Close Call In Niagara County..........

Lawdwaz

A very scary accident happened at 3:00 today and I was within 4' of a car that had just T-Boned another at the intersection of Rt 31 and Rt 93, right in front of Carson's. 

I was driving my p/u and my boss was with me, I had just stopped at the red light and was in the rightmost lane of the two.  (I don't recall now if there is a dedicated left turn lane there??)  From the picture of my truck you can see that I stopped far short of the white line as I usually do for some reason.  The vehicle to my left, also waiting to go straight was up on the line. 

Bob (my boss) saw more than I did as the accident was somewhere to the left of me and out of my sight.  Bob saw a little more of it but what we both saw was the black or blue car that hit the gal in the beige-ish car (seen in pics) go shooting across the front of my truck 4' from my front end at an extremely high rate of speed.  The sound of the crash was horrific and it was the first thing we heard or saw.  Then parts flew everywhere and  the car came right by us and both Bob and I threw our arms up in the air to brace ourselves for the collision that missed by mere feet......................

I jammed the transmission in park and we jumped out, shaking like a tree in a hurricane!  Bob went to the second car which had traveled all the way to the far end of the property where Carson's driveway is, maybe 100 yards?  The driver was probably unconscious from a blow to the head that was bleeding when he exited the passenger door about 30 seconds after the wreck.  He was acting a bit stunned and wanted to go punch whoever just pulled out in front of him.  Bob talked him out of that.................... :)

The other driver (car pictured here) was shook up but appeared unhurt!  The miracle of airbags in both cars had to save lots of pain, sorrow and maybe death today.

You can see the car tracks right next to the front of my truck.  If I'd have pulled up to the line, Bob and I might have been in the hospital right now.

Scary stuff.  :(

image_zps56bpopli.jpeg

image_zpso9lyrccw.jpeg

• Like 1

So if I understand correctly the vehicle turning cut the turn short, if so I am not surprised. I can't believe how many people turn at close to a 45 deg angle instead of closer to a 90 deg. angle. I usually pull up to a stop line maybe I should rethink that.

I'm honestly not sure what happened as it was to my left about 25-30 feet and the mini van next to me was closer to the line and blocked my view.

I believe the car that almost got me was going north on Rt 93 and the other car might have run the light to go straight or left but I can't no for sure.

I think I'll have a stiff Manhattan now to settle my nerves..........

• Like 1

i had a kid turn left and right in front of me as i had a green light going straight through an intersection.  he had a chevy blazer suv with heavy front grill bars and skid plate.  it totaled my little cavalier.  nobody stopped who noticed or was in a position to notice who happened to be there. to place fault.  his parents showed up and coached him on what to say.  the mother even consoled him and then tried placing all the blame on me.  she wasn't even there.  i didn't get confrontational or anything because i was still in shock and couldn't believe i wasn't dead.  it actually messed up almost all my bow season.  hurt my shoulder and couldn't draw any bow back.  i understand them coming to their son's rescue.  however, the lies and not respecting the fact their son almost killed me doesn't sit well.  not that I'd recognize them now but if i came across them we'd all have a talk to put it lightly.

another time i was headed down a back road doing the speed limit of 55.  i had someone pull out in front of me at the last second from a side road.  took up the whole lane and then some.  like a deer in the head lights they froze and sat there.  i skidded and swerved hard to miss them.  skidding out of control somehow i regained control and drifted to a stop just before the ditch on the other side. out come of that one was much better as we both drove away without issue.

scary crap happens out on the roads.  just being a good driver doesn't mean crap.  that's why i don't have a motorcycle despite wanting one forever.  glad things turned out ok for you guys.

• Like 1

I have to say that getting out on the highway is getting to be quite an adventure these days. It seems that I cannot go to town without having at least one incident of somebody doing something stupid, illegal, or both. People ignoring stop lights/signs, diving out of driveways in front of me and then too, my favorite is some vehicle pulled over, almost off the road in the on-coming lane and cars just assuming that I am going to go into the ditch or out in a field as they pull into my lane to get around them. What the hell is wrong with people today? Seriously .... the highways are becoming a death-trap.

• Like 1

Dang !! Glad everyone is ok. I'm sold on hunting makes us more aware of our surroundings in everyday routines. Especially driving. My head is always on a swivel and seem to notice everything.  Sadly we can't teach people common sense on how they drive.

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1