Eclipse

mpavlus

I doubt they will. Possible though. They might say be out in a field and notice it getting dark and start heading towards their roost but then daylight come back pronto. Or jump up in a tree at brush whenever they stand if possible. Will freak them out without a doubt. The last think they like is standing on the ground in the dark. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

It doesn't get completely dark outside during an eclipse, right?

Can't answer that. Don't know anyone that's ever experienced one.

I do remember a partial that got low light levels in 1970.  Chickens went on roost.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

I was in the path of totality for an eclipse in 2017 - it was definitely not 100% dark, but very dusk-like.  Birds quit chirping, night-time insects started making their noises, etc.  It was a cool experience.

• Like 3

The clouds broke up here enough to give a pretty good view, I was down in the barnyard to see how all the animals reacted. I kind of thought as the darkness crept in the chickens would go into their coops and go to roost but it got dark almost instantly like a light switch was thrown. The sheep the geese cattle and chickens got caught in the open and they were definitely confused when it got totally dark so fast and all the barnyard night lights came on. But the totality only lasted for a couple of minutes, it got pretty light out quickly and their routine went back to normal fast as if nothing happened.

Cool and interesting!

Al 

• Like 1

Here in Howard the clouds ruled. It got pretty dark around 3:25 but within minutes was back to normal. We saw nothing....but it was a nice party and the kids enjoyed the day off!

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1

That was pretty cool and it got a lot darker than I thought it would. We took a break from work to watch it from the park behind us. There was to much noise to see how the birds reacted unfortunately as that was something that I was interested in. 

• Like 1

A little spot in the clouds thinned out enough for us to see it pretty good at work in North Tonawanda on Monday:

IMG_4309.thumb.jpeg.88fcca0e966248f7281f0c5fa271e6e3.jpeg

I thought it was pretty cool. With the clouds, we didn’t need the eclipse glasses.  

• Like 1