muzzleloader buck

NYBowhunter

Got him this afternoon a little after 4pm trailing 2 little fawns. I have alot of trail cam photos of him but always at night. These 2 little fawns must be coming into a late heat and thankfully for me got him on his feet in daylight. Hes an 8 pointer and has one little point that im not counting.

Nice buck! His neck looks awful thin for this time of the year??

Yes he was run down from breeding. A buck that age in my area should easily weigh more then the 140 he dressed out to be. The fact that he was still hanging with 2 little ones waiting for them to come into heat tells me hes had other things on his mind other then food for quite sometime...lol

One nice thing about getting them late like that, post-rut, is there is a lot less fat to trim off. My buddy gave me a heavy 2-1/2 year 8-point he shot in early archery season and I probably spent an hour trimming the fat off the rear after I skinned it. Congrats on the fine buck.

You deserve every bit of that smile on your face! Nice job.

Judging by the size of his head he could easily have been 30# or so heavier a few weeks ago. He's been a busy boy.

Thanks..yes i agree he should have dressed out 170 to 180 lbs. Never seen one of this age that thin. Guess he was a very agressive breeder which ultimately lead to his demise.

Good things come to those who have the patience to wait it out. Good Job!!!!!

Thanks..Funny you say that I was talking to my mom just last week and told her its not over yet. She knows i endured alot of the elements and had alot of seat time on stand. She doesnt like to see her 44 yr.old baby going out in rainy,snowy and windy days ..lol..i had a great bow/crossbow season with an 8 pointer and a doe however the gun season was very uneventful. But my determination finally paid off and on sunday 12/14/14 i saw more deer that day then the entire gun season and i was blessed with this beautiful late season buck...so yes putting the time and having patience does have its rewards on occasion ..all in all a great year but i hunted real hard.
  • Like 1