Fixed Broadhead vs Mechanical article

BKhunter

I'll have to dig up the info, but a recent article in Quality Whitetails just showed that mechs have a slightly higher recovery rate than fixed in one large study. Interesting. It wasn't much, but still.

I just hope nobody stating anything mechanical can fail in relation to broad heads, doesn't use a release aid, fall away rest or hell even a compound bow. This isn't 1985 anymore mechs have come along way and so have fixed, any quality head will do the job well, if we all spent less time picking sides and arguing and more time practicing this discussion would be moot. But I suppose debate adds spice so I'll throw my two cents in...have tried both, have had success with both. My advice, don't cheat yourself by being narrow minded, try new things and focus on making good ethical shots.

Edited by aritchie3
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use mechanicals but I got sick of only getting one shot out them. With fixed I can just replace the bleeders 99% of the time. The less moving parts the better in my opinion but I know people that love their mechanicals too and haven't had any problems.

So the guys that shoot fixed are you BH tuning your bows to have the BH hit where Field tips hit? Or are you just moving your site

My Slick Trick mags shoot the same as field tips.  I never had to move my sights.  My friend who shoots Muzzys has to re-adjust his sights from field tips to broadheads.

Ill have slick trick magnums and rage hypodermic's in my quiver this year. Two of each. Used to use the rage originals and have had great luck with them over the years. Just got tired of them opening so easily but that problem is fixed now with the shock collar.  Been shooting the slick tricks all summer and they have been flying really well. I did have to tune my rest a little bit but now they are hitting the same place as my field points.  Haven't tried out the hypodermics yet but ill pick up a pack soon and shoot them a few times before the season to make sure they are hitting same as my field points. 

John

mechanicals have come a long way. the new rages look even better. I would hate to lose a trophy buck because of a broadhead issue, but I'll say that i've never stuck a deer with a rage that got away. There is no replacement for a poor shot, but i've had a handful that weren't perfect and they all died. If you're really worried go for fixed, you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any broad head that is kept sharp will work.I have used 2,3 and 4 blades all worked.When I was a Deer Search member most of the deer we were called to track and were recovered were Bad Hits.So what ever you use practice with them .

Switched to fixed this year slick tricks standard 100's, always used rage and to be honest only lost 1 deer to a bad shoulder shot any other deer went 40yrds actually shot one deer arrow entered behind the shoulder and exited bethween the shoulder blades out the tpo of the neck

But stalking they suck period ya goto draw back and inevitably they are open.

I want 1 head for both stalking and sitting and Rage just doesnt offer that confidence

Edited by Danny

Zwickey 170 grain this year. Last year i took a shot with. Thunderheads and they sometimes whistled when i shot em. Course that was my first year but they flew fine otherwise.

My only issue with zwickys is i have to spend quite a bit of time geten em nice and sharp.

I've been using Spitfire 100 grain mechanicals for as long as I can remember, they fly exactly the same as field tips, exactly , no need to put one in a target... Mechanicals are expensive, and I have never had one not do the job but , sometimes cannot reuse after a kill..Spitfire doesn't have those stupid rubber bands which get messed up in your quiver..

Wouldn't hunt with anything else.. 1 1/2 cutting diameter ...can't wait to get out there and stick another one this year....

• Like 1