Buying Ammo At Dick's

RTF

Just picked up some steel shot at Dick's Sporting Goods and I was required to show a valid ID and the cashier put my iD into their computer system. Is this normal? Never in 32 years have I ever had to do this.

• Like 1

Are you sure they didn't enter your personal info for their "rewards program" ?

Nope, as soon as she seen the boxes of ammo even before she scanned them she said I needed to show a valid ID. I gave her my drivers license and I watched here put my NY drivers license ID# into the register. I asked her why she was doing that and when did they start doing that? She said she has done it since the day she started there and couldnt give me an answer why it was required, but told me if I didnt show an ID I wasnt getting the ammo.

A few agos a walmart in PA was selling off the ammo inventory so my uncle bought like 24 cases of 12 gauge rounds, I don't remember how many but everything thing they had left of federal bulk packs of 22's and I few thousand rounds of 9mm. He had to call and have a guy from his shop bring over one of the trucks from work just to bring it all home. He had a guy from the sporting goods section pushing a dolly with the shotguns shells and pushed the cart with the rest to the register. When he got there the cashier called for a manager and they started questioning why he was buying so much and took his info. ultimately they sold it to him. Upon hearing about the sale we went back to stock up and they had a 4 box per customer limit

I went to Wally World (Walmart) today and bought 2 boxes of .270 and no questions for ID ! But I did see the sign thats states requests for Pistol ammo requires a Pistol license ... what if you want .22's for your/my rifle ? I didnt ask , I suppose I should have ! But then again I have alot of mileage on me !!!

I went to Wally World (Walmart) today and bought 2 boxes of .270 and no questions for ID ! But I did see the sign thats states requests for Pistol ammo requires a Pistol license ... what if you want .22's for your/my rifle ? I didnt ask , I suppose I should have ! But then again I have alot of mileage on me !!!

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/11833-employee-asked-what-kind-of-firearm-22-ammo-was-being-purchased-for/

• Like 1

yeah, the cashier might be new. they normally take your driver license info.

Just picked up some steel shot at Dick's Sporting Goods and I was required to show a valid ID and the cashier put my iD into their computer system. Is this normal? Never in 32 years have I ever had to do this.

i tried to buy .223 for my ar 15 and walmart wanted my rifle permit..... i said there was not such thing. after some debating with cashier and manager i was declined the sale and was not able to make the purchase. the next day my brother in law went to the same store and tried to buy .45 for his rifle and they asked for his pistol permit he told them it was for a rifle. the manager didnt believe him that some rifle shoot .45 he waws also not allowed to make the purchase

i tried to buy .223 for my ar 15 and walmart wanted my rifle permit..... i said there was not such thing. after some debating with cashier and manager i was declined the sale and was not able to make the purchase. the next day my brother in law went to the same store and tried to buy .45 for his rifle and they asked for his pistol permit he told them it was for a rifle. the manager didnt believe him that some rifle shoot .45 he waws also not allowed to make the purchase

That just reminded me at another Dick's store (not the same one I was at yesterday) I tried to buy a brick of .22 and the cashier demanded to see a "firearms" permit. I looked at her like she had 2 heads and said what the heck are you talking about. She could tell by the tone of my voice thingss were about to get ugly and quickly got on the phone to the store manager. Needless to say the situation was quickly resolved and I was sold the ammo. And NO they did not ask for any ID at this store to buy the ammo.

its gotten to the point where corporations are making their own laws. pre ban hi cap magazines are legal in NY state but you would be surprised at how many stores wont even sell them or ship them to you, just because they choose not to, even thought they are totally legal in our state. I have run across similar situations with black powder rifles and even crossbows??

Its pretty bad when stores start to dictate policies on whats legal or not.

we have a gun parts company in Kingston that wont sell a resident of NY state a 30 round pre ban(totally legal)ar-15 mag even if you go there personally to buy them, but they will send them to buyers in other states no problem?????????

i know that stores like to tout about their right of " ohh we reserve the right to sell or not to sell to whomever" but for Christ sake the law is the law isnt it, are there not enough laws against sportman and gun owners already without stores joinin in??

Edited by sits in trees

Need an ID to buy ammo? What about the poor people who dont have ID's to vote? How are they going to buy ammo? I expect the ACLU and the Dems to be all over this demanding that people's 2nd ammendment rights not be denied!!!! Yeah right!!!! Funny how they like to pick which rights they think you should have!!

Fine a local shop owner any one of the small shops or even a gun smith can get the ammo I dont spend my HARD earned in some corporate mall feed the local guy you might be suprised at the deals these small guys can give and if you dont have some one local try to reload it is a little cost to start but then you can do any load you want I reload most every thing

I reload most every thing

I load my own too which is definitely the way to go. However, I bought a Ruger 357 revolver this past spring and didn't have the reloading components yet. I went into Gander Mountain on two separate occasions, bought a box of 38 special one time and 357s the next. I was never asked for any ID or DOB.