Another top of the list for NY

suburbanfarmer

NY has one of the longest deer seasons in the country. I can put 4 or 5 deer in my freezer if so desired. You can hunt deer for 1/4 of the year here, 3 months, that's a hell of alot longer than most other states. Record book bucks are taken in NY every single yr, and with AR I'm seeing monsters in Ulster that I only could have dreamed of when I started hunting in the 1970s. The articles claim of 15.1 hunters per sq mile sounds skewed. Maybe in some areas during early rifle but I don't buy it and have never seen anything like that. If anything hunter numbers being down in NY has made the sport more enjoyable for many. I remember upstate NY hunting in the 1980, 1970s and it was ridiculous at certain points in the season where you'd see orange in any given direction on state land. Also saying that having to pay for an archery license is a hostile environment is ridiculous. Lots of states charge an additional fee for their archery seasons. With the awesome hunting and long seasons I've enjoyed in this state in my lifetime I feel I get more than my money's worth and would probably pay more if required. Sorry but the article sounds like a sales pitch more than anything else 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

NY has one of the longest deer seasons in the country. I can put 4 or 5 deer in my freezer if so desired. You can hunt deer for 1/4 of the year here, 3 months, that's a hell of alot longer than most other states. Record book bucks are taken in NY every single yr, and with AR I'm seeing monsters in Ulster that I only could have dreamed of when I started hunting in the 1970s. The articles claim of 15.1 hunters per sq mile sounds skewed. Maybe in some areas during early rifle but I don't buy it and have never seen anything like that. If anything hunter numbers being down in NY has made the sport more enjoyable for many. I remember upstate NY hunting in the 1980, 1970s and it was ridiculous at certain points in the season where you'd see orange in any given direction on state land. Also saying that having to pay for an archery license is a hostile environment is ridiculous. Lots of states charge an additional fee for their archery seasons. With the awesome hunting and long seasons I've enjoyed in this state in my lifetime I feel I get more than my money's worth and would probably pay more if required. Sorry but the article sounds like a sales pitch more than anything else 

I thought exactly the same thing, pure sales pitch.  NY is in the top spot for deer hunting in this meat hunters book. As far as the trophy guys go: if you don’t love it leave it.  There is 49 others that might welcome you with open arms.  

I am very happy that the power came back on.  Now I can get out there, for a couple hours after church and try to punch one of my  three remaining dmp tags, on a button buck that I have had my eye on for a while.  

That is the stage when they are the biggest trophy to my wife anyhow.  If I reorganize a bit, I think I can make space for one more of those in the freezers.

1CBFCCD9-8237-4CA0-BA6B-989649E458BF.jpeg

F7D8792E-9DAF-4AFB-88E5-CD7DEDC16BF3.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I thought exactly the same thing, pure sales pitch.  NY is in the top spot for deer hunting in this meat hunters book. As far as the trophy guys go: if you don’t love it leave it.  There is 49 others that might welcome you with open arms.  

I am very happy that the power came back on.  Now I can get out there, for a couple hours after church and try to punch one of my  three remaining dmp tags, on a button buck that I have had my eye on for a while.  

That is the stage when they are the biggest trophy to my wife anyhow.  If I reorganize a bit, I think I can make space for one more of those in the freezers.

1CBFCCD9-8237-4CA0-BA6B-989649E458BF.jpeg

F7D8792E-9DAF-4AFB-88E5-CD7DEDC16BF3.jpeg

Is that another pic of that “Big” buck?  That so called 100 pound button buck would be the pic to continue showing every post if -“Big” is what your trying to show?                 Won’t be holding any breath for that one either. 

• Like 3

All I know is that I've been hunting in NY for 2 years now, and have been successful both years. The bucks I see aren't near what they were in my native Illinois, but I've never been a trophy hunter. So far I'm pleased with my time in the woods in NY. 
That is a nice little advertisement for "The Ox Ranch in Texas" though. I read it's a haven for out of state hunters, whatever that means. 

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 3

Sounds like that guy hates NY.  As do I.  3.5 yrs and wife and I are outta this shit hole.

As far as hunting goes, I  disagree with him about NY being the worst. As mentioned, lots of states charge for archery season.  And highest annual snow fall? Maybe in the lake effect region. Definitely not in my area. 

• Like 3

Funny how the person that wrote the article didn't have the balls to put there name on it or open it to comments.I think the hunting is pretty decent here,not bragging but I put 2 bucks in p/y and didn't enter a third all from state land every year we see very impressive bucks taken,plus for me it's more then just deer hunting. I for one love it here in New York[politics aside].I retired last month and could go anywhere I want too. After looking around every state has it's own problems.I can't stand heat so I never even looked south.Tornado's and flooding no thanks droughts I'll pass. I only own 10 acers and my taxes don't even break a $1000 a year.I'll leave it at that I don't want to stomp on this thread.

