Stand Question

DirtTime

If you only had one ladder stand or blind to use ( you know the land and where/how the deer are moving, bedding etc  ) what would you do? Where would you place it? Wind is huge I know that. But....If you only had one would you set up near a water source, just out of the super thick bedding area, or over the area they are walking through?

I am leaning towards setting up near the bedding area.

I cannot use a climber so that's out of the question.

Edited by ....rob

I would use a ladder stand in preference over the blind. I would keep wind, sun and good cover tree at the front of my plan. I would also prefer the deer to be coming from a angle from left or right across in front of me. I never want to be on a trail where deer are coming looking right at me. To easy to get picked off getting your weapon ready.

The spot depends on what time of day you are hunting it, morning, night or all day as this will probably mean a lot towards where you will want to be.

I could never commit to one spot for an entire season of hunts. (even if only one stand)

Do your homework for the initial hang, and when deer behavior begins to change as the season progresses, you need to change with it.

Sure, you can get lucky hanging off the side of the same tree if you sit there long enough..., but that ain't no fun waiting for luck to happen. :whistle:

This is no joke some people have as many as 10 stands and blinds out there.

I have hunted my property for the last 10 years, have had a number of stands and blinds set up. I have everything you mentioned on the property.I am now building a raised blind in a small clearing that is open about 50 to 75 yards all around but at the height of the platform I can see into some thicker areas and now see 100+ yards.This is an area they pass just about every morning on the way up the side of the hill and pass by on the way back down in the afternoon, they also stop to feed there in there travels. It is easy to get too with out making a lot of noise. If it  is not your own property you better do a lot of scouting well before hand. LOL.

• Like 1

I have hunted my property for the last 10 years, have had a number of stands and blinds set up. I have everything you mentioned on the property.I am now building a raised blind in a small clearing that is open about 50 to 75 yards all around but at the height of the platform I can see into some thicker areas and now see 100+ yards.This is an area they pass just about every morning on the way up the side of the hill and pass by on the way back down in the afternoon, they also stop to feed there in there travels. It is easy to get too with out making a lot of noise. If it  is not your own property you better do a lot of scouting well before hand. LOL.

10 stands? If I told my wife I only had 10 stands, she'd probably laugh and call me a liar.

If you only have one stand to set and won't be moving it - place it in a position that allows for the most huntable winds/thermals and access/exit points. Ideally, a funnel or transition zone. Sort of a best of a worst case scenario I guess.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Assuming you have a one stand only, never move option, I would want to be between food and bedding.  As close to bedding as possible, without busting deer out on entry.  Of course, you need to consider predominate wind - don't want to blow into bedding from stand or blow into predicted travel route.  Cover while in the stand would also be of utmost importance to me.  Lastly, you need to be sure to have good access to the stand.  Again, not blowing into bedding or otherwise being detected while traveling to stand.

Agree with others than you need to consider likely shot options in terms of anticipated deer travel.  I would want to be on the down wind side of expected travel route by 15-20yds with a broadside shot.

Not sure what prevents you from moving in season, but mobility is a huge plus.

Post a map........LOL! Good one WNY!

I have a few natural ground blinds I made last summer and last fall to hunt different locations on a given time of day/wind/etc. I want something so I can still get out on light rain or mist days. Something with a water proof roof. I really am leaning towards a ladder stand. They are stable enought to help with a fear of heights.

The only reason I was thinking bought blind is even though it's not a great idea, I can move it. The deer in the area ar used to people, ATV's, tractors... and they even use our camp as a toilet in the summer. LOL. So I doubt movint it would bother them.

Left to right in front of me?...Most of the natural blnds are like that. Not sure why that would matter though. Would love to hear why this would be relevant. They do move in the evening from a small swamp and the bedding to a pond. The pond is on land I don't have permission to hunt. YET! Now I will have to ask.

Right. Got it. Never thought about it, but I usually set up like that on habit anyway. The less you turn the body the better, I do get that.

