What does this bear weigh?

lu.cio.fin

Couldn't tell you weight, but everything I've been told about aging bears points to that being a small bear.  I was always told to look to the proportion of ear size to head size, as well as the proportion of leg length to body size.  Long legs and relatively big ears compared to head = small bear. 

• Like 1

With any luck we'll get to weigh him next month and will post the answer. Also the bear seemed solitary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, you work for the DEC! 

Are you doing a trap and tag operation?  Looking forward to your pics and stats on the cute little cub.  Hopefully the little bugger doesn't get hit by a car in the meantime.  Maybe in a few years some lucky hunter will get a crack at him/her.

• Like 5

I'm not an expert and was asking for opinions.

Sounds like hunting etiquette suggests there should be a minimal weight, not just a lone bear.

What do you think that weight should be?

Were you considering shooting that bear? If so, don't bother. You can throw a rock at it and kill the poor little guy. Why waste ammo or risk losing an arrow?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 2

its a cub most likely still wit its mother if you see it or any other bear wait  about 10 minuets and see if the mother comes or her cubs   if you shoot the mother cubs will die like other said wait a few years and this bear will be a good size to shoot 

Sounds like hunting etiquette suggests there should be a minimal weight, not just a lone bear.

If it meets the legal requirements and you want to take it, then have at it. Bear are one of the hardest animals to judge for size. especially from a photo like this. It appears your camera is up high and looking down?  I would be willing to bet that NY's average size bear taken every year is no more than 150#s. a year and a half old male, displaced by it's mother may not even go over 100 pounds. 

• Like 2

How many of you guys that say not to shoot it, would shoot that spike buck?

I would shoot both.......even more so the bear,that way if it tasted like crap, there would be that much less meat to try and choke down.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 3

It probably is a year old bear...Ive looked at many from bait stands in Canada. Judgement call on if you want a bear that bad...If the hide is real nice it can still make a nice display, and bear meat treated properly is fine dining. LIke someone else pointed out....most NY bears are on the small side...young, foolish, uneducated. Just like deer, there are a lot more small to middlin ones than big ones.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes he is about a 100 pound bear and bear that aren't feed by garbage taste great to me.If its legal and you want him take him.Don't listen to anyone here telling you not to.Its your tags,your money and your time......I would love to see SHawnHu kill that bear with a rock.In fact I would put good money that the bear would mess any adult man up unless he had a weapon that used distance to the hunters advantage!!!

• Like 1

Hey tools, lay off the guy.

If you want to kill that bear, kill it. I would shoot it without a second thought, & hang him on the meat pole right next to a spike buck. Sure he's young, but as last year's cub, he is legal (Per DEC region 8 office). I wasn't aware that we had QBM, or a pilot weight restriction program to reduce yearling bear harvest. Any legal bear is a great kill IMO, & he'll taste good too.

Shoot it and be happy.

• Like 1