How many does do you harvest???

I've been reading a lot of QDM articles and one in particular about doe harvesting got my attention. The article suggested taking 25% of the does that are on your property a year. My question is this... how do you know how many does are actually living on your property? I have 5 trail cameras running on 72 acres and I know for sure that I have four different bucks, a doe with two fawns, and one with one fawn. I also get pics with does by themselves. I just have no idea how to count those does. What do you guys think???

Honestly, I am not sure it makes a differnce...  We usually shoot 8 to 10 mature does a year on my property(115 acres) and do not see much of a change in population year to year..

For instance last evening there were 20 does and fawns in the 10 acre field behind my cabin at the same time...  I estimate the resident doe/fawn population to be in teh 50 to 60 range this timeof year.

I think what happens is that as we transition into winter, if you have a lot of winter forage and think bedding areas, other does and fawns "move in" and become residet for the next year (as do bucks)..

That is why I continue to say that winter forage is priority #1 when it comes to food plots...

The area I am in has a pretty high population, so maybe it is differnt elsewhere, but focus on Brassicas, standing corn, etc...  for the winter months and you can shott as many mature doe as you want..

A quick trip to the processor on opening day and it's easy to see the does and fawns in this area get hammered every year.

I haven't killed a doe in about 5 years now and really don't have the desire nor feel the need to anymore. I prefer to have them around durring the rut and late season, and the locals seem to be doing a pretty good job of keeping their population in check here.

I don't know there is a really accurate way to guesstimate your doe population without any odd characteristics to differentiate between them. Short of putting up a feeder to take a head count, you'll probably just have to go by individual encounters and pics from different locations on the property. A cam in plot watcher mode hung over every plot or field will give you a bit of an idea if your getting pics around the same time from different locations. Obviously they can't be at two places at one time, so you running 5 cams on a 72 acre area could give you a ballpark idea.

Depends on where I am hunting. Out in 8J I would shoot any I had tags for. Out back I may take 1 or 2 this year, I have been seeing a lot. Some years I do not see many and will not take any out there. I will never take a big old matriarch again from out back. Made that mistake 8 or so years ago and it changed the doe behavior on my little piece very negatively for years.

None because there has been to many if it's brown it's down hunters comming up by me and still poaching going on. a lot less deer then when I moved to where I am now.I have not seen a more then 2 year old deer in 3 years.The ECON officer should throw every fine he can at thest SOB's.

0. Shot a doe when I was 16 and 17, none since. The properties I hunt are very small if private (less than 10 acres) or state land. I have no interest in shooting does and I don't think the properties I hunt are overrun with them. I don't see many deer but when I do, it's a 50-50 chance it is a buck. I never see big groups of does hanging out together.

Most ratios are 1 buck.for 3 or more does. So if your seeing 4 buck you probably have at least 12 doe and fawn.. so start. with take 4. They say. 1 to 1 Is best ratio but nearly impossible to.reach IMO. I try to take 10 doe a year off my place and would adjust that number if neighbors took more or less.

Usually 2. No tags for my area so going for those helps prevent stand burn out on the property. Speaking of, I think the cams have given me a feel for whats out there and what could be there for next year if they hang around.

Edited by Fantail

Thanks for the input guys.  I'm definitely looking at it from a QDM stand point.  My partner and I let all deer, 1.5 years and younger, walk.  This year we can already see an improvement in the age structure on our property.  I hoping that between the minimum age requirement and food plots that I will be able to take my first "8" which we have on camera pretty regularly!!!

• Like 1

My experience, if there is food there will be deer, there will almost always be as many deer as the land can support...I try to take a Doe with my bow and I usually try to fill one of my two Doe permits, I let younger bucks walk and hold out for a more mature buck by choice...Does tend to be more territorial than bucks and a mature doe will keep other deer away from their home area...if you can take a good mature Doe that is dry, I think that helps the herd the most...I grew up hunting in the Tug Hill where there was very few deer, the area was logged 10-15 years ago and now there are more deer than some of my southern zone spots...if there is food, they will be there...good luck the season is almost here!!

• 3 weeks later...

depends which spot  hunt. on my main piece of hunting land I have never taken one in 13 years. I don't see a lot  of deer there. if I go to the swamp where my buddy goes then yes I will take a mature one, seems like it is a free for all there anyway. never seems to bother the population though.

You should read some articles on Camera Census, normally it is done with bait but you can do it without so you are legal.  I would also look at fawn recruitment rates... in the past it was 0.8 now some areas are reporting 0.2 that is a scary number.

Really you want to look at your habitat and have as many as the land can handle.  If you have browse lines, or trouble with forest regeneration, high winter kill numbers.. likely you have too many does.

For me we take usually 8 a year and it doesn't help,   but with all the work I have done to my habitat  I do have a pretty good draw.

http://www.qdma.com/articles/how-to-run-a-trail-camera-survey  

This article doesn't go into non baited census, mentions details in one of their books.  I have the book and will take a look at it and see if I can help.  I would REALLY suggest looking at regeneration of saplings though.