Are You Proud To Be From NY?

Five Seasons

No, there's nothing to be proud of about where you were born and raised. For most of us it is a simple accident of life's events. For example, I didn't choose to be born here. I didn't choose to be raised here. And there was no particular challenge or achievement in staying here other than some great occupational benefits. It is your life and accomplishments that you can take pride in, not some point on a map.

• Like 1

No, there's nothing to be proud of about where you were born and raised. For most of us it is a simple accident of life's events. For example, I didn't choose to be born here. I didn't choose to be raised here. And there was no particular challenge or achievement in staying here other than some great occupational benefits. It is your life and accomplishments that you can take pride in, not some point on a map.

I guess the same logic could be applied regarding your status as a citizen of the US.  Not sure I agree that you can't be proud of your homeland, be it country or state.  IMHO, both NY and the US need change.

• Like 4

I guess the same logic could be applied regarding your status as a citizen of the US.  Not sure I agree that you can't be proud of your homeland, be it country or state.  IMHO, both NY and the US need change.

And I'm not sure there is any place on earth that doesn't need change. But yes, even the country that we live in is primarily an accident of life for those of us that were born here. Nationalism is a kind of pride I suppose, since there are things that a country stands for that can be pointed to and viewed with pride. But I can't see anything that anyone could whip up any pride about that relates to any one of the states. Seriously, I don't have that kind of emotion relative to a state.

I have never really thought much about it. I guess I would have to say no. If I could move my Job family and friends to a less libral state I would do it tomorrow, but NY has many good things. 4 seasons. You don't have to worry to much about extreme weather. You can go from a City with tons to do to the middle of the sticks with a short drive. Beautiful Lakes and mountains. I guess I wish the state would change more than I would like to change states.

Regardless of how much I hate some of the ridiculous policies or whatever else crap the state (and in my case, the city) has on it, I will always be proud of it.  NY is where I grew up.  It is a part of me and who I am.  For me to hate NY is for me to hate myself or my family.  Sure, when I look in the mirror, I hate the extra few pounds that I'm carrying or the fact that I can do certain things better but in the end, I'm proud of who I am and I'm a New Yorker.

As a short term Airforce brat long term FAA brat I was:

Born in Jersey, lived in half a dozen states before age 3...my 1st lil brother was born in Tacoma, WA 2 weeks after Mt St Helens erupted. I remember snowplows moving inches of volcanic ash.

Lived in Cny a few early school years, raised primarily in eastern PA and now back in NY where I graduated college many years ago.

I've also circumnavigated the continental US twice in my 20s and spent time in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Bermuda, PR, DR, VI, Mexico and most recently the Italian and Austrian Alps.

After all that I will say that NY is a fine place to live...the Finger Lakes region where I reside is my favorite place in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 2

Kind of how I feel. I think there certainly is nationalistic pride, hometown pride etc. But I was also born here by circumstance, and I think many stay because that's where are family is. Some leave and want to come back... but i'm not sure it's because of the state. I think it's family.

I personally can't stand the politics and taxes of the state. I'll always be proud of having a place in the Adirondacks, but I find it hard to brag to others about our state.

This is kind of a silly question to me.

I don't relate pride to where my or anyone elses roots are planted.

You should be proud of the person you are, not where you come from.

If you're proud to be a NY'er, or Floridian, or Alaskan, or Mississippian..... I could care less if you're an idiot,lol

• Like 2

This is kind of a silly question to me.

I don't relate pride to where my or anyone elses roots are planted.

You should be proud of the person you are, not where you come from.

If you're proud to be a NY'er, or Floridian, or Alaskan, or Mississippian..... I could care less if you're an idiot,lol

Perhaps the wording is wrong. I know some people who were born in certain countries who have done things that result in people being oppressed or beaten (North Korea). Perhaps these people (if not brainwashed) are embarrassed or saddened that they live where they do.

When traveling and meeting other gun owners are you embarrassed as a gun owner from NY?

Proud to be an upstate or western NYer. Not as much as a NYer as a whole because of the politics/taxes. While I really enjoy this area, I would leave in a heartbeat for greener pastures if I were convinced it were true AND my family wasn't tied to the area. As such, my best chance for relocation will likely be an island in the Carribbean upon retirement - I've at least got the wife talked into that and I just need to keep it up.

Proud to be an upstate or western NYer. Not as much as a NYer as a whole because of the politics/taxes. While I really enjoy this area, I would leave in a heartbeat for greener pastures if I were convinced it were true AND my family wasn't tied to the area. As such, my best chance for relocation will likely be an island in the Carribbean upon retirement - I've at least got the wife talked into that and I just need to keep it up.

are there tropical islands with 130 class and up whitetails? B)

I think once you start going outside of this country, NY's gun laws probably don't look so bad.

That's what I tell clowns like Papist and VJP, who keep bitching about how bad and hopeless things are in this country.  I dare them to revoke their US citizenships and find a country where they will be allowed as much freedom as in this country.  Let's not even get into gun ownership.  They damned sure wouldn't be owning AR type rifles as easily or everything else we could own in this country, even in NYS.  Good luck to them in search of their utopias!! LOL

are there tropical islands with 130 class and up whitetails? B)

If money permits, I'd do the same thing. Just keep a small property upstate and come back for hunting season. Spend the rest of the year salt water fishing off a Caribbean coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not a resident, but I went to college in NY and I own some land there. Beautiful state, and I'm curious why anyone would be embarrassed to have been born there. Maybe the politics & gun laws are a little over the top and the winters are a little too long, but in general the people I've met from NY have been decent. I'm sometimes embarrassed to say I'm from PA, we've got some real boneheaded, backward-ass, stubborn people living here.

post-264-0-81627800-1401388858_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-05147500-1401389039_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle Nicky

I spent all but 6 years living in very quiet, thinly populated, rural, surroundings with a mix of farms and hundreds of un-broken, forested, acreage and extremely high deer density, semi-wilderness trapping available and 10-20 minutes from some of the best fishing that the Finger Lakes can offer. And all this with only a 35-40 minute commute to several large industrial complexes (including Kodak, Bausch & Lomb, Xerox, and many others) which have always supplied some very high wages and benefits. How many other states have arrangements like that? Pretty good .... eh? Am I proud that I was born, raised, and lived my entire life there in a paradise like that? Well absolutely pleased, happy, and fortunate. But I probably wouldn't use the term "proud". It just doesn't fit.

IMHO - one can be proud due to association.  For example, I am proud of my children, not because of my accomplishments in having/raising them, but because I am associated with them.  Under this definition, I am proud to be associated with the Rochester, NY area.  Great area to raise a family, good schools, lots of nice people, reasonably economically sound and the natural environment is superb (lakes, mountains, etc.).  I am not proud to be associated with some of the silly laws of this State and the ridiculous taxes/unsound finances of the state.  So, I guess I am a proud NYer in some respects.