Nuthin' special

jmg343

Yes I was wrong in thinking that legal light was 30 min before and 30 min after sunrise/set.  I don't know where I heard that, but that was my understanding and has been for several years.  I can now stand corrected and make adjustments.  I also admit that I have not gone over the regs with a fine tooth comb or read the book cover to cover.  I have been hunting since I was in 6th, grade.  I hunted alone too, go ahead and scrutinize that all you want as well.  I don't hunt over bait, I don't jack deer from my truck, I dont use firearms in bow only areas.  Judge all you want.  Like I said, I sleep fine at night.

so now that you know the rules, do you plan to obey them going forward? or continue to make illegal kills/poach?

If thats what you want to take from it.  Legal light is half hour before sunrise, no?  I wasn't looking at my watch and don't know the listed time of sunrise for that day, but the sun was over the ridge within the half hour.  If you're concerned, call the authorities, tell them to come and get me.

oh dear... I was going to comment about rubbing old deer piss on your boots till i read that.

Yes I was wrong in thinking that legal light was 30 min before and 30 min after sunrise/set.  I don't know where I heard that, but that was my understanding and has been for several years.  I can now stand corrected and make adjustments.  I also admit that I have not gone over the regs with a fine tooth comb or read the book cover to cover.  I have been hunting since I was in 6th, grade.  I hunted alone too, go ahead and scrutinize that all you want as well.  I don't hunt over bait, I don't jack deer from my truck, I dont use firearms in bow only areas.  Judge all you want.  Like I said, I sleep fine at night.

legal hunting hours don't require a fine tooth comb. even if they dont make sense. If you've hunted since 6th grade then i'd hope you would have known that by now.

You're going to get more crap about your attitude than the mistake. Thankfully no deer were wounded, but take your lesson learned with your middle finger down.

Don't sweat it jmg. Good kill.

and skillet shows his true colors again as well. There's a difference between letting it go and condoning it.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

legal hunting hours don't require a fine tooth comb. even if they dont make sense. If you've hunted since 6th grade then i'd hope you would have known that by now.

You're going to get more crap about your attitude than the mistake. Thankfully no deer were wounded, but take your lesson learned with your middle finger down.

and skillet shows his true colors again as well. There's a difference between letting it go and condoning it.

Where the hell did that come from? I said good kill. I'm not judging anyone, so that shows my "true colors"? Which I'm assuming to mean I support illegal activity? What he did or didn't do wrong, I don't know. I don't have the exact time he punched the release, as far as I know, no one does.

* removed language

• Like 1

I could see the reflection of the moon off of his antlers and was hoping he was a big 11 that I have on cam and have seen a time or two in the distance.  It was barely light but he presented broadside, under a full moon, at about 20 yards.

C'mon guys JMG is obviously just trying to get you worked up and you seem to be taking the bait! No one could really make this statement and think that they were shooting during legal shooting hours.

• Like 1

The fact that you couldn't tell if it was the 11pt you were after or not clearly shows that there was not nearly enough light and it was a dumbass thing to do. That said, nice buck. There's the pat on the back you were looking for with your " Nuthin Special" post.

• Like 1

While I agree is was a piss poor decision to shoot at a deer you have no business shooting at considering you couldn't even tell what it was (assuming based on what you wrote) before legal light (again based on what was wrote). You are hunting in NY with a NY license while posting on a NY hunting forum you should at a minimum know the basic rules, there really is no excuse there.   But none the less, I've met "old tops" that have been hunting for years that have assumed things where legal when there not.  Lesson learned, lets not beat this to a pulp, read the rule book ASAP.  And no I wont close this thread,  lesson learned, move on. 

• Like 5

If thats what you want to take from it.  Legal light is half hour before sunrise, no?  I wasn't looking at my watch and don't know the listed time of sunrise for that day, but the sun was over the ridge within the half hour.  If you're concerned, call the authorities, tell them to come and get me.

Dont tell him that....I hear he sings like Tweety!

its very funny to see how jealous hunters are!!! stick to shooting dinks and not calling everyone out, if you spent more time hunting and less time playing internet cop you would have more then a 60 inch dink and fork horns on your wall.  Give up the office job and put the green jump suit on, if not shut up and hunt.  You are the most winy person on here always looking for excuses why you cant kill a deer. I dont want to shoot vertical... no deer in my area... paid 5 grand and it was bad weather... id rather shoot a coyote... just admit the deer hunting thing isnt your gig and take up golf!

Great deer, congrats to the hunter!

