Now that many have.....

growalot

2 extra early weeks...what will you do ?

Take off time to try and hit a bachelor group breaking up...

Take an early doe...get sausage and jerky out of the way...

Hold off except week ends until the pre/rut times then take the time off...

I will be out at one time or another.... everyday....if a good one shows up great...if not I will hit every stand area and see what they are doing as far as travel /times go(scouting)....

Depending on weather and tags I will take an early doe ...just to get sausage and jerky started

• Like 1

Same thing I have done for many many years, Will be hunting N. tier. Only this year I will be wondering whats happening down to camp in S.Tier at the same time. LOL I think most who have never had the chance to hunt the early season with bow is going to really like it. You get to see almost a complete change in seasons from leaves on the trees to fall colors and them dropping to even snow at times later on. It even brings a different approach to how and where you hunt with the potential of seeing deer you normally might not see later in the season as they break up and move on.

If it goes through, Ill be out for some morning and evening hunts to try and bust one of the big boys heading out to feed. I wont be taking much time off or doing any all day hunts that early though.

Might whack a doe or two though. Just gonna have to get them skinned out and quartered quickly.

If the Oct. 1st opener becomes official, a lot will depend on the weather as to whether I take advantage of the extra time or not. I really am not all that big on hunting while sweat is running down my back and mosquitos are buzzing around my head. However, as weird as weather has been this year, who knows ..... maybe we'll have snow on the ground on Oct 1st this year ..... lol.

One thing is for sure, any shots during hot weather will have to be as close to perfect as possible. We may not have the option of letting them lay overnight.

If the Oct. 1st opener becomes official, a lot will depend on the weather as to whether I take advantage of the extra time or not. I really am not all that big on hunting while sweat is running down my back and mosquitos are buzzing around my head. However, as weird as weather has been this year, who knows ..... maybe we'll have snow on the ground on Oct 1st this year ..... lol.

One thing is for sure, any shots during hot weather will have to be as close to perfect as possible. We may not have the option of letting them lay overnight.

Yea, but the green leaves with sure make the blood stand out! None of those damned red & yellow leaves to contend with.........

• Like 1

Yea, but the green leaves with sure make the blood stand out! None of those damned red & yellow leaves to contend with.........

Lol ..... Don't you just love those yellow maple leaves with the red spots on them?

I won’t get out till the weekend. The days are not as important as the days in November. I would have preferred 3 to 4 weeks add to the late season that if pushed for we could have had. But there was a loud vocal group that said they were owed those days in October and that other states do it. :suicide::roulette:

I am looking forward to prescouting during the early season sep dates. I consider bow hunting in the ADK more of a scouting trip to find big tracks and doe... When I tell people I still hunt the ADK with a bow I get that funny look... I let all doe pass as the area population is not very high, if I find a large group I might take a doe with last years tag, doubtful... I might even try suffolk this year as the short ride is easyer than a 6 hour trip up north and can be done as a day trip... If I can get over my Lyme/tick phobia.

I am looking forward to prescouting during the early season sep dates. I consider bow hunting in the ADK more of a scouting trip to find big tracks and doe... When I tell people I still hunt the ADK with a bow I get that funny look... I let all doe pass as the area population is not very high, if I find a large group I might take a doe with last years tag, doubtful... I might even try suffolk this year as the short ride is easyer than a 6 hour trip up north and can be done as a day trip... If I can get over my Lyme/tick phobia.

i get the funny look also but hope to be as successful as you someday. i too will be scouting again in late sept and plan to get out there for a week on the last 3 days of bow and first 3 days of rifle this year. haven't seen anything with the bow the last couple years, except a bear, which was nice. hoping if i am not successful with bow, maybe ill get lucky with the rifle.

I would not be suprised to see snow by then,every thing is about 1 month a head of scedule and with the lack of rain some time early OCT for the first snow for sure.Never hunted deer in short's and tee's before.

I hunted VA for about 9 years. It is a blast to sit out in short t shirt, with a bow in your hand. The key wioth a early hunt is hunting the food supply available. What is also great is if you see one buck you may see 4 at a time, as they are still in groups. We also found that if you hunt mid day ( noon ) find a rea that was lots of shade and a water supply. The bucks like a kool dark area to bed down as this reduces the number of black flys that are a real paain to the buck as they shed and start to rub there new horns. Down there you had to have a body bag, gut deer and put in bad to transport so no fly get into the body . But as you come into camp a cold beer, having a fire and cooking on the grill sure was better than facing snow and zero weather.,