Edited by rachunter
  • Like 3

Is that another pic of that “Big” buck?  That so called 100 pound button buck would be the pic to continue showing every post if -“Big” is what your trying to show?                 Won’t be holding any breath for that one either. 
I've been thinking the same exact thing. I've seen that picture interjected into a lot of posts lately, for a guy who is only cares about meat...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

I've been thinking the same exact thing. I've seen that picture interjected into a lot of posts lately, for a guy who is only cares about meat...

Lol. When your a so called “Meat” hunter…Which could be because they don’t have what it takes to take so called “Trophy” bucks every year..and you finally kill one with a little bit of calcium on its head it must make your stecker pick up a little.           Now even though that one there in his pic is a walker in my world it just shows how much shit that one is full of with his words when he has to throw a pic of it in there on about every post he makes.                           Can’t imagine what it would be like if he ever did kill a real so called “Trophy”

• Like 2

It’s all relative as they say . I could go hunt with friends in Montana every year , it generally takes them as long as a weekend to kill a buck like this . Some years they see 200 bucks a day ,you read that right .

Great buck , certainly not much of a challenge is it ? 

I went once took a small Mullie in the four days I hunted, they said it was an off year after a bad winter kill, idk perhaps I’m a jinx .

F6AB9250-2813-436A-8274-8FA535F96E3B.jpeg

Lol. When your a so called “Meat” hunter…Which could be because they don’t have what it takes to take so called “Trophy” bucks every year..and you finally kill one with a little bit of calcium on its head it must make your stecker pick up a little.           Now even though that one there in his pic is a walker in my world it just shows how much shit that one is full of with his words when he has to throw a pic of it in there on about every post he makes.                           Can’t imagine what it would be like if he ever did kill a real so called “Trophy”

Hi FSW! I missed you!!!
79f7e66c5ec848ca7983f6af205aad35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I have seen up and down in the 8N region..had an awesome yr in 2018 but the last 3 seasons have been dismal.

Regardless of area, if some one hunts hard enough they will get a deer. Not P&Y or B&C but enough to fill their freezers.

:)

True That. But to the write ups credit that is why Ny is down on the list. With some smarter laws made up and other tossed away a Ny hunter would be able to fill their freezer and still have a much better shot at a P&Y or B&C. Like a few of the states above #10 spot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

God provided deer to feed mankind, not to worship their antlers.  You and Chris might want to take that into at least a little consideration.

The only reason that I save my buck tags, during the first half of the seasons for those over 1.5 years old, is because my family of four needs about 150 pounds of boneless meat for a year.  Antlerless deer are hard to come by where I am, and I have limited time for trimming out doe fat.  

I am going to keep trying for that 100 pound button buck until January 1st.  If I get him, I will try and post some pictures for you and Chris. Then you two might finally see what a REAL trophy deer is.  

What state do you plan on retiring in ?

Edited by wolc123

Here’s how bad the hunting pressure is on state land. Yesterday after I got done hunting on the land, I hunt stopped hunting at 11. I took a ride over to two WMA’s Rattlesnake hill and Keeney swamp just to see what’s going on. Rattlesnake I saw 6 cars that’s on almost 10000 acres if you include the 2-state forest and the county land. I also went there on opening at about noon and saw 14 cars there. At Keeney yesterday on both the lower and upper roads there were 0 cars at 1230. That’s a lot of hunting pressure! I’m glad the guy doesn’t know how good the hunting can be here. If you read the whole article, he also doesn’t like cold weather either. Forgot to add over the last 4 years or so most of the bucks killed in the state were 2.5 years or older.

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2

God provided deer to feed mankind, not to worship their antlers.  You and Chris might want to take that into at least a little consideration.

The only reason that I save my buck tags, during the first half of the seasons for those over 1.5 years old, is because my family of four needs about 150 pounds of boneless meat for a year.  Antlerless deer are hard to come by where I am, and I have limited time for trimming out doe fat.  

I am going to keep trying for that 100 pound button buck until January 1st.  If I get him, I will try and post some pictures for you and Chris. Then you two might finally see what a REAL trophy deer is.  

First off, I take venison over antlers every year, always have. I have my meat for the year so I'm essentially done hunting.
Secondly, you seem to be doing a lot of antler worship of the buck you killed? You've attached the picture in seemingly every post you make or at least mention it, why is that?
Thirdly, your fawn kills don't impress me, so don't bother sending the pictures to me. And let's see that dressed button on a certified scale, none of this BS "make up your own weight" estimates.
And also, you don't have time to trim doe fat but somehow find the time to write 20 short novels on this site everyday, half of which you are clueless about.
Good luck on your quest for the dumbest deer in the woods this late season....

