Shooting Jakes

Uncle Nicky

normally no, I try not to shoot jakes, but at the same time if he gives you a good hunt and comes in gobblin, why not.? Last year I screwed with 4 jakes from a blind at 10 ft. they couldn't see me moving the call so I keep playing with them to see their reaction, as it turns out the big guy was waiting in the wings and I wouldn't have had a chance to bag him if I shot one of the jakes. Killed him at 40 yds. as he tried to sneak behind the blind.

...No.. However I certainly don't care if the next guy does. If I were to shoot jakes most years my season would be over in the first few days. I'd rather let the jakers walk and hold out for an adult gobbler. If I want to eat turkey, I'd really rather have a Butterball.

The two people that have permission to hunt my fiance's property both shot jakes last year.

One of the guys is parapelegic and is happy to get a shot at any gobbler. The other guy is from Canada and only has a few days to hunt here, so he generally shoots any legal bird down here.

• Like 1

I hold out for a few weeks,but if I don't have one down mid way through May and a jake comes in without a longbeard I will take one.That first weekend I don't want to mess up taking a jake early,to each his own though.A few years ago I wouldn't have waited and my hunting partner wont wait unless the jake has a tom on his tail coming in.Its all in what YOU want to do.Make yourself happy,I feel the same about deer hunting also!!

Jakes are usually the 1st birds to fall to predators as they come easyest to a call and are nat as warry as their hormones are in full control..no reason not to take one... I've seen red fox yelp like a hen and call Jakes in.. I would assume coyotes have learned to do the same.

last year I had a big looooong beard located and hunted him hard first 3/4 of season.Every morning he would approach different angle with a trio of jakes..could have taken a jake...but held out for the big guy..,one time had him close and needed just a few more steps to clear brush..no shot

Nicknamed him "Moby Dick"..beard litterally dragging on the ground.Never did kill a spring bird.Never saw him in the fall..Got a nice jake that came in on the last day of fall season..Sure tasted good after waiting all year! Going up next week to scout....heard Moby was spotted!!..He lives!!

Hopefully this season things play out differently.

Have had ample chances at jakes in past years, filmed instead. Much about my turkey hunting has to do with a good challenge on a nice older tom.  I like a good hard, earned hunt, one that I can tell the grand kids later down the road. I want a nice big tom, that I can mount. The deer are getting lonely, LOL.

I prefer to harvest long beards as I have killed my share of gobblers. I do not have any objection to anyone harvesting a jake. My thought is that this years jake will be a gobbler next year as long as he does  not become a predator's meal.

• Like 1