Comparing legal shooting time to driving the speed limit

regulat0r

If legal time is 4:30 and a trophy (whatever that may be to you, could be a doe for meat) walks by at 4:31 while your about to get up. I don't believe anyone would not take the shot. And I mean take the shot in real life. Obviously behind the keyboards nobody would ever say they'd dare touch the trigger.

You are certainly free to believe whatever you need to.

• Like 1

Ha-ha .... well that's very nice, but I prefer to keep my eyes on the road and those maniacs that are coming at me....lol. And yes, my speed will vary a few miles per hour occasionally. But you can believe me when I say (and you seemed not to believe) that when I vary from the exact speed limit, it is not intentional, where ignoring legal hunting hours is a conscious decision. And that is what makes the comparison that this thread is all about, bogus.

So it is ok to unintentionally break a law? That's what I got out of that statement.

• Like 1

So it is ok to unintentionally break a law? That's what I got out of that statement.

I guess if something is unintentional it is unintentional and that does not say that it is ok or excused by the cop that stops you or any other thing that you may pretending that I am saying. I would hope that you understand the difference between willfully intending to do something wrong and unintentionally doing so. Yes, I am sure that you really do see the difference....lol.

why does it always have to be the Giant Buck of a lifetime that is going to tempt someone to break the law and shoot a deer after hours? I'm assuming if this what brings someone to the dark side, they're probably the same type of person who would steal a car just because the keys were left in it........damn temptation.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

Amen Carbonelement! Anyone that says anything different is full of crap!

Then I must be full of crap... because I have had the chance and didn't and wouldn't... but I'm not naïve enough to think that for a lot of hunters it would be hard to do... It couldn't happen ever now, because I don't leave my truck until legal sunup and back to the truck before sundown.. 8 or 9 hours of legal shooting light is plenty enough time to kill a deer... don't need the extra few minutes before or after.

• Like 1

I have a hard believing some of you actually check your watch and start or quit hunting at the exact minute of sunup or sundown.If you were watching a big buck slowly working his way to you but by the time he came within range it was a minute past sundown you're not going to shoot?Yeah right.

I think people that have a hard time believing there are some that can pass on a good buck at the last minute are usually speaking about how they would handle that situation and would like to think they have company... which I'm sure you do... just not with me... and I'm sure a few others on here with integrity

• Like 4

Just remember, it's not what time you arrive at your final destination that matters..., only that you arrive alive! Whether that's to Grandmas house for X-mas dinner or the end of deer season...

At the end of the day we all want to return home whether we spent the day at work or in the woods.

The rules ARE only guidelines for us to follow. Written law is just a way to punish offenders and hold them accountable for their own actions when the limits get pushed too far.

• Like 3

Let's see Belo..hmmmm while talking about that lease guy and all his illegal things..I have never defended breaking game laws NOR..openly stated I have broken game laws which I have not, and asked what's the big deal?...Remember your words..." I use my wife's tags all the time".

So to be honest..... I do not care what you assume...it's truly inconsequential.

I had my chance one morning while in my blind. It was still early. I didn't know if it was a buck or doe till it got close enough. It was maybe 10ft in front of me, and it was a small buck. I could have shot before it was in front but didn't, too early. Then it too off. Think it was 640-645. It was cool it was that close, didn't smell me. Think chair spooked it.

If you speed, you're a speeder. If you shoot early, you're a POACHER.

I'm proud to be a speeder. :clapping::clapping: A poacher, I wouldn't be so proud, but I wouldn't be hungry. And damn, I'm hungry this season :bad:

If you speed you are a Criminal

If you poach you are a Criminal

Your just deciding which one you are proud of...Law is Law.

• Like 2

I just find it amazing how some can willingly admit to breaking some laws because it on accident or there are grey areas but you say you follow hunting laws to the T.

I speed I set my cruise in 72 in a 65 because I know that is what I can do with minimal risk. I do not stare at my watch to the second for legal shooting times, I have let deer walk even though I could have killed them because I knew it was too early/late.

