Upper GI & Colonoscopy

Lawdwaz

I survived.

Man, last night was really something.........I'll hold off on details.

(One thing I'll add as a tip for anyone having this procedure, buy the top shelf TP. Don't use the cheap stuff that you probably use for daily work)

Thee procedure went well, I had a 7:30 appt. and was on time of course. I felt pretty good at this point but just wanted to get things started. A little of my light humor in the waiting room with the other victims always helps.

15 minutes of waiting, 30 minutes to slip out of the street clothes and then into the gown, one more quick evacuation and hop on the gurney. IV attempt on left arm-no good. Green light with right arm and then some sweet talking nurse is wheeling me into the "Shop of Horrors".

A few nurses moving around, joking about too much coffee and having the shakes! They hook up the high test and knock me right the hell out...........(the last I saw the clock it was 8:30am)

I think I woke myself up with all the escaping gas. Laying on my left side on the gurney still, blasting away and groggy, a nurse taps me on my right shoulder and says "how are you doing?" What, I didn't know you were there! Sorry for all the gas....she says "no, please fire away!" Awesome, only in America............

The Dr came in in the next 20 minutes and said he pulled a polyp from the lower region and it looked benign but they'd test it and get back to me with the results.

Stumbled out, wolfed down my sammies on the ride home and then hit the rack for 4 (FOUR!) hours. I feel good enough now to maybe eat some ice cream then take a little nap........................<grin>

Pics to follow! LOL

the worst part of the colonoscopy is having to drink that crap the day before they put you out before the test but you get to see the 20ft of garden hose there going to put up your ass, it also has a camera on it so smile. if your having a upper gi thats a kind of x-ray where you drink bad tasting stuff and they see how your upper gi tract is working. if there using the hose only 10ft thats called a endoscopy or something like that. you get good drugs. :fie:

Time now for a station break. The first five pages of this thread have been brought to you by. http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hunter-s-specialties-butt-out-ii-dressing-tool/0000000025147?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gclid=CIqt_evw9LQCFYKK4AodBDwA7g

Now we return to our program and the dark expanses of Lawdwaz's colon.

• Like 1

Better to get them both done at the same time, one round of sedation, one round of go-lytely (not so lytely) one round of oral barium and possibly rectal barium. Hope all is well.

It was an EGD so I don't think any barium is used? I (as far as I know!) never moved too much on the table while I was out? I started on my left side and woke up on my left side. I think I was out for about 60-75 minutes??

The last thing I remeber was the nurse saying something like OK, were going to get started and she hooked something else up to the IV then put a rubber band type thing around my head and positioned this thing in my mouth so I didn't break my teeth or bite into the cable they were sliding down the hatch.

Then it was lights out........................

At the start of this thread I thought the EGD & upper GI were the same thing. Years ago I had the barium/chest xray deal. That was no fun either!