sound off not just from the WMA land, but also from the property behind me.

Two other areas seem quiet this year.

I'm seeing a ton in fields where I never seen a single bird in the 5 years of driving past them. I don't know of there was a population boost or they are relocating due to growth in housing tracts popping up all over the place.

Part of me is looking forward to the Spring season and part of me just isn't feeling it this year. I just seem stuck in a rut the past few weeks and seem to be struggling to maintain the will to do some things. I haven't even wet a line yet this year.

Edited by DirtTime

April is always hot with birds fired up. I don't scout until few days before May 1st. Same old spots produce at some point yr after year if any birds are around. Just got to find out where they are which is easy and if you can get to them.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I'm planning on going out tomorrow am, I haven't been out yet this spring. I have been doing a lot of cruising lately and i have yet to see any birds out in the fields? I heard that the population is way down in Chat. Co. but seriosly not a single bird in any fields? I really hope I hear some gobbling in the morning.

What’s the wisdom on spooking turkeys? With mature deer you typically don’t want to bump them in their bedding areas weeks before a hunt as they’re likely to vacate those beds for a while. I typically do a lot of scouting during the season once noon comes around. I’ll grab my dog and go look for sign. Do you see similar behavior with turkeys were they’ll avoid a spot where they’ve been bumped from for weeks? Since dispersing a flock and calling them back in is a common way to hunt turkeys in the fall, I take it they’re not as sensitive as old deer. 

1 hour ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

What’s the wisdom on spooking turkeys? With mature deer you typically don’t want to bump them in their bedding areas weeks before a hunt as they’re likely to vacate those beds for a while. I typically do a lot of scouting during the season once noon comes around. I’ll grab my dog and go look for sign. Do you see similar behavior with turkeys were they’ll avoid a spot where they’ve been bumped from for weeks? Since dispersing a flock and calling them back in is a common way to hunt turkeys in the fall, I take it they’re not as sensitive as old deer. 

Normally if called in and spooked, missed, they will tend to be a little call shy in that area.  

As far as walking around after noon time, you take the risk of bumping a hen off her nest. But if it's a new area, it would be the best time. Like deer, turkeys know if your hunting or just walking around especially if people walk around that area frequently. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Bird will move if bumped off roost a couple of times in a few days.  They do not like pressure , I think they are more sensitive than deer personally.. in the fall your dealing with " fawns" that dont know any better  break up a group of mature gobblers and it might be 3 or 4 days before they get back together.

• Like 1