Hunting hours

biggamefish

If yo hav an arrow nicked and you release on ... You are still hunting...no?

I dont think so, I would say being prepared for the time to come when you are able to hunt...I have to wait to knock a arrow at legal light??? Gun season load my 1100 in the stand at legal light that would scare of any deer..The whole point of going in early is to be prepared

I dont think so, I would say being prepared for the time to come when you are able to hunt...I have to wait to knock a arrow at legal light??? Gun season load my 1100 in the stand at legal light that would scare of any deer..The whole point of going in early is to be prepared

Actually you cannot have a loaded gun or nocked arrow after dark if you're deer hunting.... you are rationalizing it from a hunter point of view... law enforcement doesn't care about scaring the deer or you being prepared early.. they just care about the law... but i think most officers use their discretion to determine if you are purposely breaking the law

I am just making a broad wild statement, But think what I have gathered from 25 years of hunting is that most people dont really now what legal hunting hours are...If most hunters followed sunrise and sunset times, I would gather that most deer taking early or late were taking after legal shooting time For instance today was 7.24 AM and tonight 6.11 PM See how that works in your stand tonight..

I keep picturing myself coming out of the woods in complete darkness with my bow (arrow knocked or not), and having someone accuse me of hunting ...... lol. Shooting at things that I can't even see is not something that I have practiced a whole lot, but I'll bet it probably can't be done. Well, the law is the law even in situations where it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Here is the million dollar question. Has anyone ever gotten ticketed for this. Does it really matter if you are in your stand before sunrise or after sunset as long as you are not shooting at anything. I have been hunting for 20 years and have never gone and checked sunrise and sunset times. My general rule is i will take a shot 10 mins after i can see and 10 minuets before i cant see anymore.

Could you do me the favor of showing me in any of the deer regulations written by the DEC that states this or NYS legislation that states that...

I stand corrected.. that law is written only for specific public hunting areas like state parks et.c around the state... I could not find it as a general law that would pertain to private property.

Here is the million dollar question. Has anyone ever gotten ticketed for this. Does it really matter if you are in your stand before sunrise or after sunset as long as you are not shooting at anything. I have been hunting for 20 years and have never gone and checked sunrise and sunset times. My general rule is i will take a shot 10 mins after i can see and 10 minuets before i cant see anymore.

this is the law i follow too. Havent had an issue yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to chip in my 2cents.... Sunset occurs as the sun starts to past the horizon... not dark yet...... so if your hunting till dark your basically breaking the law. sunset generally begins 30 minutes before dark.

The same is also true with first light to sunrise... generally first light is 30 minutes before sunrise.

thats sorta my rule too altho ive got all the times on my phone so i go by that too...

I'm looking at the NYS ECL, the section regarding Hunting hours states, ""wild deer and bear (and a few other animals and birds) shall be taken only between the hours of sunrise and sunset.....so it sounds like the sunrise sunset rule only applies to the actual taking of the game, not travelling to and from stand and being in the woods before or after legal hours.

Just to chip in my 2cents.... Sunset occurs as the sun starts to past the horizon... not dark yet...... so if your hunting till dark your basically breaking the law. sunset generally begins 30 minutes before dark.

The same is also true with first light to sunrise... generally first light is 30 minutes before sunrise.

Depends on where you are sitting as to when you can actually see the sun setting...could be on a high spot over looking a large flat land,or could be sitting in a river bottom where the sun "sets" much sooner.I go by the actual time that is listed either way while hunting NY.In Pa,a half hour after sunset means you can see better with the scope/binos than you can with the nekkid eye.I highly doubt that there are many people sited for coming out of the woods in the dark.The ECO's have better things to police...poaching,baiting etc.

• 4 years later...
On 10/19/2012 at 12:44 PM, landtracdeerhunter said:

By definition, a person is hunting even if they disturb or worry wildlife whether or not they result in taking. Was told by gun safety coarse instructor as well as ECO's that this is a "Gray Area" If they feel a need to issue a ticket, they will.

There's no gray area. You can not have a loaded gun and a flashlight that has more than 2 AA batteries (actual definition is "small flashlight" this is the only gray area) in the woods before/after sunset. You can track wounded game with an unloaded gun with said "small" flashlight. If you want to go back and get a lantern/larger flashlight. leave the weapon  behind. If you have a light that is bigger than the guideline you can't have any weapon. It can be considered hunting with the aid of a light.

On 11/2/2012 at 10:23 PM, jasons75 said:

Which is why most state have 1/2 hour before/after sunset as the rule.

4 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

There's no gray area. You can not have a loaded gun and a flashlight that has more than 2 AA batteries (actual definition is "small flashlight" this is the only gray area) in the woods before/after sunset. You can track wounded game with an unloaded gun with said "small" flashlight. If you want to go back and get a lantern/larger flashlight. leave the weapon  behind. If you have a light that is bigger than the guideline you can't have any weapon. It can be considered hunting with the aid of a light.

Yes you can. Its all in the caliber. Predator season is open along side deer, and you can still hunt at night with the aid of spotlights.

BTW, you are replying to 5 year old posts lol

• Like 1

Wildcat could you direct me to where you found what you state?...

You can not have a loaded gun and a flashlight that has more than 2 AA batteries (actual definition is "small flashlight" this is the only gray area) in the woods before/after sunset. You can track wounded game with an unloaded gun with said "small" flashlight.

It's always been my understanding you can't have a loaded weapon on the road ...but in the woods? I believe it's you can't shoot before or after...I also was under the impression you can not trail with a loaded weapon nor shoot after dark....Which is why I have been in the woods at midnight gutting deer with just a head lamp and knife...As WNY  said coyote hunting and I believe maybe racoon all over lap. But tracking a deer and shooting it after dark is still a no, no as I recall. Walking to or from a stand is not hunting.

Hunting Hours

Big game hunting hours are sunrise to sunset. Sunday hunting is allowed in all areas of New York. There are some local exceptions. Check the area that you hunt carefully. For hunting on state parks, confirm regulations with the park before hunting.

To hunt - means to pursue, shoot, kill or capture (other than trap) wildlife and includes all lesser acts that disturb or worry wildlife whether or not they result in taking. Hunting also includes all acts to assist another person in taking wildlife.

I try to be in my stand a good 45 minutes before LST, with my bow on a hook, arrow nocked. If an ECO came along and wanted to ticket me i guess Id just pay it. I dont think Sunrise/Sunset are subjective, they list actual times on the weather apps for wherever you happen to be. 7:16AM/6:51PM today. If you waterfowl hunt I highly suggest you know the exact times

On 11/2/2012 at 10:23 PM, jasons75 said:

Not true. I have hunted in the mountains a lot and the sun dips below the horizon I see well before close of legal shootign time. Go by the time in your area that is published and you won't go wrong. 

• Like 1