• Like 2

its very funny to see how jealous hunters are!!! stick to shooting dinks and not calling everyone out, if you spent more time hunting and less time playing internet cop you would have more then a 60 inch dink and fork horns on your wall. Give up the office job and put the green jump suit on, if not shut up and hunt. You are the most winy person on here always looking for excuses why you cant kill a deer. I dont want to shoot vertical... no deer in my area... paid 5 grand and it was bad weather... id rather shoot a coyote... just admit the deer hunting thing isnt your gig and take up golf!

Great deer, congrats to the hunter!

Referring to Biz?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I assume you mean me. If someone blatantly breaks the law, I'm going to call them out. Hopefully I've saved the OP a future headache because now he knows the rules/regs. He admitted to hunting since 6th grade and all these years thought that legal hours were a different time, so I think the positive to come out of this is that he now knows the correct rules/regs.

Regarding your personal jabs, I only hunt a few days each year. Any buck is a trophy to me. I have no doubts if I had access to better spots I would shoot bigger bucks, but you are right I don't care that much about whitetail deer in NY. This is busy season for me at work and I'm limited in the amount of days I can take off. I'd rather spot and stalk and shoot 400yds than sit dark to dark waiting for an easy shotgun kill. My dad is buying land in Putnam and hopefully closing early next week. Hopefully in the next few years we turn into a productive spot.

The only difference between my Dad (who has shot 10-15 7-9pts) and me is that he hunts almost every single day and I hunt just a few days each year. We hunt the same exact spot and our tactics are the exactly same. I can't shoot them from the office in NYC.

Ps - I do love golf. I play 25-30 rounds each year between NY and Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

C'mon guys JMG is obviously just trying to get you worked up and you seem to be taking the bait! No one could really make this statement and think that they were shooting during legal shooting hours.

I'm on board with this guy, he tossed a few softballs and everyone swung with all their might.

It's got a few key things guaranted to get folks worked up, he sees the antlers in the moon light, he did not know for sure what it was, he starts a half hour prior, under a full moon, which on Oct 31 was not "full" .

Edited by Larry302

I'm on board with this guy, he tossed a few softballs and everyone swung with all their might.

It's got a few key things guaranted to get folks worked up, he sees the antlers in the moon light, he did not know for sure what it was, he starts a half hour prior.

Dont forget the age/on the decline comment lol. This guy is trolling for sure.

I hear this guy is quite the sportsman... caught 10 brook trout one Sunday last March, snagged a couple big salmon in Pulaski in Sept... killed a 20 lb. hen turkey last May... and shot a big NY 10-point with crossbow 5 years ago. Way to go! Next year hopefully a trophy Bald Eagle. :hunter:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well done,

Doe scent can really work.Everytime I went  in on my watch in the morning just above Cameron, N.Y. , I would put on the bottom of my Sorel,s some tinks 69. Start a scent track across the open field

then walk 10 or so yards out away from the pines where I sit inside the woods on watch. Track into the field deeper along the tree line and when I was about 40yds. below my watch.

Then I would cut straight into the woods and go in a at least 35 to 40 yrd,s in front of my watch.

Try this and see how you do on any opening day or during the rut. This works. Young bucks or whatever will track this scent on the same track you set up and track right in front of your watch. And then bamm.

Before you hit the field near your vehicle, you will need to descent your boots. I use a little water premixed with a touch of clorox. Pour enough on a small sponge to soak the sponge to descent the sponge

and then do your boots all over , bottoms sides ect. Going in, do not walk on any deer trails, go in where the grass is very short or the shortest.. Reason, your hunting pants can drop scent off on higher grass. When you get near your watch, doe scent your boots bottoms good and a little on boot sides. Then set up your doe in heat sent track.

The clorox mix ,I learned from trapping with a friend.

Again, well done with the doe piss scent. You gave it a try and it worked. Deer meat in the freezer.

Froggy

Anybody ever watch any of those game warden shows that sometimes show up on The Animal planet channel? I watch them everytime I find them. Good shows!

Anyway, I can recall at least two of those where the investigation was begun because of a post on internet forums or Facebook or some form of social media. These were guys who were bragging on the internet about hunting violations (even with pictures). They never said whether the fish and game department monitored the internet sites or whether a complaint was sent to them by somebody finding these confessions on the internet. But anyways, arrests resulted.

The point being, that it probably is not a very smart thing to admit to any law-breaking, publicly, on the internet.  I don't want to get involved with any sort of aiding and abetting activity (lol), but I will just say, "Don't be so damn stupid".

• Like 2