Stand with Phil

josephmrtn

All the crap going down in this government...games that congress are playing before the end of year... and this is what ppl are focused on?! No wonder things are going to he'll

Hey...to all the homosexual s...ppl of any color...woman...little ppl...giants...challenged in any way ppl...religious or non religious ppl...You fought . and won man y if not most of the rights you've wanted... and deserved

Now....leave Everyone's right to free speech alone...Don't like it...Don't listen....unless it's some thing that blatantly calls to incite violence or impede the rights you now have....it was the right to free speech that allowed YOU to win the rights you wanted!

• Like 3

The problem is really the silent majority.   The libtards/progressives have run the mainstream medium for years and will broadcast anything that promotes their agenda and block most things, if they can, that rebutts it.  Small fraction groups who are vocal and yell, have demonstrations, disrupt speeches etc will get press and the politicians, who are on the libtards payrolls, will bow and implement what the libtards want.   I've maintained that items such as abortion, gay marriage, guns, etc should be put on a national referendum and let the PEOPLE, ALL OF 'EM, vote on it! Not the paid for "representatives" who only represent their wallets.

I think the majority of people would support the more traditional views and values. Problem is, the silent majority sits in their living rooms complaining on the internet instead of organizing to take on the libtards.  That may happen someday but I fear the way things are going with todays government, it's liable to be too late. 

Now I'm not saying I'm above the frey. I'm just as guilty as most. I sit here and biatch with the best of 'em, but at least I do take the time to routinely write notes to my "Representatives", including the White House, regarding issues.  I'm probably on every watch list in Washington.  Hopefully that won't affect our flights on Tuesday too badly. I honestly believe it has in the past, but that's a different subject.

Until the silent majority raises up and speaks out and until we actually start treating people fairly and TRULY equally, this country will continue on it's downward spiral. Case in point, why aren't these black youths who do this "knockout" chit being charged with hate crimes?  Whites would be. (And yes, a note went to my "Representatives" about that).  That's just one example.

I hope this makes some sort of sense, I know what I mean but am not the most articulate  individual on the planet.

• Like 1

I'M SO SICK OF ALL THE BICKERING!!

EVERY THREAD GOES RIGHT DOWN THE TOILET!!

WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS TAKE THIS TO A PM??

MODS!!!

It's Christmas guys, lighten up.  Try and follow my lead.................................................. :santaclaus:

What bickering?  I even changed my forum name just to make you happy.   Some people just want everything.... sheesh.... sounds like you need a vacation.

edit: I would agree that the two threads should probably be merged though.

Edited by bluecoupe

He can express himself, but he is afforded protection from the government only...The company he works for does not have to accept or put up with his bigoted rambling.   Face it, Phil was a loser....Finding God (whoever she is) and making a million bucks from a business that offers really nothing to the country that supports his lazy ass doesn't give him the right to share his prejudice in public.  If you support Phil...you are just like him...a loser, no matter how rich!!!

I know you and I have gone down the whole street before but I do have to agree that A&E had a right to do what they did (until I see anything in their contracts to suggest otherwise). I understand you disdain for religion but they are his beliefs. Did you actually read the article that started all of this?

I do not agree with A&E's position, and I do not agree with Phil's comments, but it is his right to make them… and others have a right to condemn them.   

For A&E the bottom line is THE BOTTOM LINE. They are a private corporation owned by liberally minded organizations. The Robertson's are as conservative as they come.  How is that ever going to work? Its like an episode of Wife Swap on steroids.   At some point they agreed to a deal that would generate millions of dollars for A&E, people they fundamentally disagree with on many if not all social issues, for the prospect of making millions for themselves. In doing so I believe they demonstrate that they will compromise their core principles if the money is right.

I think they are undoubtedly good, honest people, but they should have had enough common sense to know what they were getting into and the same goes for A&E. The network had to know Phi's position was potentially controversial, they should have had an agreement preventing him from doing interviews outside of A&E's network and therefore control what got out. 

Agree with Phil or not, you just can't say things like he said if you are a public figure and not expect to be slammed for it by someone. It is not a constitutional, freedom of speech issue though. He is not being arrested, he is being fired. It is a private business matter. They are employees of A&E.  Any one of us can be fired for any number of things, including what we say or do in public.

Interesting fact  - I overheard some people in my building this morning, talking about wanting to watch the show now, because they wanted to know what all of the fuss was about…NEW viewers!  Maybe the Robertsons and A&E are smarter than we think?

• Like 1

I never said rights were taken away I said freedoms were being whittled away with the assistance of people who think like you do.

No way do I think like Early here, but this is no way a freedom issue. If you say that right away you are being a hypocrite because A and E has the same freedoms to suspend Phil just as Phil has the freedom to say whatever he wants this is a free country and A and E is a private company, they can do what they want. Don't be a hypocrite. Now Phil has the freedom to leave that company and go make money somewhere else. If you respect Phils right to say what he wants, ultimately you have to respect A and E's right to suspend him. The Roberstons should just say see ya later A and E and go make money somewhere else. You have no idea what his contract is and what the terms are, maybe it says if you utter the word homosexual you will be suspended, you don't know that. There is no freedoms being taken away here, just  a really bad move on A and Es part, but it sure is getting a lot of attention.

Edited by dhuntley2

I don't understand the controversy here. He has the constitutional right to make ignorant and silly statements and his employer has the right to suspend or terminate him if they feel that his statements reflect negatively on the company. His right to free speech was not taken away. He's simply being held accountable for his statements. The company has the right to make sure that the shows that they air reflect well on them.

You hit it right on the head Virgil.