I know the land. It's not mine but I have a camp with the owners son. We walk and ATV all summer. I know the borders and and I even knew where the turkey would have been if I had gotten out in May. I know the boundries, I also have permission to hunt the land on one side, but have to get permission for the other yet. Wii ask a few weeks when I head up for a weekend.

While riding we have seen deer 10 feet off the trail and they just look at us while still chewing on w/e. Most of the time they don't even run, they just walk off while we sit there on running fourwheelers.

Edited by ....rob

Most of the natural blinds I have already are on a hill side/top. One is on the flat as it looks over the bedding area and that is on flat ground. Like I said, Just curious how people would set up for only one stand.

I just eliminated the ground blind. No need to buy something I can make more of. A few down branches and I could always use a camo tarp as a roof ( or walls for that matter ). So I am looking at a ladder stand and an umbrella.

Also, I would never actually set up on a "deer run".

Edited by ....rob

Hahahaha..ya right....38+ stands...that said I could tell you the best spots BUT as per usual not any where near where the "experts" say are good spots..yet.... So with that said, I do enjoy all my ridge stands

• Like 1

beggining of the season it would be set up on a path coming out of the thickest nastiest part of the prop heading to a field or acorn ridge where i had westerly wind in my face. 

Rut it would be 80 yds down wind of a known bedding area with a nw or n wind in my face

late season it would be near a food source with Northerly wind in my face.

You ever see the old abandoned cars/trucks/vans  in the woods, they were not gust left there because they could no be taken out, Just think about it, most of the time at the edge of a field or on a tree line. Out of the wind and rain and a nice comfortable seat . Hmmm.

• Like 1

and if you dont care about wind and scent you might as well just put it right in the middle of the bedding area and you will have 1 sit to make it work.

Scent? What's that? I figure opening day I will just drive a tank into the woods. C'mon! LOL

You ever see the old abandoned cars/trucks/vans  in the woods, they were not gust left there because they could no be taken out, Just think about it, most of the time at the edge of a field or on a tree line. Out of the wind and rain and a nice comfortable seat . Hmmm.

Might be good for a gun. don't think I could have drawn a bow inside an old abandoned car. LOL

Just picked out my stand. 2 man ladder. I like my space! Still up in the air about placement. Main food sources are about a mile away. So they hit the bedding area and the swamp both morning and evening. The buck I was chasing last year was on the back of the swamp, and had scrapes and rubs around our camp and near a stream bed that is only 15 yards from the road. OH, this is the NZ. So it has to be set up for a buck.

Find the thickest, nastiest, cover on the property. Set up for a NW wind to be in your face, just outside of that cover. Wait for the first good cold front, close to the rut. Get in there before light, your deer will be along at just about anytime that day.

• Like 1

10 stands? If I told my wife I only had 10 stands, she'd probably laugh and call me a liar.

If you only have one stand to set and won't be moving it - place it in a position that allows for the most huntable winds/thermals and access/exit points. Ideally, a funnel or transition zone. Sort of a best of a worst case scenario I guess.

We have close to 30 on about 200 acres between 2 properties and 7 hunters.

Hunt off the ground! One stand not movable will be burned out quick, you have no option for wrong wind,food pattern changes,rutting changes, I have 40 plus stands ,and a climber, and still hunt off the ground if it calls for it.

what will you do if you have an ice storm and stand is glazed over?

I am going up in a week to get wood piled up for camp.. Just confirmed that one. I plan to ask permission to hunt the right and backside properties, as well as an adjesent property. The back will be a pain! The woman who owns that has a bunch of so called Suffolk CO. Sherrifs that drop in there. They went around emptying Glock mags while drunk and on a moving side by side. They showed us the video. They laughed, I puked!

I think I will set up the ladder about 200 yds from our camp overlooking the swamp and a small flat area. Then use the natural blinds to sit in on occasions for wind and movement.

Thanks for the help folks. I really do appreciate it.

Since you stated you can't use a climber , I would go with the ladder stand near a well used trail . I personally prefer to have my stand around 15 - 20 yards away from the trail and have had good luck doing that . The stand should be placed for easy access where you can approach it without being seen . Those 2 man ladder stands are nice and roomy ... quite comfortable .

• Like 1