What one or two important things have you learned this year in deer hunting?

First-light

He is a post that maybe there will be no back-n-forth! lol

I'v hunted for 35 years and there are still many things to learn while out in the deer woods.

What one or two aspects of hunting that really hit home this year, you would share for all to learn from.

Could be as simple as gun safety or a new type of tree stand. Your never too old to learn something new

or just to refresh your skills!

Looking back on the last two months I think the two things that stand out for me are practice your bow skills and always go the extra mile while tracking a deer that has been hit. I missed a nice buck this year twice, why? Probably lack of practice shooting at targets in the woods or at least 3d. The other was tracking a deer that was hit good but a bit far back in the mid section. We had nice blood for 50 yards then nothing. We did circles looking for more blood and found nothing, did this for 1.5 hours. only after expanding the circle  and the smell of a musky odor in the direction that the wind was blowing did we find the deer.

Happy hunting!

Yes...good thread idea.

1. Watch out for shooting form changes when you buy a new bow. I often have the fortune of getting a new bow each year (although I plan on keeping them the same this year for now). I love the bow I have, but the grip is particularly challenging. I had to work very hard to be consistent. I usually have a light glove on my bow hand, and it significant changed my shooting, especially when in a stand. Always be aware of issues similar to this when buying a new bow.

2. The social aspect to hunting...some hunters can be downright nice, rude, or crazy. This also applies to landowners. Manage the social aspect well, and hunting season is much easier and more fun. The social game is going to be a larger player as time goes on in the hunting world.

1. Enjoy eery hunting day as if it is your last. There were too many season and career ending accident's/injuries this year. We have all seen them hit home on this site and the effects they camn have on families. So safety is what I am refocusing on for next year.

2. Practice in the close you will hunt in. (especially for bow). Cost a buddie of mine a nice buck in his first season of bowhunting. caught a sleeve on a bulky coat he didn't practice in. I usually don't follow this rule but will be in the future

1.  The previous season means nothing with respect to the current season.  Just because you had a great year last season, that doesn't mean you will have any luck at all this season.  (You might not even see a buck!)

2.  Don't get frustrated when you realize lesson 1 is true.

To keep my bow in check.  I shot it before the season and it was doing fine and I was right on.  However I hadn't had it inspected by a pro or someone of that sense.  My bow took a complete dump this year right in the middle of the season.  I will now take it somewhere every year before the season starts. 

Tracking deer.  This is the first year I've had to actually do some tracking on a deer.  Spooked one up because we want after it to fast.  Ended up pushing it to another hunter who shot it.  I really got a much better idea on what a blood trail should look like when a good hit is made that doesn't drop the deer. 

Also that deer pop up out of no where. 

Take care of your wife and family first.  Don't ever take a relationship with a loved one for granted.  19 months,  19 years or whatever. 

I've been thrown a curve ball and have received a wake up call,  I am changed in so many ways you can't believe it. 

I killed the biggest of my life a couple weeks ago and right now it means nothing to me.

My wife and I have just started the rest of our lives together with  love beyond comprehension.

No "smiley" can show my joy!

Take care of your wife and family first.  Don't ever take a relationship with a loved one for granted.  19 months,  19 years or whatever. 

I've been thrown a curve ball and have received a wake up call,  I am changed in so many ways you can't believe it. 

I killed the biggest of my life a couple weeks ago and right now it means nothing to me.

My wife and I have just started the rest of our lives together with  love beyond comprehension.

No "smiley" can show my joy!

Keep it together man, go the extra mile at all cost. It's cool you posted that.

Something I learned is ...... the deer are more stealthful than we are !  :'(

Ha-ha .... an old hunting buddy of mine used to have a term he used to describe those deer that just all of a sudden "appear". He used to call them Parachute Deer because it was like they just silently came down from the sky without a sound. I've seen that happen. Look to the left....look to the right.....by the time you swing your head back again, there stands the deer. ;D

Doc

1) You can always make up overtime at work or find time to finish school work later.  Life's too short to miss time in the woods or just doing the simple things that make you happy.

2) Who cares what you shot this season or what others think, if you enjoyed every outing into the woods and had a good time (even not seeing one deer) it was a successful season

All of these were great. Lets all remember safety. I bought a new ladder stand 21 foot, I had never thought much about safety harnesses, this year I used one and the 4th time I was in that stand the top ratchet strap came loose and I fell The tether caught me. I grabed the ladder with my leg and pulled myself to it. Ended up cutting the tether and climbed very slowly down, The next day I went and bought a new harness. My lesson learned was NEVER climb without a harness.

I learned another one last night.

TAKE OFF YOUR DAMN WEDDING RING WHEN YOU GUT A DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill be renting a metal detector tonight and going out in the AM.

Oooh, now that is bad.  Might be the last deer you take.  If you want to remain married that is. LOL  Now if you lost your wallet with all your credit cards and $5000 in cash would be one thing, but losing your wedding ring is a whole other story.  And inside a gut pile makes it 10 times as bad.  By tomorrow morning you may need to exterminate every coyote in your area if you ever hope to find that ring again!