Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

4 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Still raining, supposed to stop around 2AM they said. Now, stopping around 7-8 (ish). Waiting to see what it does. Might have to do the evening sit today, or the 10-2 shift.

Couple more weeks that 10-2 will be a great time to be in the woods. Always see more bucks then.  My dad always loved that time of the day as well. He would leave the woods at 9 to get food to make sure he was back for that time frame. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Couple more weeks that 10-2 will be a great time to be in the woods. Always see more bucks then.  My dad always loved that time of the day as well. He would leave the woods at 9 to get food to make sure he was back for that time frame. 

Started doing that time slot sit last season more often, and one so far this season. Mainly for the same reason, rainy mornings. Not a huge fan, as that time slot seem to be when more people are out hiking on some of the public land I hunt. I have a dry blind I could go sit, I just don't like hunting in the rain.

Can't get out tomorrow, have a wedding and the weather looks great. Weather looks good Sunday as well. Monday is packing up for the Dacks.

Cams were really slow for the past 48 hours overall but still had a few bucks on their feet in daylight. most of it has been in a low laying spot that has some wind shelter.

One of our target bucks has been showing up consistently at 430-5 AM time across a few different cams. Heading to same area which is large standing corn. I believe that’ll come down in next few days so we will see what he does. 

Three new bucks have showed up this week on cams in Ohio. So, things be changing…

Will be out this afternoon for sure.

Made it in to a brand new stand I put in this summer. It’s a quiet and damp morning. Didn’t bump anything but had a small buck at the stand about 5 minutes before I got there. Could here him walking around me as I climbed up.

A shooter was at another stand 45min before legal. They’re getting closer and closer to shooting hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phade said:

Cams were really slow for the past 48 hours overall but still had a few bucks on their feet in daylight. most of it has been in a low laying spot that has some wind shelter.

Same on my cams for last 48. Had been getting a few nice bucks before that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

Just shot a doe quartered away a little back, she struggled and is bedded 30 yards away in the thick. Hasnt moved the grass in awhile

A little back, quartering away is perfect.  Sounds like the meat is as good as in the freezer. 

• Like 2

I was in a hallway conversation with a guy who hunts. He is a pretty typical hunter - has a bow, goes out a few times, and gun hunts a bit more. But he gets out there.

Anyhow he was telling me how does do not use scrapes. I know that’s clearly not true but there was no changing his mind based on his confidence level of his statement. He also told me the rut was on.

Definitely looking to get into a stand this PM. Away from this madness.

BD3AF4A6-5D17-4B0B-9EED-D1D0D7E2566D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, phade said:

I was in a hallway conversation with a guy who hunts. He is a pretty typical hunter - has a bow, goes out a few times, and gun hunts a bit more. But he gets out there.

Anyhow he was telling me how does do not use scrapes. I know that’s clearly not true but there was no changing his mind based on his confidence level of his statement. He also told me the rut was on.

Does have been blowing up the tactacam I have on a scrape right now. They use them alot!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, phade said:

This is a staged picture too!!!!  He probably has a buddy's brothers, cousin that see's mountain loins every year also. 

Cool pic!

• Like 1

Winds look like they're stabilizing back to normal SW for the next week or so. Wind is one of multiple factors, but probably a major one. Might be a good chance to get a buck on a pattern. He may continue similar patterns in the same wind if there is no change/disruption. Pressure seems to be nudging up to 30 and a touch over 1-2x this week. Mid to late next week the pressure jumps to almost 30.1 which should increase activity a bit too. 

I'm hoping deer are on their feet this evening after the weather yesterday. We're in a state of flux with crops having come down and coming down. Nothing clear to jump on pattern wise. I'm gonna go sit a field corner that has a nearby funnel and hope for the best. Also fix two cell cams that have limbs in front of them now from this wind...

• Like 2