I'm Just Sick!!

Cabin Fever

My wife texted me this morning while I was at work and said that it smelled like a dead animal in the basement and for me to check it out when I got home. Well, I went down and could smell "something", but couldn't locate the source. That is, until I saw all the liquid around the freezer! The freezer died and EVERYTHING was thawed and spoiled! I lost tenderloin, burgers, sausage, 100+ bullheads, both turkeys that my kids shot this spring, lots of chicken, a ham, etc... I feel like I just killed these animals and them go to waste! Man, I am just sick...  :(

Reminder.... Check those freezers!!

Damn that's a shame...we have two full size  upright freezers and two side by side frig/freezers....I check them daily. We loose power several times a year and have brown outs ...don't they have some sort of alarm that when the current reduces an alarm goes off to warn ppl?...If not someone should invent one...Though I do retain credit for the idea...hahahaha

Damn shame but its not your fault. A few years back my deer season was just about over, but I had a tag left. My friend who doesn't hunt, wanted venison so I went out one last time and was lucky enough to get another deer. I had it butchered and gave hime the whole deer (minus the tenderloins) . He put it in a freezer in his garage and his son unplugged it, to plug in a radio, and never plugged it back in. The rest is history. It was so bad he threw out the freezer. It pisses you right off but accidents happen.

Man that sucks! we had that happen a couple yrs ago.... almost happened again a couple weeks ago but the chest freezers are in my archery range (along the side) and i have some spraypaint and stuff for targets on em... i went to grab the spray paint and said WTH the freezer is unplugged!!! turns out someone had unplugged it to plug in a scale and forgot to plug it back in.... lucky i caught it!!!

I had my 7 cu ft Sears chest freezer die on me a couple years ago . It lasted one month past warranty expiration ( one year ) . Lost all my venison . I bought a GE at Home Depot and bought a 4 year extended warranty that starts after the one year after the original warranty runs out .

I bought an indoor / outdoor wireless thermometer and put the sensor in the new freezer and have the reading unit next to me at my computer . It's 4.3 degrees right now  .

• Like 1

Had that happen 2 years ago and yes it sucks.  When you go to buy you new freezer buy $24 worth of this insurance so it never happens again.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/hb-instrument-company-vwr-digital-refrigerator-freezer-thermometer-with-alarm-3804.html?gclid=COzH-7T3zLcCFZSe4AodzC0Amg&ef_id=Q39NcAeqGg8AAAMu:20130605123740:s

I dint loss power but had a friends son stay with us and he unplugged the freezer I dint find out till four days later lost all my venison and about 15 ducks and geese I was upset about the lost of all my game too  

papabear

Freezers are pretty straight forward refrigeration units. Most failures have to do with moisture eating away at the tube joints. Because of this, a moist basement is the worst place to keep a freezer. Refrigerators have more electrical components. Far more failures in the electrical side rather than leaking refrigerant.Most companies intall the circuit boards, that control the evaporator fan and the defrost mode, in the refrigerator side. This circuit board fails quite often, with evaporator fan motors failures coming in a strong 2nd. The mechanical vent control, that funnels cold air from the freezer side, failure fall 3rd.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

nuts I lost a bunch of my meat 2 winters ago when we had that bad storm in october. just went shopping to prepare for the storm and I start thawing some of my dee rout and low and behold a telephone pole came within 1 fopot of crashing through my back window of my condo. power company had to cut power for a week until they could get a truck back there. I put all the meats in a cooler and put snow in it but mid week it got warms again and then there was nothing I could do.....