So...would you shoot?

phade

I'm trying to figure out who would say no and why....

The question was raised on another thread about the safety factor & whether or not there would be enough light 1/2 nour before/after sunrise/sunset.

Clearly, in this case, this would be an ethical shot with any weapon if it was legal, which it isn't in New York.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I looked at the date. Sorry, again, God forbid any of you master posters make a damn mistake.

I stand by the snow makes things look brighter.

No I would not shoot. Even thought I only hunt with a bow.

This is a troll thread. You are looking for validation to break the law, or for others to accept and go along with breaking the law.

Been done 30 times since I been a member here. Wrong is wrong.

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt

• Like 1

If it was a clear shot with a good back-stop at legal shooting time that I felt comfortable taking the shot, then yes.

If it was legal shooting time, and not light enough to be sure it was clear beyond the target, I would wait it out or track it when I had enough light.

I have packed it in early many times because the woods was just too dark for safely taking a shot, and let some walk because not a safe direction, no good backstop, or clear target to pull the trigger.

Obviously, some of you did not notice the original OP did say if the legal time was changed to 1/2 before sunrise.  So, 1 minute after legal shooting time, safe shot/backstop, clear target, sufficient light - the deer would be in my sights while the trigger gets pulled.

I grew up in a 1/2 before sunrise state.  There is enough light to shoot most directions at that time.

assUme gets people into trouble all the time. That is why when something does not work right or assemble correctly, the first response is usually did you RTFM.  Missing one line of text can make all the difference.

In this case some read the date on the photo as the time and ignored the "if the legal time was changed to 1/2 before sunrise" part of the question.

Wasn't there some artificial lighting introduced from the cam's flash making it appear deceivingly brighter...? IF..it were all natural lighting, you'd be a fool to say you wouldn't shot in the scenario Phade described!!!

Sorry Moog, there's no bro-code when a buck like than is in front of you at 20yrds.  :devil:

That is probably one of the safest shots that you will ever see. All of the background is visible. There is a perfect earthen backstop. You almost never see that unless you hunt on rifle ranges. Even someone in full camo would be visible. Nice quartering away shot. Super close. If the law were changed to make that a legal shooting time, there is no question that you will never find a more safe and perfect shot than that.

Of course if I were standing there instead of a camera, he probably would never stand in that position ...... lol.

The other question is how much assist in vision is the infra-red giving.

Also how about we place that deer 50 to 75 yards farther down the trail in that un-backstopped dark area? That nice shooting light starts forming up some hard question marks, doesn't it? Would that still be acceptable shooting light and conditions?

"This spot is about as BAD as it gets for late light in the a.m."

Not really,  take away the snow, put him in the trees and then add foliage. 

All things being equal, it is as bad as it gets for light and that's the point I was making. If that setup was 100s SE, it'd be much brighter at that same date and time.

I don't think there's a darker place I could be on any property I hunt at that time and date.

That is probably one of the safest shots that you will ever see. All of the background is visible. There is a perfect earthen backstop. You almost never see that unless you hunt on rifle ranges. Even someone in full camo would be visible. Nice quartering away shot. Super close. If the law were changed to make that a legal shooting time, there is no question that you will never find a more safe and perfect shot than that.

Of course if I were standing there instead of a camera, he probably would never stand in that position ...... lol.

The other question is how much assist in vision is the infra-red giving.

Also how about we place that deer 50 to 75 yards farther down the trail in that un-backstopped dark area? That nice shooting light starts forming up some hard question marks, doesn't it? Would that still be acceptable shooting light and conditions?

Valid question. But I don't think that impacts the legal decision making process.

This spot here, you can pretty much shoot any direction and be safe. It's a bottom and no real way to put others in danger other than a random sky shot.

It looks like the same buck that's in phades new avatar so now I'm real curious what the story is with this fella. :dontknow:

Is that the same one?

Moog should have killed him. Dreaming about steak and eggs got us off the stand 15 minutes before he showed up one morning and then Moog probably could have shot him at last light, leaving that same stand in the pic setup...encountering him at another scrape on the way out. Buck stood there laughing at Moog since he knew Moog didn't have his release on.

Here's a day shot of him attached.

Still not as bad as my screw up this year, but hey, it makes me feel better, lol.

post-575-0-08637300-1418828959_thumb.jpg

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Also how about we place that deer 50 to 75 yards farther down the trail in that un-backstopped dark area?

75 yds down that trail is brighter and does have a backstop (big hill) another 100yds away.  Its still a safe shot unless someone is trespassing.  That said, from the stand, you couldn't make the shot that far away.  Trees in the way.

Moog should have killed him. Dreaming about steak and eggs got us off the stand 15 minutes before he showed up one morning and then Moog probably could have shot him at last light, leaving that same stand in the pic setup...encountering him at another scrape on the way out. Buck stood there laughing at Moog since he knew Moog didn't have his release on.

Still not as bad as my screw up this year, but hey, it makes me feel better, lol.

Geeze, thanks for making me feel even worse.  lol