Is somebody is making changes to this site?

Doc

The ads are what finance the board's operation, it cost money to have a message board hosted online. If the ads bother you too much just install AdGuard, it is free and your problem will be solved.

Personally I think putting up with a few ads is a small price to pay for some of the best NY Hunting content on the web.:good:

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I guess I was lucky. This was an add-block of about 1-1/2" all the way across the bottom of the screen that had a collapse arrow. But it would come back again every time I switched pages. However, that was the only true pop-up advertising that I had to contend with. Maybe different operating systems or internet interface programs react differently with certain advertisements. I don't know, but it is gone now, so I don't have any pop-up ads at all. Yeah, there are the usual ads along the right-hand side of the page, but they don't bother anything.

I'm happy with everything now.

Doc you want spooky? If you have an Alexa in the house or just have a conversation on your phone about a product, vacation destination or such, ads will start popping up on Face Book about what you talked about. That is spooky! 

30 minutes ago, First-light said:

Doc you want spooky? If you have an Alexa in the house or just have a conversation on your phone about a product, vacation destination or such, ads will start popping up on Face Book about what you talked about. That is spooky! 

This stuff is getting completely out-of-control. Imagine what it will be like a decade from now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First-light said:

That is spooky for sure!!! What the heck!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, First-light said:

That is the Exact Reason to never use your real name on Social Media !

11 hours ago, First-light said:

Its not limited to Alexa and your cell phone. Our computers and televisions these days also have applications that need to be disabled or they do the same monitoring. They track and collect information on you to target advertising specific to you, and to sell to others. I have even heard the refrigerators and other appliances that have Bluetooth/Wifi/Smartphone connections have the same tracking capability. Spooky crap to be sure! Hello China!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 7:01 PM, New York Hillbilly said:

Its not limited to Alexa and your cell phone. Our computers and televisions these days also have applications that need to be disabled or they do the same monitoring. They track and collect information on you to target advertising specific to you, and to sell to others. I have even heard the refrigerators and other appliances that have Bluetooth/Wifi/Smartphone connections have the same tracking capability. Spooky crap to be sure! Hello China!

Girlfriend just got laid off week before and started going on to job boards and such; within a day or 2, she starts getting these unsolicited spam emails, ads and calls, not only for potential work (which is fine), but info on food stamps and social programs- wtf?

On 2/21/2024 at 9:12 AM, landtracdeerhunter said:

The whole thing will implode. I not throwing away my filing cabinets. Will need the back up.

That is the Exact reason I keep my landline ! Just after 9/11 in Manhattan Cell Service was completely down and the only phones that worked correctly were the Pay Phones because they are all Landlines . Of course most Phone Companies are looking to give up and no longer service their Copper Lines ... it's coming ! (is the Sky Falling ? LOL )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

That is the Exact reason I keep my landline ! Just after 9/11 in Manhattan Cell Service was completely down and the only phones that worked correctly were the Pay Phones because they are all Landlines . Of course most Phone Companies are looking to give up and no longer service their Copper Lines ... it's coming ! (is the Sky Falling ? LOL )

Ha-ha-ha-ha.......we still have a functioning dial phone. It was a riot watching my nephew trying to figure out how to use it. It is kept mostly as novelty now, but it still works.

• Like 4

Thought no new members could join of the owner didn't approve them? Someone let a new guy in today, but the owner hasn't been around in three years. So looks like another staff member can approve membership even though they say they can't. Or maybe it's one of those infamous unlimited pop emails that come with hosting magically came to life....Hmmmm

hmmmmm.jpg.5b6a702e910f19a903815fa6085d2ce8.jpg

9 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Thought no new members could join of the owner didn't approve them? Someone let a new guy in today, but the owner hasn't been around in three years. So looks like another staff member can approve membership even though they say they can't. Or maybe it's one of those infamous unlimited pop emails that come with hosting magically came to life....Hmmmm

hmmmmm.jpg.5b6a702e910f19a903815fa6085d2ce8.jpg

Some things will just never be known.