Muzzleloader Opener In The Southern Zone 2023

landtracdeerhunter

The last couple years I've had the most fun in the late season. Lil' snow and a couple other guys on stateland and otherwise. Last deer I killed in NY was 1.1.23. Still have an arm's length of tags to fill this year. Keep your powder dry.

Edited by Enigma

18 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The last couple years I've had the most fun in the late season. Lil' snow and a couple other guys on stateland and otherwise. Last deer I killed in NY was 1.1.23. Still have an arm's length of tags to fill this year. Keep your powder dry.

Keeping your powder dry is key.  Not doing that cost me a nice doe during the Holiday season last year.  I hunted the opening morning, catching the tail end of our Christmas blizzard.  I loaded my warm gun in the house that morning.

Wind driven snow was still flying, and quite a bit got into the muzzle of my .50 cal, loaded with a 240 gr xtp bullet in a black plastic sleeve and (2) 50 gr T7 pellets.  That snow  must have melted and got down into the powder thru the rifling groves.  

I didn’t see any deer in the morning and returned to the house for lunch, leaving my ML in the unheated barn.  That afternoon, I put on snowshoes and walked out to my farthest stand.  The big doe came out into a turnip patch 50 yards away.  My shot sounded pitiful, and I could almost see the bullet leaving the muzzle, it was so slow.  It probably didn’t get half way to the doe.

I learned my lesson the hard way there.  Now, I put a finger condom on my ML and leave it there till I shoot.  Ive never had a wet powder problem when I did that, in rain and snow.  

It happens. Couple years ago we hunted in a pouring crap rain all day long. Couldn't see through my glasses or scope. Gun was not shootable at the end. Lesson learned.

I actually prefer nasty weather at this point for hunting deer with the mz. I'm better prepared, they better be too. 

Edited by Enigma

For me some of my most satisfying Deer hunts were with my traditional sidelock rifles, I get a real feeling of accomplishment. All of my Deer hunting these days is in the Northern zone, in fact every muzzleloading Deer I have ever taken has been in the Northern season. These days I am mainly a one and done Deer hunter that is about all the freezer room I have and meat the wife and I can consume.

Used to do a lot of Southern zone hunting years ago but things down there where I hunted have changed big time and not for the better.

For the folks who are going out after them down South keep your powder dry and good luck to you.

Al

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 9:45 AM, Moho81 said:

I did it for the first time when they made that special holiday season but I find it very hard to actually get out this late in the season with everything going on for the holidays and have kids. 

Definitely!! always a struggle to try and juggle Muzzle season and hanging Christmas lights, decorating house, and getting all the baking done.  Just finished doing the decorations last nite so, good to go!!

23 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Definitely!! always a struggle to try and juggle Muzzle season and hanging Christmas lights, decorating house, and getting all the baking done.  Just finished doing the decorations last nite so, good to go!!

Our tree is up and decorated, 99% of the gifts have been purchased, the 23rd is the big baking day (not that I am a part of it) and as far as I know we don't have any other plans for this weekend so I'm hoping to be out all weekend and at least fill one tag. 

• Like 1

This morning saw heavy wet snow about 6" deep all around.  At 5:45 AM a tree hit the wires on my road and the power went out.  For me that means no heat or water without electric.  Went out for awhile to look for tracks, after finding none, went back home to wait for the power to come back on.  At least it's warm enough outside ( about 40 now) to keep anything from freezing.

22 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Our tree is up and decorated, 99% of the gifts have been purchased, the 23rd is the big baking day (not that I am a part of it) and as far as I know we don't have any other plans for this weekend so I'm hoping to be out all weekend and at least fill one tag. 

I spoke to soon. We almost forgot about my one daughters play practice Saturday morning so now both have things going on Saturday morning at the same time. Time for my wife and I to divide and conquer. 

• Like 1