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Dude you really need to quit digging your hole deeper. You talk family needs this and that yet on another post you said your teenage kid just tried venison for the first time.   You talk bullshit of this and that of meat first yet you get lucky and an 80 inch bucks walks in front of you at its front page news on every post you make on every subject.   You think people respect your thoughts on any of it when you take pride in killing the dumbest deer in the woods. And talk more shit of 100 pound button bucks walking around. I can look out my window and see 25 of the top pedigreed, best fed no stressed button bucks in the state and doubtful if 5 of them weigh 100 pounds on the hoof.   That Meat over Antler bullshit you talk about holds no water when you can’t stop yourself from posting that monster 80 inch buck. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chrisw said:

First off, I take venison over antlers every year, always have. I have my meat for the year so I'm essentially done hunting.
Secondly, you seem to be doing a lot of antler worship of the buck you killed? You've attached the picture in seemingly every post you make or at least mention it, why is that?
Thirdly, your fawn kills don't impress me, so don't bother sending the pictures to me. And let's see that dressed button on a certified scale, none of this BS "make up your own weight" estimates.
And also, you don't have time to trim doe fat but somehow find the time to write 20 short novels on this site everyday, half of which you are clueless about.
Good luck on your quest for the dumbest deer in the woods this late season....

Don’t know about the scale, I will try if I have time.  I have a friend with a certified butcher’s scale about half way between our place and my parents, where he spends most of his time.   I will definitely get a chest girth on him, if I am fortunate enough to get him.  

He is lucky that photogenic former 11 pointer (maybe his father), that you are getting sick of seeing, showed up before he did last time I was in that stand.

looks like I got both of the sites antler worshipers pretty fired up now. 

Edited by wolc123

Don’t know about the scale, I will try if I have time.  I have a friend with a certified butcher’s scale about half way between our place and my parents, where he spends most of his time.   I will definitely get a chest girth on him, if I am fortunate enough to get him.  

He is lucky that photogenic former 11 pointer (maybe his father), that you are getting sick of seeing, showed up before he did last time I was in that stand.

looks like I got both of the sites antler worshipers pretty fired up now. 
I'm not fired up at all. Part of me thinks the only reason you're on this site at all is because, A) you think you're so much more knowledgeable than anyone else and you love spewing your off base science to an audience. B) you are a story teller, even in posts that may require a simple response, you go into a full story, not because you think it's useful, but you like the attention and love to hear yourself. C) I also think you just like annoying people, you get some satisfaction from nipping at heels like a tiny dog. D) It's also quite possible that you watch too many "homesteader" shows and fantasize about it. All of the "my family needs this amount of meat for the year," and "I need this many bass to feed my wife and kids." The whole chest girth BS, dude just buy a scale, if you'd use it I'll buy one and send it to you just so I don't have to see the ridiculous posts about it anymore.
Ultimately I want to like you, but you make it so hard with the constant BS and poking and made up science, constantly contradicting yourself. I get it we all have our moments but for crying out loud, "neck shots are disrespectful but I'll shoot one up the ass", "my button bucks weigh 100 lbs dressed," "a 243 is a terrible deer cartridge" all of these things are complete BS and I know that you know it. So why go down that road? You killed a good buck for your standards, good job. I'm not knocking the buck, I'm knocking the hypocrisy that is WOLC...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'm not fired up at all. Part of me thinks the only reason you're on this site at all is because, A) you think you're so much more knowledgeable than anyone else and you love spewing your off base science to an audience. B) you are a story teller, even in posts that may require a simple response, you go into a full story, not because you think it's useful, but you like the attention and love to hear yourself. C) I also think you just like annoying people, you get some satisfaction from nipping at heels like a tiny dog. D) It's also quite possible that you watch too many "homesteader" shows and fantasize about it. All of the "my family needs this amount of meat for the year," and "I need this many bass to feed my wife and kids." The whole chest girth BS, dude just buy a scale, if you'd use it I'll buy one and send it to you just so I don't have to see the ridiculous posts about it anymore.
Ultimately I want to like you, but you make it so hard with the constant BS and poking and made up science, constantly contradicting yourself. I get it we all have our moments but for crying out loud, "neck shots are disrespectful but I'll shoot one up the ass", "my button bucks weigh 100 lbs dressed," "a 243 is a terrible deer cartridge" all of these things are complete BS and I know that you know it. So why go down that road? You killed a good buck for your standards, good job. I'm not knocking the buck, I'm knocking the hypocrisy that is WOLC...

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings and I understand your frustration this year.  I have had a few years like that myself. There really is no reason to resort to personal attacks, like you and FSW have, but if you got to do it, I am thankful that I am the one who they are aimed at. 

You still got Late ML to get it done this year, and best of luck to you.  Hopefully, The Good Lord blesses you with an early Christmas present, that looks good up on a pedestal and tastes great.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings and I understand your frustration this year.  I have had a few years like that myself. There really is no reason to resort to personal attacks, like you and FSW have, but if you got to do it, I am thankful that I am the one who they are aimed at. 

You still got Late ML to get it done this year, and best of luck to you.  Hopefully, The Good Lord blesses you with an early Christmas present, that looks good up on a pedestal and tastes great.

Shows what kind of idiot you are. The man already told you his freezer is full and he is done hunting.   You make it pretty easy for people to show….Well I guess you already know what that is. 

• Like 1