Hand Warmers - which are best?

nybuckboy

I have bought Grabbers from Phillipsons in the past and a few packs now but these just don't put out much heat and do not last very long. I have used some in the past, I think Heat Factory and they would emit heat with just a little shake and squeeze.

What is everyone using? Hot Hands, Grabbers, Heat Factory, Heat Max to name a few.

Gosh, yrs ago we had those jon-e hand warmers. They were great except for the lighter fluid smell that probably carried for miles!! Now I just use the ones u shake. Ive even thought about sewing some little pockets to my undershirt to stick some in on those cold days.

I use them all the time because I don't wear gloves hunting. Hot Hands is the best one I have used, and if you only sit in the morning and go back home or camp, you can put them in Ziplock bags and get some more use out of them the next hunt.

Make sure you get the handwarmers for in your pockets. If you put the foot warmers in your pockets they will get hotter than hell and run out of heat real quick. They are made for putting in your boots and don't need as much air as the hand warmers.

I use them all the time because I don't wear gloves hunting. Hot Hands is the best one I have used, and if you only sit in the morning and go back home or camp, you can put them in Ziplock bags and get some more use out of them the next hunt.

Make sure you get the handwarmers for in your pockets. If you put the foot warmers in your pockets they will get hotter than hell and run out of heat real quick. They are made for putting in your boots and don't need as much air as the hand warmers.

Agree on all fronts. The zip lock bag trick saves money pretty quick. I used to burn through two small hand warmers each hunt...so four a day. I can cut that down to two with a morning and afternoon hunt by placing them in the ziplock and sealing.

I agree with the hunters that preach Muff.  They really are awesome, the best in my opinion!!!  And then place a hand warmer or two in the muff, should be good to go for 5-7 hours.  I will never wear a glove on my shooting hand again.  It's too hard to get the release on D-Loop and then too noisy.  Much easier with no glove. 

I still have one from years and years ago. they stink. they are hot but they stink.

I even have had teh solid fuel stick type. They are very hot.

http://preparedness.com/solfuelhanpo.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=18283950120&utm_content=pla

But I too have a muff to put my hands in. That isthe best investment I have made. I use it from hunting to ice fishing to sporting events.

Solid fuel hand warmer. I use GI Surplus from Korean War era. There are several types out now on Ebay. I would get them lit and place them on the back of my neck underneath a balcava while fishing for Steelhead. They last about 8 - 10 hours depending on the fuel you use.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/solid-fuel-hand-warmer

Gloves will never keep your hands as warm as mittens. Mittens trap a lot more air. I have a pair made for me from a deerskin I took years ago. They open up and fold back on top of hand and stay put with velcro.  I also use a pair of GI surplus mittens that have a trigger finger on each hand and come up well past your wrist. If it's real cold I wear the cotton glove liners also.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/546434/military-surplus-trigger-finger-mitten-shell-cotton-and-leather-medium-olive-drab-and-tan

I've been using the Heat Factory's this year. I was kinda skeptical about the advertised 24 hr performance claim on the package, but they've been holding up from 5am till 5am the next day without zip-locking.

Last few seasons I've used another brand that was only good for 7 or 8hrs but they usually fizzled out before a days hunt was over..

When do you guys that use the boot warmers put them in your boots? Only when your feet start to get cold? Before your walk to the stand? Also how is the fit in the boot? I have 1000 gram insulated boots and my feet still get cold sitting in the morning. I wanted to try some of those boot warmers.

When do you guys that use the boot warmers put them in your boots? Only when your feet start to get cold? Before your walk to the stand? Also how is the fit in the boot? I have 1000 gram insulated boots and my feet still get cold sitting in the morning. I wanted to try some of those boot warmers.

from what I've read, you put them in the boot before you go into the woods. A lot of the time they take a while to actually get warm.

I'd recommend getting good quality wool socks. I bought a pair of the heaviest smart wool socks at dicks last season. I hated spending like $20 on a pair of socks but let me tell you, the Merrill wool that they use is top notch and I am amazed with the comfort and warmth provided, absolutely no itch either!

I use the Hot Hands toe warmers in my boots. Stick them to the bottom of a wool sock and go to go for most of the day. Muff with a few inside and no glove on shooting hand. I also use the adhesive backed hot hands body warmers on top of my base layer. They are really warm and last all day. But when it is really cold, nothing beats a packable down jacket. I have one from L.L. Bean that compresses into it's own pocket, i leave it in my pack, if i get really cold i throw it on under my outer layer and i'm good to go for the rest of the day.