• Like 1

Agree with Phil or not, you just can't say things like he said if you are a public figure and not expect to be slammed for it by someone. It is not a constitutional, freedom of speech issue though. He is not being arrested, he is being fired. It is a private business matter. They are employees of A&E.  Any one of us can be fired for any number of things, including what we say or do in public.

The thread honestly should end with the statement above.  Any one of us could be fired for saying something the boss don't like, be it at work, or outside of work.  NO way is this a freedom of speech issue.  You open your mouth in the wrong way with your employer and you can be gone.  The constitution or freedom of speech won't save you.  Sorry.

Hi! I just signed the petition "A&E Networks: End The Wrongful Suspension Of Phil Robertson" on Change.org. It's important. Will you sign it too? Here's the link: http://www.change.org/petitions/a-e-networks-end-the-wrongful-suspension-of-phil-robertson?share_id= IBKYBbvCmj&utm_campaign= signature_receipt&utm_medium= email&utm_source=share_petition

I'll stand by Phil, Joseph only because he and every other American in a Democratic society, has the 1st Amendment right to voice their opinion. I cannot, on the other hand sign the petition, because I feel the Duck Dynasty show deserves a better station. I cannot and will not support  A & E networks liberal management.

• Like 2

No way do I think like Early here, but this is no way a freedom issue. If you say that right away you are being a hypocrite because A and E has the same freedoms to suspend Phil just as Phil has the freedom to say whatever he wants this is a free country and A and E is a private company, they can do what they want. Don't be a hypocrite. Now Phil has the freedom to leave that company and go make money somewhere else. If you respect Phils right to say what he wants, ultimately you have to respect A and E's right to suspend him. The Roberstons should just say see ya later A and E and go make money somewhere else. You have no idea what his contract is and what the terms are, maybe it says if you utter the word homosexual you will be suspended, you don't know that. There is no freedoms being taken away here, just  a really bad move on A and Es part, but it sure is getting a lot of attention.

I will say though that I would bet Phil has a decent grounds for a lawsuit. A&E knew of his beliefs, knew he was actually a preacher. Why fire him now? I would bet the views he expressed in the article are no different than he has in his preaching. If they chose to fire him now and didn't before, or at least put him on notice before there is a legal issue there.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I think this guy was totally set up by GQ, which no one has read since the 1990's. They know he is a very religious man so "LETS INTERVIEW HIM AND ASKE HIS OPINION ON HOMOSEXUALITY" Gee what do you think that opinion well be ?  for or against? They did it to start a pissing match and to draw attention to there sorry magazine, and it worked. This thread is proof of that.

• Like 2

Funny....I did not see anyone here suggesting that rights be taken away.  Be specific, Bubbs.....What are you talking about.  No more of your senseless ranting, just pull up the quotes where anyone supported the taking away of rights.

Of course you don't see any rights being taken away, because you don't understand that "freedom of speech" is a right. You feel it is a privilege that only you and your ilk should enjoy.

I will say though that I would bet Phil has a decent grounds for a lawsuit. A&E knew of his beliefs, knew he was actually a preacher. Why fire him now? I would bet the views he expressed in the article are no different than he has in his preaching. If they chose to fire him now and didn't before, or at least put him on notice before there is a legal issue there.

Very true, there is video of his preaching from 3 years ago out there, way before DD was a show so they knew I'm sure.

NO ONE SAID HE CAN"T SPEAK!!! HE IS NOT GOING TO JAIL!!! Jesus you guys are draining.

Actually by punishing someone for speaking there mind, is taking away his right.

For the record I do not agree with a single thing he said, however, he has the Right to say whatever he wants.

Same thing when Al Sharpton calls racism anytime a black person is in trouble. I don't agree with anything he has to say, but he has the right to say it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have any of your guys that keep saying his Constitutional rights have been violated actually read the 1st amendment? Do you understand it is a limiting factor on GOVERNEMNT and not private companies?

And Mod's WTF is up with not being able to past into this window anymore? Is is just me or is anyone else having the issue?

Have any of your guys that keep saying his Constitutional rights have been violated actually read the 1st amendment? Do you understand it is a limiting factor on GOVERNEMNT and not private companies?

And Mod's WTF is up with not being able to past into this window anymore? Is is just me or is anyone else having the issue?

Seems to be at your end Culver - cut/paste works ok from here.

I think this guy was totally set up by GQ, which no one has read since the 1990's. They know he is a very religious man so "LETS INTERVIEW HIM AND ASKE HIS OPINION ON HOMOSEXUALITY" Gee what do you think that opinion well be ?  for or against? They did it to start a pissing match and to draw attention to there sorry magazine, and it worked. This thread is proof of that.

exactly

Actually Culver - there are two aspects of the First Amendment that include the Establishment clause (gov can't take any action to establish a religion) and the free exercise clause (allows individuals to speak their mind with certain limitations (ex. yelling fire in a crowded theater)). 

I believe strongly in the truth of the Bible and Phil's comments are based on scripture (He even quoted some).  That said, whether you agree with Phil or not or agree that the Bible is truth, he had the right to make the statement and, I am sure, A&E had the right under their contract with Phil to suspend or terminate him if he made any public statement that they believe reflects adversely on A&E.  In the end, its not a Consitutional issue - its a contractual issue and none of us are privy to the terms of that contract.  I make an assumption here based on my own experience in addressing these types of issues on contracts - certain types of contracts like this undoubtedly have such a provision.

• Like 1

The French author Voltaire is widely credited with the famous quote as follows: "I may not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to my death your right to say it." The critics of Phil could learn a little lesson from him. Free speech does not only include "politically correct" speech.

• Like 1