Shooting Stick recomendation

biggamefish

I am looking for shooting stick recommendation.  I am not going to be using this it is a present for someone else.  I think he will be using it for deer, coyote and generally all around hunting- shooting.  Something that is easy and quick to set up and probably has more than a single leg.

x-2 on the trigger stick. I hunt 90% from the ground now.Have been using the Primo's bi-pod trigger stick for a couple years and it works great. Even if the ground is not level,easy up and down,swivel,and quiet adjustments. I use the shorter version as I'm mostly in ground blinds,and I tend to stay low to the ground when still hunting or a spot and stalk. I like it enough that I'm ordering the tri-pod version for the upcoming season.

Only down side is getting used to carrying it if you like to have your gun in your hands at all times when walking. 

I made a Varmint Al Bi-Fur Pod set of shooting sticks and made a few modifications . The bolt that holds the sticks together has a wing nut . I used the sticky back fleece where the gun forearm rests on the sticks then drilled a hole and used a Hitch Clip to keep the sticks pinned when walking , They can be used as a walking and adjusted for different heights by spreading the legs (of the sticks) . I made them with a couple of 4' tomato stakes that have pointed ends . They cast me about $4 or $5 about 10 years ago . I take them every time I gun hunt . Steady and CHEAP .

http://varmintal.com/abifu.htm

I switched from the trigger stick to a set of bog pod tripod.I usually use 2 legs and the thirds is there if I want it.The trigger stick always had one leg fail after a year or 2 of use.Spending 100 bucks on a set of sticks and getting one year of use out of them sucks

couldn't stomach the price of the primos stick so i bought a redhead for ~$20. It can only be adjusted by tabs at the bottom and it's difficult to keep level while adjusting. It's fine for a blind but I would not recommend it for any run and gun.

I bought a MAD x-blind this year and it's ok as well, but leaves a little to be desired.

I'm a big fan of the Primos trigger stick, I have the shortened bipod version. It sets up easy, adjusts easily on level and unlevel ground, breaks down to fit in my backpack, has good straps to hold the legs in place while traveling, and a good strap to secure the barrel of the gun to the bipod.

However I wasn't thrilled about the price, I think I payed close to $85 for it. Also the bipod version doesn't stand alone by itself so I would recommend the tripod version (imho). And lastly why does Primos put electric green and bright orange colors on their products? I figured a turkey could see it from a mile away so I camo taped and sprayed it with flat black spray paint.

Make your own out of a walking stick with extra branches on top for different levels.  Top side branches should only stick out a few inches and a custom carving can be done if you whittle.  Time consuming but well worth the effort.  The lighter the better! 

I made 3 walking sticks so far but do not use them to hunt with.  Fun when you are sitting at camp after tagging out!  Just an idea...

I am into my 2nd year with the Primos Trigger stick bi-pod. Great unit for still hunting because I can't always guarantee that can get to the next tree for support without being spotted, and I am the world's worse off-hand shooter when I can't find support. However, I will say that I was hit with a severe case of sticker-shock when I saw the price. I did have to make a modification to add an over the shoulder carrying strap.

• Like 1

I hunted in the rain with a trigger stick.  The next day it wouldn't support any weight and kept sliding down.  The tube got water in it and it would leave a smear of ice on the stick when extended.  Primos sent me a new one but it only comes out on sunny days.