Bear spotted.....

Robhuntandfish

so kinda a kick in the pants but .... as many of you know i have been hoping for one bear pic on cam - have never had one.  And also i have always wanted to get one NY bear.  SO the location i can no longer hunt as of end of last season - the owner sent me a message and said a bear had been spotted up there twice this summer!  lol.  Gotta love it.  Where i hunt they just reopened bear season i think 2 years ago and the whole area might take 2 all year.  And never any close to where i hunt.  But apparently there is a bear there now and of course i cant hunt there....... And yes chances of it sticking around or being there during season are prob slim. But like it has been said "theres a chance!"  If i was still able to hunt there now it would be plastered in trail cams!!! But maybe the other spot that i now hunt will eventually get some.  It has always seemed like great bear looking territory.

No hard feelings on it but gonna miss it even more this season.  It was also my best turkey spot and really missed it this spring.  But for Deer hunting i am more than content with what i still have.  Who had to put a bear in play damn it!!! lol  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 6

I feel ya, hunted the same property for over 25 yrs. None if us has ever seen a bear turd or track, let alone a bear on that property.  My SIL the other day was driving by the farm, and almost hit a bear as it ran across the road in front of her.  Funny thing is, I live 6 minutes from the farm, and have bears in my backyard raiding my dumpster. 

• Like 1

I can certainly relate Rob!! Dying to get a pic of one or better yet, see one!! It was on the local news earlier this week that a bear was spotted 4 miles from my house. The mayor suggested people remove their bird feeders, as not to risk attracting…… so I FILLED mine!! LOL Crossing my fingers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Honestly Rob, it was likely a 2yr old kicked off by mom roaming for new territory.   They have been seen on my property and near the one I lost at this time of year over the past few years but are long gone by season.  If it makes you feel better, you probably aren't missing out on hunting that bear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Honestly Rob, it was likely a 2yr old kicked off by mom roaming for new territory.   They have been seen on my property and near the one I lost at this time of year over the past few years but are long gone by season.  If it makes you feel better, you probably aren't missing out on hunting that bear.

Yeah I figured as much. Esp this time of year they seem to wander. But to actually even have one around is news around here. They are so rare. Guy that lives there is 76 and never seen one his whole life.

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Theses are from a couple of years ago right near me, as near as I could tell there were about 20 different bears around within about a five mile radius. Sadly, someone started feeding a sow and her two cubs. They got into sheds, camps and the town recycle center and lost all fear of man. 

WGI_0084.JPG

WGI_0091.JPG

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yeah I figured as much. Esp this time of year they seem to wander. But to actually even have one around is news around here. They are so rare. Guy that lives there is 76 and never seen one his whole life there. 

Same way around here.   We don't have resident bears as far as I know, but we have started seeing some right around the time mom kicks the cubs off but only for a rare sighting in the summer until they find a permanent home elsewhere.

• Like 1

In 8P we get a lot of pictures on camera. Healthy Sows with triplets at times. I've shot at a few at bow season, never connected,  but come gun they seem to disappear. I think in the last 14 years only 1 small bear was taken adjacent to my property at bow season. Then again bear season hasn't been open all those 14 years. Now I remember like in 2010 we had standing corn opening day. A sow and two cubs were feeding in it. They came out to my brothers stand to check out a doe he had shot. They wouldn't leave. I actually walked over to him right before dark and the three bears were on the edge of the corn just looking at me. Finally they went off into the corn. Like they knew I couldn't shoot them! lol

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1

I’ve been lucky. In 3H there are plenty of bruins. This guy seemed to sit down perfectly centered and took a few selfies with my trail camera. 30 minutes into last opening day I dropped my 5th bear off my property in 23 years.

92AFD410-5B5A-485E-A79F-636E4EC2935B.jpeg

• Like 4

There are areas where the bear population is nowhere near carrying capacity. Areas where their stated goal is to limit the population at current levels. From a conservation standpoint, why do we have bear seasons in areas where bears haven't been legally harvested in at least 100 years? IMHO, bears should be protected in these areas so that populations can be allowed to expand. If they used the same logic on moose as they do on bears, we would have a moose season in the Adirondacks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

There are areas where the bear population is nowhere near carrying capacity. Areas where their stated goal is to limit the population at current levels. From a conservation standpoint, why do we have bear seasons in areas where bears haven't been legally harvested in at least 100 years? IMHO, bears should be protected in these areas so that populations can be allowed to expand. If they used the same logic on moose as they do on bears, we would have a moose season in the Adirondacks!

I guess we have a fraught relationship with predators. Parts of the Catskills have a September rifle season for bear. I assume there’s some overcapacity data  behind that decision…

4 hours ago, sbuff said:

Did it happen to be down Cleveland/ constsntia way . Getting a bear and bobcat on camera has been a goal of mine the last few years 

A few years ago one was swimming in Oneida lake on the north side by Cleveland. I was out there fishing that day too but didn't see it. https://luckybuckfishing.com/black-bear-spotted-swimming-across-oneida-lake/

I don't run cams but I know some were hanging around 315N outta Waterville the past couple years.  

Stopped 2x in a week for a sow n 2 cubs in northern Otsego county outside of Plainfield a couple years ago while driving. They're moving north slowly.

Have a friend in 3M Orange Cty and they're a menace. A stone's throw from NJ inside NY and they get big there. He see's them all the time and has to lock his trash lol.

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 1