No Need For Over Kill

DirtTime

I'm hunting with a .243 in Liv Co this year with the new regs. Not planning on super long shots with the ground I hunt anyway (100-150 yds max), so we'll see how it does. Have a 7mm Rem Mag but little interest in buying rounds for that thing - it likes the Ballistic Silvertips which are $2.50-3 a round some places and I have to check for loose fillings after a session. I'm not recoil sensitive but the older I get, the less interested I am in shooting bigger guns when I know a smaller caliber can be just as effective in the ranges I hunt and be cheaper to hunt with ammo-wise.

• Like 1

The 308 was my weapon of choice for the majority of the years i hunted. One day I shot a buck quartering away at 270 yds. Result was a hole in one lung,liver, and a broken front leg. 150 yds later I found him dead. that was at least 100+ yds further than I have ever had to track any of my dear shot with a rifle. Switched to the 300win mag after that. I will even go on the record and agree that 200 yd + shots make up probably less than 10% of my shots, but why not? Most deer I shoot now, that are 100 yds or closer (90%), drop in their tracks. Probably an average of 30 yds less tracking..lol.. Bottom line IF you can shoot it accurately why not?

• Like 3

I sure don't like paying $2-$3 per shot either.  Calibers based on the .30-06 or .308 family will definitely do the trick on deer.  The advantage I see with these calibers is the lower cost ammo and the ability to shoot them more comfortably.  A shot over 250 yards is a LONG shot in my book, and I honestly prefer to shoot at closer ranges so calibers in this family is plenty for my needs.  The disadvantage with the bigger magnum calibers is price and the pounding you can get from them.  I don't even mind the pounding at the range, you can compensate for it sometimes with various devices, but shoot them long enough in the field, in awkward field positions and you'll probably get clipped good above the eyebrow sooner or later.  You might be bleeding more than the deer you've shot at.

The 308 was my weapon of choice for the majority of the years i hunted. One day I shot a buck quartering away at 270 yds. Result was a hole in one lung,liver, and a broken front leg. 150 yds later I found him dead. that was at least 100+ yds further than I have ever had to track any of my dear shot with a rifle. Switched to the 300win mag after that. I will even go on the record and agree that 200 yd + shots make up probably less than 10% of my shots, but why not? Most deer I shoot now, that are 100 yds or closer (90%), drop in their tracks. Probably an average of 30 yds less tracking..lol.. Bottom line IF you can shoot it accurately why not?

I think the reason the deer went so far with the .308 was because it wasn't a very accurate shot at 270 yards. You hit the deer, but only got liver and 1 lung. Even with a 300 WM, the deer probably would've gone just as far.

When you say, "Bottom line IF you can shoot it accurately why not?", I think it's much more difficult to shoot a 300 Mag accurately than a .308.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use a 300 WM, but in your case, I suspect it may not have been the proper solution.

I think the reason the deer went so far with the .308 was because it wasn't a very accurate shot at 270 yards. You hit the deer, but only got liver and 1 lung. Even with a 300 WM, the deer probably would've gone just as far.

When you say, "Bottom line IF you can shoot it accurately why not?", I think it's much more difficult to shoot a 300 Mag accurately than a .308.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use a 300 WM, but in your case, I suspect it may not have been the proper solution.

Nope. With the angle of the shot it would have been impossible to get both lungs. (picture a deer quartering away with his head turned away looking at another deer) It was a perfectly placed shot.(maybe I hit the back of the 1st lung, but I reasoned that I did not because it ran so far) If I do not say so myself..lol. In both guns I shoot bullets that are light for their caliber resulting in a lot of hydrostatic shock. At 270 yds the bullet expanded minimally and resulted in a complete pass through and a small entrance and exit hole. A perfectly acceptable result for most and an easy tracking job, but not what I personally like. If I shoot a deer in a field I do not expect to see them leave that field.

Edited by ncountry

Nope. With the angle of the shot it would have been impossible to get both lungs. (picture a deer quartering away with his head turned away looking at another deer) It was a perfectly placed shot.(maybe I hit the back of the 1st lung, but I reasoned that I did not because it ran so far) If I do not say so myself..lol. In both guns I shoot bullets that are light for their caliber resulting in a lot of hydrostatic shock. At 270 yds the bullet expanded minimally and resulted in a complete pass through and a small entrance and exit hole. A perfectly acceptable result for most and an easy tracking job, but not what I personally like. If I shoot a deer in a field I do not expect to see them leave that field.

not to be contray but a perfectly placed shot would have been the heart on that target. What bullet were you using that didn't perform?

not to be contray but a perfectly placed shot would have been the heart on that target. What bullet were you using that didn't perform?

Maybe..lol .. Perfect may have been stretching it.. 125 gr sierra spitzer/48 gr 4064.. my favorite pet load for my old custom Mauser 98

• Like 1

If I remember my history correctly, these were the rifles used during the Spanish-American war.

When I was growing up in the early 70s, there were a LOT of guys hunting with 30/40 KRAGs in PA, it's been a long time since I've seen one in the woods or at the range.

I think the Mauser spanked its but with having a clip and how fast the Mauser could be reloaded compared the the KRAG.  And excuse me for hitting an E instead of the A.  Back in the 70's as the story was told to me, Fish and Game clubs use to get deals on old military guns that went to surplus, the game clubs members would order them.  This is were the 30/40 krag my father owns came from, along with an M1.  But soon after the M1's were bought the government wanted them returned.  The ammo on the other hand they didnt want back.

