Who would

Dom

Hunting is the driver for me....doesn't matter what. Good game management practices will tell you that does and fawns need to be culled just as well as bucks. I hunted in Germany and they practice this year round. You would be amazed at the quality and quantity of game animals there.

Bubba...I enjoy hunting small game and birds (especially waterfowl) more than hunting deer.. However I really LIKE venison, and living where I do,between NY and PA I get 3 or 4 doe permits per year..

Killing deer is a much more efficient way of filling the freezer than shooting ducks, rabbits, squirrels or grouse.

BTW.. Those yearling bucks taste just as good as does.. despite what some people might tell you, rutting 2.5 or 3.5 year old bucks don't taste as good as does or 1.5 year old bucks.. I've killed and eaten over 100 deer myself and have also eaten some samples of deer killed by friends..Rutting 2.5 to 3.5 year old bucks taste stronger, and anybody who says they don't is full of s**t or possibly has not had enough experience to know the difference. Notice I said " RUTTING" ..In NY any adult buck I have taken (or eaten some of) was rutting...I have taken adult mule deer bucks and adult caribou well before the rut and never noticed any strong flavor. I suspect a NY adult buck taken before the rut might be as good as a doe or younger buck. The ones I have eaten were taken from mid November to mid December, which is definitely rutting time in NY.

Before somebody plays the " meat handling" card, I have processed all my own deer since about 1966, and I have handled them all the same..

Well people, I'll be the first, maybe the only. Have never shot a doe. Have had plenty of chances. I let them pass. Ya Ya, I know, taking a doe is good for the deer herd. I like the 70+ lbs of meat off 180# bucks. and easier to process. A doe is a lot more work. Guess without bucks, I'd garage sale all my deer stuff.