Unethical or amazing?

Five Seasons

Unethical, I actually did something similar myself many decades ago when i was about 18.  I shot a doe and the fawn I didn't see standing behind the doe with 1 shot from a 12 ga.  Doe dropped, fawn ran and had to be tracked.  recovered both deer.  but I never rushed a shot again after that.  

This is another example of poor shot selection. The kid was not trying to hit the deer behind, but had the father been on the ball, he would have seen a very bad shot being set up and should have told the kid to wait. He dropped the ball there, and it could have turned out very ugly.

I am going to give them the benefit of a doubt and assume that wherever they were hunting, he had the appropriate tags to cover the two deer. But I would have liked to have seen the father say something about taking that kind of shot so the kid could have learned something, and anybody watching that video does not take this double kill on as a goal. We can only hope that that point was made off-camera.

I think the father gets the "unethical" ding on this one.

• Like 4

Ethics has no bearing on that what so ever..unfortunate yes...But this was a kid and his very first hunt...you could hear tires on gravel and see the deer turn their heads to look. You could also hear his Dad saying shoot...yes he was filming and we can see the deer behind the doe to be shot ..but I still can't say I know his perspective on the situation...I do know I heard a bit of disdain in his voice even though he praised his son...Why leave a bad taste in the kids mouth right at his first hunt...let a bit of time pass and ease into the subject of not shooting at "stacked deer" .Make him understand before the next hunt. He taught his sons not to push a wounded deer and to go back and  do their best for a recovery....Lord I don't say this often in questioning ethics ..but please pull back those rubber side line arms...your really reaching on this one....

This is another example of poor shot selection. The kid was not trying to hit the deer behind, but had the father been on the ball, he would have seen a very bad shot being set up and should have told the kid to wait. He dropped the ball there, and it could have turned out very ugly.

I am going to give them the benefit of a doubt and assume that wherever they were hunting, he had the appropriate tags to cover the two deer. But I would have liked to have seen the father say something about taking that kind of shot so the kid could have learned something, and anybody watching that video does not take this double kill on as a goal. We can only hope that that point was made off-camera.

I think the father gets the "unethical" ding on this one.

I like this response....  +1

The kid and the father made a mistake by taking and advising the shot, but the prayer the kid said right after sealed the deal for them, and led to a happy ending to the story.   All of our mistakes were paid for by a man on a cross long ago.    I feel sorry for all those who don't accept that fact. 

• Like 1

Awesome! Perfect example of what our great Ny state DEC is banking on that every Ny archer pulls off this year!

Sarcasm?

Unethical ........... and what if he only had ONE anterless tag !

Exactly. It wasn't intentional and that part bothers me... But not as much as it being a young kid.

The kid and the father made a mistake by taking and advising the shot, but the prayer the kid said right after sealed the deal for them, and led to a happy ending to the story. All of our mistakes were paid for by a man on a cross long ago. I feel sorry for all those who don't accept that fact.

So I can just fling arrows at deer and it's ok because "Jesus"?

• Like 3

Step one is to believe in Jesus.  Step two is to be like him, the one and only man who ever walked the earth without making a mistake.   The shot was clearly a mistake so he would not have taken it.  The kid and father both did wrong, but it sure looks like they were forgiven based on the successful outcome.  Funny how that often happens after you make it to step one.  Now they can get on to step two and do better the next time.    Amazing is what I call it.

Edited by wolc123

Did the father not expect a tight group over a food pile??? The deer weren't moving or leaving anytime soon,, I don't think you can blame the son,, that certainly is on the father and poor pre instruction of his bow course...

Certainly no ill intentions, by the son if they had multiple tags which In that area is not uncommon just poor teaching and now maybe after what he has learned he will be a better hunter and take more ethical shots...

I can say in my early years I made questionable shots and would be hard pressed that most if not all of you have had a shot where you said Damn I should of waited or not taking that ,, it's part of learning unfortunately IMO

NOT EVERYONES PERFECT

Take it up in the stand with you this fall, you may be surprised at what happens.   I definitely would not have taken my most symmetric and second largest racked buck ever were it not for reading mine up in the stand a couple years ago.   I just wish I could remember the passage I was reading when it fell from my hands, leading to the big bucks untimely demise, after I climbed down to pick it up. Happy reading and hunting JJB.    

• Like 1

be sure of your target and what is beyond it. 

while true it was the kids first archery deer the father could have waited for a safer shot presentation.  no one should pick and choose which safety rules to follow, would this even be open to discussion had he been skyline shooting with a gun?  Do the right thing and wait for a clean shot at a single deer. 

its always better to pass on a marginal shot than to try and push it only to later regret it. with a mentored youth you explain to them why they were not allowed to shoot in certain circumstances. They should understand and accept the reason and if they can't maybe that's the time to reconsider whether its time for them to start hunting.

be sure of your target and what lies beyond because once you pull the trigger or let go of the bow string there is no calling the shot back and there are no retakes.

• Like 1

Take it up in the stand with you this fall, you may be surprised at what happens.   I definitely would not have taken my most symmetric and second largest racked buck ever were it not for reading mine up in the stand a couple years ago.   I just wish I could remember the passage I was reading when it fell from my hands, leading to the big bucks untimely demise, after I climbed down to pick it up. Happy reading and hunting JJB.    

I'll tell you what jackass, I've seen enough good people and children die way too early, that to trivialize his existence to the point of it focusing on hunters making bad shots or choices that turned out well just to explain why they killed an animal, to be an embarrassment to truly religious people....and quite honestly you should feel the same.....and don't even say that "God" had bigger plans for them, because I doubt that many buy that.........happy reading wolc123.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 3

Take it up in the stand with you this fall, you may be surprised at what happens. I definitely would not have taken my most symmetric and second largest racked buck ever were it not for reading mine up in the stand a couple years ago. I just wish I could remember the passage I was reading when it fell from my hands, leading to the big bucks untimely demise, after I climbed down to pick it up. Happy reading and hunting JJB.

I'm just curious you believe that because you were reading the bible or whatever religion you practice is the reason you took that particular animal at that time ?

That's interesting if so...

Not to make this religious, but wolc123.... u say he never made a mistake buy how do u explain the great flood? That was to wipe away a MISTAKE.

The father should have taught his son never to shoot at deer so close to each other. Fortunately they recoverd the second deer, seems like alot of "hunters" around here don't look if they don't see the deer drop.