...and here we go 

:popcorn3:

Ahh it's not that serious lol. We need to have more freindly adult driven debates instead of everyone looking for a verbal online battle over choice of cailber and other minor opinion based topics.

Good day all, and ruts coming less typing more hunting lol ill be in the woods by 4.

• Like 2

My turn to tell what I like for deer hunting. I use a 444marlin for deer that's because that's what I have and it kills deer. That being said if I were looking for a rifle to hunt deer or bear in NY and not going to hunt anything bigger. The caliber I would pick would be the 7mm-08 then 308. that is what I would choose. There is nothing wrong with any cal. Of the other meadem calibers. But I just love my 444.

Overkill?  It's possible to be too dead? 

I've shot deer with a .30-30, .30-06, .50 muzzle loader, recurve, compound, 12ga slug and .450 Marlin and I'm pretty sure they all ended up about the same amount of dead.  I know a guy who's shot deer with a .375 H&H, I was this close to getting a .416 Rigby and sure would've used that on deer too. 

I know a guy who's shot deer with a .375 H&H

Say it ain't so.........a 375 Ouch & Ouch on a deer? 

A fellow would have to be a real dipstick to do THAT.

Sako Deluxe 375H&H, PA monster buck & stud.  Circa 1996 or so......

img124_zps9f78cd5e.jpg

Put that in your pipe and smoke it :)

• Like 8

I think the Mauser spanked its but with having a clip and how fast the Mauser could be reloaded compared the the KRAG.  And excuse me for hitting an E instead of the A.  Back in the 70's as the story was told to me, Fish and Game clubs use to get deals on old military guns that went to surplus, the game clubs members would order them.  This is were the 30/40 krag my father owns came from, along with an M1.  But soon after the M1's were bought the government wanted them returned.  The ammo on the other hand they didnt want back.

No need to apologize for the E...I was just making conversation.

Yes the Spanish M93 mausers DID kick a** in the Spanish American War...

That's probably the biggest reason that the US adopted the Springfield 03 , which is basically a Mauser action.

In fact it is so close that Springfield had to pay royalties to MAUSER for years to avoid  paying penalties for patent infringement.

Personally speaking, I just bought a .300 win mag.

I intend on using it as my main hunting rifle, replacing my 270 which I love.

My reasoning is that I do intend to travel north and west for larger game, and want the rifle I use at that point to be a good friend, not just a gun I've bought for the occasion. I put a monarch 3 5x20x44 bdc on it, and can see this being my everything rifle for a long time. I shoot trap etc, recoil with nosler 180gr accubonds at 2950fps was negligible.

Say it ain't so.........a 375 Ouch & Ouch on a deer? 

A fellow would have to be a real dipstick to do THAT.

Sako Deluxe 375H&H, PA monster buck & stud.  Circa 1996 or so......

img124_zps9f78cd5e.jpg

Put that in your pipe and smoke it :)

Well would you look at that; turns out I know two people who shoot deer with a .375 H&H. :)  I may try a Remington rolling block .50-70 this year just for kicks too.

If you are hunting in NY, you do not need a 300 Mag. You don't even need a 7MM mag. The 25/06, .308, 30/30/. 35 Whelin, or even the 7mm/o8 will kill big game here! Even the popular 30/06 can be argued to be over kill. I will try to find a vey old Petersons Hunting article to prove this one.

The smaller less recoil calibers can be very effective! As long as you spend time on the target range and get a full zero. Hell, a .222 or 22/250 can kill a deer just as fast as the ought 6, and is legal. You just need to get the right bullet for the rifle.

While I'm on the topic of calibers, anyone remember the 30/40 Graig?

Just because you think its overkill and know of a magazine that thinks its overkill, doesn't mean it is.  I primarily hunt with a 30-06 but have a  good number of rifles ranging from a 22-250 up to a .300 WSM.  Never in my life would I consider deer hunting with my 22-250.  I don't give a crap what the "experts" say.  That is a small, fast, light caliber that was not designed to kill deer.   I know I wouldn't want to have that in my hands when a 115 lb doe stepped out, and if I get the chance at a NY giant I definitely would want something that's going to knock him on his A$$.  I don't want to track the SOB for hundreds and hundreds of yards while he's bleeding from some tiny little exit hole.  

Just because you think its overkill and know of a magazine that thinks its overkill, doesn't mean it is.  I primarily hunt with a 30-06 but have a  good number of rifles ranging from a 22-250 up to a .300 WSM.  Never in my life would I consider deer hunting with my 22-250.  I don't give a crap what the "experts" say.  That is a small, fast, light caliber that was not designed to kill deer.   I know I wouldn't want to have that in my hands when a 115 lb doe stepped out, and if I get the chance at a NY giant I definitely would want something that's going to knock him on his A$$.  I don't want to track the SOB for hundreds and hundreds of yards while he's bleeding from some tiny little exit hole.

Yet people who say they need canon to kill deer in NY throw sticks at them. Makes no sense. You say you do not want to track a giant for hundreds of yards guess what that is what happens when shooting with a bow. How many stories have there been on here from guys who shoy deer with bow and had to track for ever? Some were not till next day some were not found at all. That is waste due to under kill. I kill just fine with my .308 and .243. Buddy of mine uses a .300 wsm and a 7mm yet his deer are no deader then mine. I do not care what size any one uses. I just do not understand why there has to be an arguement about it. Some people like to aim make a good shot and use a smaller round some just like to shoot and put huge holes in the animal no matter where the round hits. big deal to each there own. I just ask if an arrow if fine then why isn't a small caliber gun?