Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

Sure I do...and I have allowed some whoppers to walk due to shot angle, speed and being in my range but on the limiting edge and not willing to risk it...See here it is...MY CHOICE just like it's my choice to say I refuse to participate in a flawed plan and sit in the woods to shoot doe only and being TOLD to hold off on a buck...when it just is not necessary period.

This is much more about 'hunter' management than it is about wildlife management.

I have no doubt  there are some insightful and capable people working for the NYSDEC, but in the end it's about politics, and having people do what they're told.

These folks consider themselves grownups, but what they're saying is:

"I'm not touching you. You can't get mad. I'm not touching you..."

Edited by philoshop

One thing that this thread has really brought to light is just how much animosity there really is from gun hunters toward bow hunters. I always suspected that it was a much bigger problem than is generally acknowledged, but the comments on this thread plus a lot of other sources, is showing an increasing divide in the hunting community based on the use of a bow.

yup, it was like tossing a piece of meat to a pack of hungry dogs and watching them attack each other.

It's pretty shitty a few gun hunters think their fellow hunters deserve what we got. Honestly that hurts even more than the reg itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amazing isn't it?, and I'm not siding with gun or bow hunters, as I am equally both. it started out with anger at the DEC and then the blame game started....the old divide and conquer.

A dead doe is still a dead doe though right?

Ummm...Yeah...Whatever your point is...

I wasn't trying to make a point, only sharing a personal observation..

I'm an old fart and I know a lot of bowhunters, the great majority of whom are also gun hunters, and can't remember the last time that any one of them shot a doe with their bow..Many of them, however, shoot smaller bucks with their bows and then make excuses as to why they shot one that small. Of course, many gun only hunters do the same thing...It seems they feel they have to apologize or make excuses for shooting a buck that measures under 130 or so.. One of the most popular excuses is " If I hadn't shot it, the damn Amish next door would have"...

Nothing better than a summer taken deer to eat. Buddy hooked me up with a bunch a few years back as he was doing the same thing. I swear you can taste the difference in a browse eating deer vs a berry and grass eating deer.

They eat a lot of soybeans but at least they don't have a blah Tofu taste !  A farmer in Penfield called me last summer and asked if I would be interested in taking a doe out of his crop field . I jumped at the chance and got a nice doe . Took the pressure off for the upcoming Bow Season .

no matter what weapon I carry, I very rarely pass up an opportunity on any deer that I can legally tag......I'll pass fawns in most situations, and this year was the first time that I can ever remember, in recent times, passing up an adult doe while I had a dmp in my pocket....

• Like 1

Haters going to hate. We get labeled as elitist and honestly that doesn't bother me. Almost all bow hunters I know are very dedicated, well trained and knowledgable. Doesn't mean the gun only guys aren't, but generally you have to be good to bow hunt. Those that don't have the patience will quit. So somehow then we get hated on for being successful.

I'm glad that you don't mind being labeled "elitist", because that is one the most elitist posts I have ever read...

You common " read non-bowhunting" shmucks HATE us because we're so GOOD....

Who thinks that?

Read the thread

Ummm...Yeah...Whatever your point is...

I wasn't trying to make a point, only sharing a personal observation..

I'm an old fart and I know a lot of bowhunters, the great majority of whom are also gun hunters, and can't remember the last time that any one of them shot a doe with their bow..Many of them, however, shoot smaller bucks with their bows and then make excuses as to why they shot one that small. Of course, many gun only hunters do the same thing...It seems they feel they have to apologize or make excuses for shooting a buck that measures under 130 or so.. One of the most popular excuses is " If I hadn't shot it, the damn Amish next door would have"...

So that's the issue the dec sees and some of the guys in this thread. That bow hunters don't shoot doe. But if I take one with the rifle... What does it matter? That's my point. Who cares if I take a doe with the bow so long as I take a doe. But the DEC obviously does care.

I'm glad that you don't mind being labeled "elitist", because that is one the most elitist posts I have ever read...

You common " read non-bowhunting" shmucks HATE us because we're so GOOD....

Well if it's not that; why the hate?

What hate..?? You're the only one mentioning hate...

I just think everyone should go out and hunt and have a good time, without worrying so much about what the OTHER guy might be doing..

If you feel somebody hates you because you're a bowhunter, perhaps that's an issue you should discuss with your shrink, while you are addressing your superiority complex.

• Like 2

Yes guys can change it!....you have a little less than 2 months to find another place out side these doe only zones...find a place and go enjoy experiencing new hunting grounds...If you have considered it in the past...Well now you have an excuse...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I hunt with bow, gun, crossbow, and inline m-l. I put on my hunting pants just like any other hunter, one leg at a time. And I think all hunters should be able to shoot or not shoot what ever they want as long as they stay within the regulations. The DEC sets those regulations, not other hunters. If blame for bad regulations is to be placed, it should not be towards other hunters.

• Like 3

What hate..?? You're the only one mentioning hate...

I just think everyone should go out and hunt and have a good time, without worrying so much about what the OTHER guy might be doing..

If you feel somebody hates you because you're a bowhunter, perhaps that's an issue you should discuss with your shrink, while you are addressing your superiority complex.

Actually, anybody who has been following this thread and doesn't see the gun hunter vs. bowhunter animosity showing through, can't be really paying attention. It has nothing to do with complexes, but a simple honest reaction to some of the comments on this thread. Apparently I am not the only one picking up on that.

The idea of everyone going out hunting and having a good time is an honorable thought, but bowhunters are not the only ones who should be thinking that way.

• Like 3

I got it!

So after reading this thread I finally see the hidden hate.

So many so called bow hunters here hate the new DEC plan (actually everyone is against it) but some of the most vocal protesters, those who are either not going to hunt the first two weeks, refuse to shoot does in affected areas during archery season, hunt other ares where they can shoot a buck the first two weeks, basically those with the lets say "protest" the new plan, they happen to be muzzleloader hunters.

Now what would they have to gain with bow hunters refusing to follow DEC plan?

Just because you don't like what's being said doesn't make it hate!

But feel free to point it out.

In most cases (not all), the word "hate" might be a bit strong. But anyone who has not spotted the bias and language of animosity here and there, either hasn't been following the thread or simply doesn't want to see it, or is part of it.

• Like 3

Why do you feel a need to continue poking this bow/gun issue?I see you bow hunt and I also see you list 4f..isn't that in a non affected area?

Yes I'm vocal on this and yes I have no Love for the DEC...though that is mainly Those operating out of the region 8 main office...other wise I have had no problems with those I have delt with in region 7,9,and 8's southerntier staff. Yes I will protest bad policy and never apologize. I won't blame fellow hunters fora problem they did not cause.Had sound policies been made starting years ago...they would not be implementing BAD policies now. This one is so flawed they can not even hide what the real agenda behind this is.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 3

Grow,

It doesn't affect me THIS year, but all these hissy fits knee jerk reactions aren't going to help bow hunters.

Next year year when there is a two week muzzleloader season thrown in archery season don't start whining!

See after that happens the two week season will spread throughout the state and Us True bow hunters who can actually see what's coming and are trying to prevent it will all be affected

So either bowhunters try and shoot does in the affected areas and try to appease DEC even the slightest or welcome the guns with open arms.

Pick a side