If I am watching the news or reading the paper and I see someone caught doing 100mph I think "wow what a dummy" there is a big difference between me and 95% of other drivers doing a little faster than the speed limit and someone doing double the speed limit. It's the same thing as someone shooting minutes before or after legal hrs and some one shooting a deer at midnight with a spot light, there is a HUGE difference!

• Like 2

Well, gee, everybody's doing it so it must be ok.......right? I guess I must be the last of a dying breed that still believes that our game laws really mean something. Not only do I quit at the appropriate time, but even before that time I begin to pack up my gear so that when sunset comes I'm out of my stand and heading home. I don't treat these things like they are just suggestions, and I don't understand where all this intentional disrespect for the law is coming from. I do consider it very likely that those who ignore any game laws are capable of ignoring all game laws.

How do you get out of your stand. Pretty sure you have stated you dont hunt from stands and haven't for a long while. Seems a little fishy there boss.

Well, what can I say ....... you thought wrong.

Pretty sure you've stated several times in the past few months you've been out of the trees and evolved into a ground hunter. Multiple times. Heck you even say you dont do them anymore...so no I didnt think wrong. Your words. Not mine.

Kind of hard to take your statements seriously on this subject with these quotes. If you've somehow started hunting via a stand after decades of ground hunting, the least you could have stated in your response was such instead of saying I thought wrong. Pretty sure you are aware you have remarked you are a ground pounder. Just goes to show you aren't telling the real deal when trying to make a point you have a firm stance on. Using the story of leaving your stand to prove a point when you dont hunt from one, or at least say you dont repeatedly.

post-575-0-60384400-1418267490_thumb.png

post-575-0-80565500-1418267612_thumb.png

post-575-0-88446100-1418268021_thumb.png

Edited by phade

Poaching is beyond a criminal. You would have to think about it whenever you open the freezer door. Every time you see the poached trophy on the wall.

Speeding means you just got their faster.

Poaching means you killed sometime illegally.

Big big difference.

Which is why I have no deer this season, and I could have easily shot 10 deer from the road. Every freakin deer I saw would have made me a road hunter. I just couldn't do it.

But I sped home at 80 MPH, with my radar detector.

And I proud to say, I'm an ethical hunter. And fast driver.

That's just me. You guys do what's right for you.

Not the case.

Most speeding tickets are infractions.

Taking a deer after/before hours is a violation, not a crime.

• Like 1

Pretty sure you've stated several times in the past few months you've been out of the trees and evolved into a ground hunter. Multiple times. Heck you even say you dont do them anymore...so no I didnt think wrong. Your words. Not mine.

Kind of hard to take your statements seriously on this subject with these quotes. If you've somehow started hunting via a stand after decades of ground hunting, the least you could have stated in your response was such instead of saying I thought wrong. Pretty sure you are aware you have remarked you are a ground pounder. Just goes to show you aren't telling the real deal when trying to make a point you have a firm stance on. Using the story of leaving your stand to prove a point when you dont hunt from one, or at least say you dont repeatedly.

Man does this ever show some truths! This is not the only time,only post or only topic. Just the first time someone took the time to post the fact .      

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

Have you ever noticed all the pictures that I have posted of my "Ground stands". There has to be at least a dozen of them posted around the forum. One set of stand pictures is of my favorite gun stand.

Damn some of you guys have been totally conditioned to believe that when someone says they got out of their stand that they have to be talking about tree stands. Come-on...... You know better. I'm sorry I made you waste all that time researching my posts, but I assumed you realized that there are such things as ground stands.

post-11-0-47742400-1418290330_thumb.jpg

This one is my favorite gun stand. It is about as close to a guaranteed stand as you can get for opening day.

post-11-0-99339800-1418290414_thumb.jpg

Typical pop-up stand .... pretty good bow spot.

post-11-0-45401000-1418290553_thumb.jpg

Another great spot for bow. Another permanent ground stand.

........And so on and so forth. So when I say I am getting out of my stand, I am not saying I am getting out of my tree-stand. I have no idea why anyone would automatically try to make that connection. Sorry for the confusion, but it really wasn't me that caused it.

Have you ever noticed all the pictures that I have posted of my "Ground stands". There has to be at least a dozen of them posted around the forum. One set of stand pictures is of my favorite gun stand.

