Are You a Plucker or a Skinner?

Cabin Fever

Culver, you're referring to the legs, yes? 

I'm new to turkey hunting and got my first bird last spring.  I breasted it out.  It was quick and easy.  But, I felt guilty about leaving not making use of the rest of the bird.  I'll keep the legs next time and maybe smoke them and use them in a soup.  Does anyone roast the whole bird?

I prefer to breast myself so I can have nice thick slices of wild turkey cold cuts :). Last year for a little spring get together my buddies father cut a few breasts into strips and marinaded them in several different sauces for a day or two and then grilled them at the party. Talk about to die for! It made great finger food and was absolutely delicious, something kids would love to eat as well.

Im a skinner, fast easy, no mess and can be done right in the field. i usually deep fry the breasts anyway and let the legs lay where i clean them..

Same here, although I'm not so sure i would even call it skinning...knife in on the center and slice those breastisiz right out. I don't find any other meat on them things worth eating.

• Like 1

Culver, you're referring to the legs, yes? 

I'm new to turkey hunting and got my first bird last spring.  I breasted it out.  It was quick and easy.  But, I felt guilty about leaving not making use of the rest of the bird.  I'll keep the legs next time and maybe smoke them and use them in a soup.  Does anyone roast the whole bird?

Most times I skin it and take the breast off to roast or smoke. The rest I use in soup. I tried smoking the drumsticks once but the tendons in there are about a factor of 4 over a farm raised bird. Must be like the difference between a marathon runner and a couch potato..lol. You spend more time picking them out that eating the meat. If I am making a big pot of soup and have taken a jake I have used the whole bird in the soup. I usually freeze some then and it keeps really well.

Im a skinner, fast easy, no mess and can be done right in the field. i usually deep fry the breasts anyway and let the legs lay where i clean them..

Same here. Only time i do anything different is when i know someone has a turkey fryer waiting for a full bird!

I just breast out the gobblers in the spring and sometimes take the thigh meat too.  In the fall I'll pluck them (typically you get the smaller ones)...LOTS of ingrown-feathers to pluck out on the little guys though.  The key to plucking them is to get the water scalding HOT before you dunk the birds.  Also, keep in mind that they sure stink when they're wet!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Wild turkey cannot compare with other wild game for table fare. No way in hell would I pluck a wild turkey. I skin them just enough to get the breast steaks off along with the thighs (drumsticks???...still have not found a palatable way to use them!) I have a number of good recipes for the breast meat. For the thighs....either chunk, pound and deep fry for appetizers...or grind for burgers or sausage. Oh, and the deep-fry method for whole wild turkey....doesn't work. Deep-fried wild turkey tastes no different/better than roasted tame turkey. Those who say otherwise, are trying to justify their shooting of a turkey!

I'm a skinner also.  These days all I'll do with my birds is grind them up and make the FAMOUS T.MEYERS TURKEY TETRAZZINI recipe.  If you've never made it, condolences.

I will NEVER do anything different with a wild turkey.  As always, YMMV.

I skin the whole turkey. Bake, roast, fry or grill the breasts. Use the drumsticks in soup or stew. I let them slow cook all day until the meat is falling off the bone. When I use to  pheasant hunt,  I plucked a few birds....Giant pain in the ars.

Wild turkey cannot compare with other wild game for table fare. No way in hell would I pluck a wild turkey. I skin them just enough to get the breast steaks off along with the thighs (drumsticks???...still have not found a palatable way to use them!) I have a number of good recipes for the breast meat. For the thighs....either chunk, pound and deep fry for appetizers...or grind for burgers or sausage. Oh, and the deep-fry method for whole wild turkey....doesn't work. Deep-fried wild turkey tastes no different/better than roasted tame turkey. Those who say otherwise, are trying to justify their shooting of a turkey!

Deep frying doesnt work? Seems to have worked for us in the past. Not sure if supposed to taste different but man does it taste good!