Urban legend deer situation. What would you do?

Al Bundy

So I heard this floating around somewheres.  The scenario is just before end of legal shooting, open deer regular season. Hunter sees a deer, takes the legal shot though its getting close to quitting time. Deer takes off into standing corn, seemingly unharmed. Hunter goes and looks for blood. At this point is past legal shooting, getting dark. No blood found.  Hunter assumes a miss,  heads for home.  A ways later, deer runs out of the corn and nearly falls over in front of him some yards away. His deer he shot and hit and its hit bad. Now its laying there, its really getting dark and way past legal shooting. The deer is laying there, not doing well, suffering. Its an easy shot, no chance of hitting anything other than the deer. Take the shot????? 

Legend continues... Hunter calls DEC explains the scenario. DEC says dont take the shot.  What would you do???

Legend continues again.. Hunter approaches deer and it gets up, runs a bit and goes down again.  Its hurting but not done yet and is clearly miserable.  Hunter somehow gets a bow and quietly and quickly ends the misery. End of urban legend.

I kind of like this story and wonder what everyone thinks of it, what others would do different or the same???  It is illegal to shoot the bow after dark so technically this legand the law is broken. I guess alternatively, the hunter could have waited and came back some hours later when the deer finally expired. Seems kind of harsh but would satisfy the law.

??? Comments??

that's a good question... usually it runs off a little and you'd come back in the morning.  that situation is a little different with it in that physical state.  I think we're so programmed to follow the law I'm not sure people would think to shoot it or stop and think about it for a while.  the ethical thing would be to shoot it.  sounds like it's got enough left to gore you if you approached but not enough to get away.  not quite sure what I'd do.  if I was at my parent's house I'd call the others and then shoot it or do something.  anywhere else I'd probably save my butt and let it suffer I guess.  i'd hate to watch it until it died but I wouldn't want to leave and possibly lose it either.  I'd have to by law.

Past legal shooting means no shooting… gun or bow.

Perhaps the only thing one can do is call the warden and have him do the dispatch, otherwise wait till it dies, then it's all legal.

My deer die from fright just knowing I'm in the woods so I never worry about a senario such as you described.

• Like 3

To me, it is pretty simple  .End the deers suffering. Take  the punishment if you get caught. You know the rules.

Yes Sir. Deer runs out of corn and falls. I see its the one i had just shot at. Boom! Done without any seconds thoughts or worry about the outcome. I my eyes when i shot the first time i took the first step of the whole trip and that trip didnt end untill that deer was put down, The humane way!

• Like 4

I guess I would ask premission from our protector and overlords and watch the deer flop on the ground for a while, or I would simply take off my skirt and walk up to the deer, place the barrel a few inches away from its head shoot the damm thing.   No wonder we live in a nanny state.  People would actually call the cops.

Edited by mmkay

If its the deer that i shot and i could get another shot off i would take it to end the deer suffering and get my deer. No way i would be calling the DEC and waiting around for somebody to show up to do what i can do in a matter of minutes. Just my opinion. 

John

If I was in that situation I think I would shoot it.   Just a thought.  I know Deer Search can legally shoot a recovered/found deer if it's still alive.  They recovered a bad bow shot deer for me quite a few years back and they guy shot it with his .357.  The question does remain if they can after legal shooting time.   :scratchhead:  

If I was in that situation I think I would shoot it.   Just a thought.  I know Deer Search can legally shoot a recovered/found deer if it's still alive.  They recovered a bad bow shot deer for me quite a few years back and they guy shot it with his .357.  The question does remain if they can after legal shooting time.   :scratchhead:  

Yes they can.

I hit a doe one with the car, laying in road with. Broken legs, waited over 30 min for troopers to show up to dispatch it. After 10 min i got a 20 ounce hammer from trunk and took care of it. When they showed up i told them it died, and got my tag for it.

• Like 2

Ive shot deer on the side of the road after they have gotten hit by cars, at night, out of season. As long as you are safe about it, the cops dont give a rats ass. They would rather not do the paperwork required each time they discharge their gun anyway. I dont see any difference.

I have taken follow up shots to put deer down after legal hours before.