Damn some of you guys have been totally conditioned to believe that when someone says they got out of their stand that they have to be talking about tree stands. Come-on...... You know better. I'm sorry I made you waste all that time researching my posts, but I assumed you realized that there are such things as ground stands.

attachicon.gifmalrd01.jpg

This one is my favorite gun stand. It is about as close to a guaranteed stand as you can get for opening day.

attachicon.gifpopup02.JPG

Typical pop-up stand .... pretty good bow spot.

attachicon.gifpoleline1.JPG

Another great spot for bow. Another permanent ground stand.

........And so on and so forth. So when I say I am getting out of my stand, I am not saying I am getting out of my tree-stand. I have no idea why anyone would automatically try to make that connection. Sorry for the confusion, but it really wasn't me that caused it.

You are talking in circles. You just said I thought wrong. Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth there doc. If you were talking about ground stands you would have stated such after I questioned you on it and you KNEW what i was talking about. My question never included the word tree. I said...stand. you said i thought wrong. That proves you knew what i was talking about. Youre just backpedaling now. You pretty clearly tried to make a story that defended your position because it supported your belief.

I usually think whether I disagree with you, you bring up points that are valid for positions I may not agree with. But this is clearly a case where you can't say changing the law would result in a safety decrease. Enough states do this that one can reasonably be assured that it is an effective law that does not impact safety. All you have to go on is anecdotal stories. These states are laws. Laws. If there were a safety issue with it, they'd change quickly. They havent been and won't be. Face it NY is on the wrong side of this law and it should be changed.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

Let's see Belo..hmmmm while talking about that lease guy and all his illegal things..I have never defended breaking game laws NOR..openly stated I have broken game laws which I have not, and asked what's the big deal?...Remember your words..." I use my wife's tags all the time".

So to be honest..... I do not care what you assume...it's truly inconsequential.

did you really take that seriously? everyone else ignored it because I thought it was painfully obvious I was kidding. I don't even live in NY for gosh sakes.

Poaching is beyond a criminal. You would have to think about it whenever you open the freezer door. Every time you see the poached trophy on the wall.

Speeding means you just got their faster.

Poaching means you killed sometime illegally.

Big big difference.

Which is why I have no deer this season, and I could have easily shot 10 deer from the road. Every freakin deer I saw would have made me a road hunter. I just couldn't do it.

But I sped home at 80 MPH, with my radar detector.

And I proud to say, I'm an ethical hunter. And fast driver.

That's just me. You guys do what's right for you.

you're assuming poachers have some sort of moral compass. These guys have no problem with the mount or the meat. Heck a lot of them probably only cut out the back straps.

• Like 1

My definition of a "stand" is where ever you sit/stand to hunt deer. It might be an elevated box blind or a spot at the base of a tree where you have cleared away the leaves so you can shift positions quietly. It might be anywhere in between.

Being "on stand" is watching, listening for a deer to aproach so you can take it.

You are talking in circles. You just said I thought wrong. Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth there doc. If you were talking about ground stands you would have stated such after I questioned you on it and you KNEW what i was talking about. My question never included the word tree. I said...stand. you said i thought wrong. That proves you knew what i was talking about. Youre just backpedaling now. You pretty clearly tried to make a story that defended your position because it supported your belief.........

Since you seem intent on calling me a liar, let me refresh your mind on how this conversation went instead of you talking about circles and such:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doc:

Not only do I quit at the appropriate time, but even before that time I begin to pack up my gear so that when sunset comes I'm out of my stand and heading home.

Phade:

How do you get out of your stand. Pretty sure you have stated you dont hunt from stands and haven't for a long while. Seems a little fishy there boss.

Doc:

Well, what can I say ....... you thought wrong.

Phade:

Pretty sure you've stated several times in the past few months you've been out of the trees and evolved into a ground hunter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do hunt from stands and I have been out of the trees for quite a few years. You were wrong. I told you so. So where's the talking in circles. You were looking for the big gotcha, and made a stupid assumption. I straightened you out. So what's your problem. You desperately wanted to prove me a liar and made a fool of yourself in the process. That is not a problem of my making. Next time you try to call someone a liar, check your facts and don't make dumb assumptions.