Wait….How much??!!

ants

I have always done my own oil changes. But my wife recently bought a car that just sits too low to get under and do the change. It was due for an oil change so today she took it to Valvoline instant oil change. When she got home I almost flipped when she told me what she paid for a basic (conventional) oil change…$44.99 plus an additional $3.99 for an extra quart. Her car takes 6qts.

What??   Have I been out of the quickie lube game that long?? I figured it would be like 20-30 bucks….

Right now I change my own oil in my truck, with full Synthetic oil and a premium filter, for about 30 bucks……. Been doing it for years

ok, so maybe saving $15-$20, not a total screw job by any means.....I'm certainly not gonna crawl under your car and dispose of the waste oil for any less.............just the other BS that they try to sell you and the sales tactics that keep me doing my own 90% of the time.

If I go to one of those places, I give them the grumpy old man routine. Before they even lift the hood I say, "Look, I came here for an oil change and filter, right? Don't bother me with all the other crap, just oil and a filter. Understand? " Works everytime. lol...

• Like 1

My trusted mechanic was a good friend of mine. He charged me $70 an hour and I didn't complain because I never felt he was ripping me off, and I just don't like doing that sort of work. He asked me two years ago to build an addition on his shop and screamed bloody murder when I qouted him a rate of $35 an hour.

After the mennonites he hired to build the addition screwed up the job he asked me to come in and and fix it. I told him that if he brought his addition over to my shop I'd be happy to fix it for $70 an hour.

I have a shop and a fixed base of operation with many of the same overhead costs, but I'm expected to pack and transport all of my tools and materials to his job site for half of what he charges?

My current mechanic is a Jamaican pot-smokin' Rastafarian retired from the auto industry who does a little side work. I do not partake of his sacrament, but he also drinks beer, so we get along just fine.

We mostly trade services. I have a great-running truck and he has a really nice kitchen.

• Like 3

I use an " independent " mechanic , two bays ,two lifts no sign or advertising .

$50 and hour and does not mark up the parts, which many places will mark up as much as 200% or more.

$50 for a diagnostic check , no further labor charge if he can fix it in under 30 minutes.

Honda timing belt and water pump $600 at dealer, same belt and a better pump from Don

Was $400.

I have not used a chain or dealer in years.

• Like 2

The instant oil change places are a screw job. I worked for VIOC during and after high school. The shady stuff that was done there was crazy. I wouldnt take my car there, an oil change isnt an emergency thing, and can be done in less than 20 minutes at home with a set of ramps if your car sits too low to scooch under. I do a full synthetic oil change on my truck for less than $50, and take the waste oil to a mechanic I know that has a waste oil furnace.

• Like 1

Just took wifes car in last week to Basil Chevrolet . $31 out the door

Few years ago I took my Subaru into a little oil change place for oil change. I got in car, drove 50 feet and awful grinding noise. Walked in to talk to manager. He has the balls to tell me it wasn't anything they did. Turns out they drained the tranny fluid and then filled oil. Car was undrivable  had to flatbed car to dealership to have it fixed. They paid for the service and I got personal guarantee from them stating if I had tranny problems down the road they'd cover it. And a couple of free oil change coupons. Um, yeah, no thanks !! 

Just took wifes car in last week to Basil Chevrolet . $31 out the door

Few years ago I took my Subaru into a little oil change place for oil change. I got in car, drove 50 feet and awful grinding noise. Walked in to talk to manager. He has the balls to tell me it wasn't anything they did. Turns out they drained the tranny fluid and then filled oil. Car was undrivable  had to flatbed car to dealership to have it fixed. They paid for the service and I got personal guarantee from them stating if I had tranny problems down the road they'd cover it. And a couple of free oil change coupons. Um, yeah, no thanks !! 

My daughter's Forester have NEVER gone into a quick Lube place and not had a leak on either the drain plug or the filter. Even after I tell them to pay attention to it, it leaks.