If they stopped all Buck hunting.

Four Season Whitetail's

Seasons over. Fun to debate. Who pissed in your Cheerios making you upset we're talking about it? Helped enlighten me a little. So I think it's been fun.

I sort of find it interesting that those who would not change their hunting style are apposed to ARs. If you couldn't shoot bucks and would still hunt; why are you so mad you can't shoot little bucks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like I said, surprising so many who give big buck hunters grief now say they might not even hunt at all (or much less) if they were not allowed to shoot bucks. What happened to "a deer's a deer..."? 

Personally I'm glad so many realize how much they appreciate bucks, I just think there's not much difference in a doe as compared to a yearling buck and thats why it would be great to see more guys let bucks get some age (in areas with good populations) after you've got some experience. 

I guess I don't understand why some seem to call out trophy hunters like they're a "bad" type of hunter.

Likely it is just a "tit-for-tat" response to those that arrogantly look down their noses at the hunters who are not trophy hunters. See it all revolves around this strange need that hunters have for commenting on the selections of others. Apparently it can manifest itself in two distinctly opposite directions......lol.

I sort of find it interesting that those who would not change their hunting style are apposed to ARs. If you couldn't shoot bucks and would still hunt; why are you so mad you can't shoot little bucks?

Well just to keep things on track, the question was not about changing hunting styles, but was about hunting at the "same level and desire". None of that has a thing to do with ARs. The one similarity in issues is that they are both concepts that would be attempting to remove current accepted choices for hunters, which likely is not good for the maintenance of the sport regardless of what our personal individual choices may be.

• Like 1

Well just to keep things on track, the question was not about changing hunting styles, but was about hunting at the "same level and desire". None of that has a thing to do with ARs. The one similarity in issues is that they are both concepts that would be attempting to remove current accepted choices for hunters, which likely is not good for the maintenance of the sport regardless of what our personal individual choices may be.

I read same level and desire as hunting style. Think about it for a second...level could be seriousness, frequency, manner, degree, etc. Desire could mean passion, drive, how you want to hunt, etc.

With bucks to shoot, I generally am a top 1%er (I quantify that as in most of the people on this forum would be as well) of the hunting population. If does were only legal game, I'd be one heck of a social/casual hunter. 3-4 days tops a year.

I agree that it wouldn't be good for the maintenance of the sport.

I know for a fact that my level of dedication would drop off immensely...... if not completely.

Even with my first passion being nature photography, and  still holding possession of an antlerless tag, I found out this year after opening day that it alone wasn't enough to keep my motivation levels high.

After burning my buck tag on opening day I thought it would be real easy to dedicate the rest of the season to "hunting" bucks with my camera, and doe with the gun, but that never happened the way I had thought it would.

I sure love to take pictures, but that's an entirely different season that takes a whole different level of preparation and dedication for me. I can't explain why the drive goes away once I don't have a buck tag.

I was kind of surprised by this myself. :dontknow:

I know for a fact that my level of dedication would drop off immensely...... if not completely.

Even with my first passion being nature photography, and  still holding possession of an antlerless tag, I found out this year after opening day that it alone wasn't enough to keep my motivation levels high.

After burning my buck tag on opening day I thought it would be real easy to dedicate the rest of the season to "hunting" bucks with my camera, and doe with the gun, but that never happened the way I had thought it would.

I sure love to take pictures, but that's an entirely different season that takes a whole different level of preparation and dedication for me. I can't explain why the drive goes away once I don't have a buck tag.

Shooting a buck on opening day of bow is such a double edged sword.

You don't like the cold, right? Is that a factor not considered? Would it be different if say the season was moved up a month and you had burned your tag? Interesting insight.

Shooting a buck on opening day of bow is such a double edged sword.

You don't like the cold, right? Is that a factor not considered? Would it be different if say the season was moved up a month and you had burned your tag? Interesting insight.

I'm not a huge fan of the cold, but my tolerance increases it if I'm involved in an activity I really enjoy... ex. shed hunting, hiking, hunting, photg...etc.

I think by adding some separation between my "seasons", my expectations change as to what I look forward to getting out of them.

I'm sure others have found a way to blend all their options together, but for me it seems distracting from my main focus of whatever it is I'm trying to accomplish at the moment.

I try to put 100% into all my recreational pursuits, butI can't find a way to do that if I'm trying to juggle more than one thing at a time.

I hunt deer... Try to shoot 3.5 year old deer as a min... I shoot mostly does because guys that hunt my area shoot the first legal buck that walk by... But shoot a mature doe is a challenge for sure... So yes, I hunt for the fun but also to fill my freezers so I would continue to hunt

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of the cold, but my tolerance increases it if I'm involved in an activity I really enjoy... ex. shed hunting, hiking, hunting, photg...etc.

I think by adding some separation between my "seasons", my expectations change as to what I look forward to getting out of them.

I'm sure others have found a way to blend all their options together, but for me it seems distracting from my main focus of whatever it is I'm trying to accomplish at the moment.

I try to put 100% into all my recreational pursuits, butI can't find a way to do that if I'm trying to juggle more than one thing at a time.

I'm others and myself relate to that.  life seems to always trump hobbies or recreational pursuits.

liki

Joe...I hold you in high regard.. But "buck haters" was not a good choice of terms.. I don't think any deer hunter is a buck hater.

I really don't see any disdain for guys who prefer to hunt bigger bucks, UNLESS they attempt to project thier preferences on other hunters through such vehicles as antler restrictions..

To make things very simple, if AR's are promoted by people who prefer to shoot only big bucks, these people are saying...

