Chainsaw

hunterman7956

if the budget is $200 and you want something that will last, then look for a used stihl, husqvarna or jonsered.  if you just want something to use once or twice a year that might last a few years polane, echo or any of the sears/home depot $200 saw will be good enough

For smaller stuff I use a Stihl 16" 025. I have cut 60 and 70 foot cottonwoods down with it, no problem. Its a perfect size for trimming, is light weight so it isnt a bear to carry distances if need be. They are not made anymore, but the comparable current model is the MS 250, which has an 18" bar. They go for $300 to $350 and I wouldnt get anything lower end than that, youll just be throwing your money away when you replace a cheaper one in 5 years.

The Bar length has more to do with the power of the saw motor and your height and arm length. A low horsepower won't handle a longer bar length in hardwoods, I run a Stihl MS 440 saw I had run a 16 inch bar and chain for years I switched to a 20 inch bar and it was a lot easier on the back .

I had a 16" Poulan from sears for $130 and it was a monster and super light. My neighbor laughed at me when I showed up to cut up a giant oak tree that he broke his Stihl on. I was the one laughing a few hours later when there was only logs left in his lawn. I gave that saw to my dad a few years ago when I got my Husqvarna and he puts about 8-10 full cords on it a year without problems. It was definitely more than enough saw for small jobs where a big saw will just get in your way.

I bought a Stihl 31.8 cc MS 180C 16" saw for $200 plus tax . Because I bought the saw , the case was 50% off and cost me $20 . It's a pretty good saw but I havn't used it much , yet .

x2,  & you can buy shorter length bars & chains to use it for trimming & limbing if need be.

I bought a poulan maybe 10 years ago for maybe 160 bucks, it is a 16 inch bar. For occasional use it has never let me down and always starts on just a couple pulls if not the first. Had to replace the pull cord once I think. Cut down 2 to 8 trees a year from pine to cherry 20 to 50 footers. It works.

I cut a bit more now and wanted a saw to really cut, the poulan labored a bit on the big hard stuff. I now have a Echo for about 500 or 600 bucks. Man that thing can chew wood!! It all matters what you want and how much you use it, and how big you are cutting. To spend 500 bucks on a saw you may cut a tree every year or two probably does not make a ton of sense unless you got extra dough!

I have bought several homelites, Poulans, McCullochs...none lasted or were reliable. I  finally anted up and bought a Husqvarna (sic?), and it has been totally reliable and trouble free. Both actually were used. My 20" bar I use for felling, but it was too heavy for extended time for limbing, smaller trees, etc. I found a barely used 16" at a local equipment shop for 150.00, about 1/2 price of the new. Chainsaws definetly are worth buying the best you can afford, and a quality 16" saw can do alot of cutting. Stihl and Husqvarna owners are both very vocal as far as which is best....both are very good.

I have bought several homelites, Poulans, McCullochs...none lasted or were reliable. I  finally anted up and bought a Husqvarna (sic?), and it has been totally reliable and trouble free. Both actually were used. My 20" bar I use for felling, but it was too heavy for extended time for limbing, smaller trees, etc. I found a barely used 16" at a local equipment shop for 150.00, about 1/2 price of the new. Chainsaws definetly are worth buying the best you can afford, and a quality 16" saw can do alot of cutting. Stihl and Husqvarna owners are both very vocal as far as which is best....both are very good.

i think it depends on the use. There's nothing wrong with a 16/18" lowes special if you're only pruning a few limbs and small to medium sized trees a year. But if you're going through several tanks of gas a year in your chainsaw I agree that it's better to spend the money up front.

Yes, I did my time with the McCullochs, Poulans, and such. They all turned out to be basically disposable saws. So finally I bit the bullet and bought a Stihl and I haven't looked back. It's hard to believe that anyone could have a love affair with a chainsaw but after decades of trying to slide by with lowest bidder, I finally have a saw that actually starts without pulling tendons in my arm and clutching my chest due to the impending heart attack, and the obligatory trip over to the neighbors to apologize for the language. I always thought that was all just part of cutting trees and firewood. So, I hope I haven't jinxed it all with all this praise, but just this afternoon I had a pretty big tree to hack up, and it was actually a pleasure to work with a piece of equipment that was designed with quality and the consumer in mind.

Oh and by the way, I'm quite sure that it was not really all that expensive. certainly less than a couple of those "throw-away saws that I have bought in the past.

I have a Stihl ( real good saw) about three years ago I was in the Home Depot & they had a Homelite 16" on sale. Marked down to $110 from $175, so I grabbed it just because it was so cheap....It has turned out to be a good saw. I use it for all kinds of small stuff around the house and it has been fine. If you are just going to use it once in a while.... save your money and  buy a less expensive saw.....It will work....

go to a good dealer stihl or husky and tell him what you want it for and what you might use it for, getting a saw for cuttin 1-2 cord of limb wood is a lot different that cutting 10 cord of wood a year fron 12-16 inch diameter wood.. when in doubt go to next bigger size. i have 5 saws and each does a different job, felling,bucking,topping ,trimming, and firewood. a good reputable dealer will know what size cc motor and bar you need, stay away from big box stores (even if they sell same saw,its not the same believe me) stihl and husky both have cheapend versions thatbig box stores sell but are a lot less that the dealer models.

Thanks for all the replys I bought a Echo cs310 for $ 199.00 at home depot 5 yr warrenty and a friend let me use his on this past sat and it worked really well 14 in bar  I will just use it to cut branches and trim so if in the future I find I need a beefier saw I'll get a stihl  Thanks again everyone ....

most guys I know have several saws, I myself have 3. echo 18", poulan 12", and an old Mccullah 20". all used, if you watch garage sales you can find a deal on good saw. But if you need it now go with the best you can afford. the most important thing is clean gas, proper mix of oil, and sharp chains.