" I prefer to shoot only big bucks...THEREFORE, everyone should be required to shoot only big bucks"...

Well I think you all know by now that I have no agenda to push anything about hunting on anyone... I'm not big on the whole trophy buck managing either...and I don't think any deer hunter is a buck hater either in fact I have already stated many times that given the choice 99.99999999999999999% of hunters will shoot the a big buck over a doe...

I used the term in reference to those here that get all balled up with the guys that like antlers when the subject of AR's comes up... if I had the time I'd go back a cut and paste all the unprovoked comments against antler hunters, big buck hunters, trophy hunters etc... all I can figure is, those guys must really hate bucks to get that upset with those that like to hunt them. The comments should be directed towards the hunter that is pushing his agenda, not all those that prefer hunting for bigger bucks... if you go back and read all the AR related threads... you will find plenty of "buck haters" in the way I intended it to mean... and I stand by the term as it was meant in my post.

I think this is more common among hunters than you think... I would find it hard to believe that most hunters would spend as much time hunting a big doe they got on trail cam if they also had a 150+ buck on the same cam... something about a monster buck that makes it much easier to get out of bed and stay in the woods... I'm pretty sure there aren't many mature does that get a hunter's blood pumping and motivate them like a mature monster buck. That doesn't mean that most hunters wouldn't still hunt that doe if the buck was off the table, but not with nearly as much enthusiasm. Although I think women may not have the same drive towards the bucks as men... I think there is a macho element involved.. whether us men want to admit it or not.

Edited by nyantler

I voted that my desire and drive wouldn't change, but I am also against ARs. I would also be against them passing a no buck law. My love for hunting wouldn't leave because I didn't get my way. I think your point here is irrelevant. Do people who love watching football stop watching when new rules are passed?

Edited by Terry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For some of use taking a doe is just as challenging and rewarding as taking any buck so that is why we are against ARs would we stop hunting no but it would be a shame in my neck of the woods on the property I hunt. If you harvest any deer off the land I hunt including heavily hunted state land you have accomplished something more than shooting a 10 pt out of a open field with a rifle that shoots 300yrds. Around me and the land I hunt you can't see that far so from my experience it's harder. Getting within 100 or so of any whitetail weather it's and yearling doe or a 5 yr old buck in my terrain is a feat. So if I do that I should be able to shoot what I feel is able trophy.

Besides lighter the deer easier the drag bc some areas there is no quad acess lol

Edit....and I already voted I would not lose any interest or passion in deer hunting.

Edited by stoneam2006

I'm surprised at the amount of posts and energy expelled on this thread.  No state has ever enacted a "No Buck" kill, have they?

Why would you even discuss such a silly question?  It won't happen.............

What will be the next thread goofy thread, "If they didn't allow........................." ?

Enough said!!! 

I should not have posted to this thread!  This is a no win thread that will only piss people off, thanks FSW, lol.  Keeps it interesting anyway.

There seems to be some assumption that those who claim that they would hunt with the same level of enthusiasm in a doe only season, have something against taking bucks. I'm not sure where that notion got started. But let me just say that for myself, I like hunting deer ..... any kind of deer. And yes, I would be very charged up about a doe-only hunt. That does not mean that I have something against shooting a buck. If it is a deer, I enjoy hunting them. I am not out there shooting does as some kind of horrible penance or civic duty. I enjoy doe hunting and do get excited and eager to do so.

• Like 6

I really enjoy hunting deer.. I really enjoy the extra challenge of hunting nice bucks even more...I am afraid if there was not a buck tag it would be a really short season...I probably would have to pack all the guns up and break out a traditional bow or a sharp stick to get the same amount of challenge...

It might just happen that if does were the only legal harvest, all those antlerless permits that the DEC wants to  be successfully used might actually be used. Perhaps the numbers would go down to near nothing like they want. Perhaps we would find out just how much of a challenge does really can be when they start getting as scarce as bucks. The fact is that we might actually get to see just how stupid all our prized mysterious bucks really are when their numbers grow to where doe numbers are today ...... lol.

• Like 1

The fact is that we might actually get to see just how stupid all our prized mysterious bucks really are when their numbers grow to where doe numbers are today ...... lol.

I think if does were really hunted hard they might be a lot harder to kill than bucks.  For one thing,  during the rut,  does would not blindly follow bucks around all over the place while ignoring hunters.  Also they would not waste a lot of time rubbing trees or fighting with other does for mating rights!!  Unlike bucks their focus would be mostly on "not being killed".

I wouldn't quit. In fact I might spend more time in the woods. It would mean I would get to see all the bucks that I don't see now. I can just picture 150"+ bucks dancing around right in front of my stand.....all while laughing at me, but hey at least I would get to see them.....

I wouldn't quit. In fact I might spend more time in the woods. It would mean I would get to see all the bucks that I don't see now. I can just picture 150"+ bucks dancing around right in front of my stand.....all while laughing at me, but hey at least I would get to see them.....

I can picture it now 3 or 4 150+" bucks just browsing under the stand , no care in the world. Then my heart races as that 170# mule nosed doe steps out of the brush...

Nope, just not the same..... lol... It would take a while before the excitement of seeing a large rack went away.... Think it is a learned trait or a hereditary one?

• Like 1

Hey just hunted on LI yesterday. Now we went out there to hunt deer. I know my odds were very slim shooting a buck because some have shed and pressure was not high. This goes for most that hunted so with that said we mostly hunted doe and the turnout was real good. Plenty of people hunting does.

• Like 1