Sunrise/Sunset rules

jmg343

Most of the hunters I know personally are all jewish. I don't know the %'s but I would think jews are a very high % of Westchester county and Manhattan.

I think we had this discussion a couple years ago.  I would really find this hard to believe, but what can I do other than take your word for it?  I surely have not met every hunter who has ever hunted, but I have come across a good many nonetheless over the years.  I honestly never met a hunter who was jewish.  Even of the jews I've known outside the hunting world, I can't say any have been the least bit interested in hunting.  From my experience hunting seemed completely foreign to them.  Not something they'd want themselves or their kids participating in.

I think we had this discussion a couple years ago.  I would really find this hard to believe, but what can I do other than take your word for it?  I surely have not met every hunter who has ever hunted, but I have come across a good many nonetheless over the years.  I honestly never met a hunter who was jewish.  Even of the jews I've known outside the hunting world, I can't say any have been the least bit interested in hunting.  From my experience hunting seemed completely foreign to them.  Not something they'd want themselves or their kids participating in.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the types of Jews. The ones I know do not wear yamakas, don't have long hair, don't home on Fridays before sundown, etc.

trust me, there are some days where 10 minutes after sunset it's tough to see down south where 30 minutes is legal. It's all about common sense, and point is. at sunrise and sunset you can still clearly see. At 30 minutes past on a full moon snowy ground you probably can too, but there's a line and most states and hunters know 30 is a legit cutoff.

No, the NYS Environmental Conservation Laws say nothing about "common sense". There are explicit starting and stopping times and that is a good thing. At least it keeps all those shots in the dark down to a dull roar. Those idiots are using their version of common sense too. The problem is that contrary to their own beliefs, they really don't have any. I get a kick out of those who try to justify ignoring or thumbing their noses at the laws based on inconvenience. It really sounds like the bigger the rack, the more laws it justifies breaking. Hey .... these are the armed people we have out there in the woods with us.

And then there are those who are struggling to get everyone to admit that they break the law so they can feel good about doing it themselves. You drive 5 MPH over the speed limit? Well great, let's all go out jack-lighting tonight. Damn ..... what on earth is wrong with you people? You are not talking about accidently or inadvertently or mistakenly breaking the law. You are bragging about or admittedly planning on willful illegal action. And sadly you don't even see anything wrong with that.

• Like 6

Is venison kosher ? Does it have to be blessed by a Rabbi before you shoot it ?

All the the Jews I know eat and drink at regular restaurants. Again, I'm not sure what type of Jews only eat kosher stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

NH has the 1/2 to 1/2 rule given the buffer I will say I 99% of the time I start at sunrise & stop at sunset unless in a field

it is not easy to line up pins & deer past 20 yards

gun season in NH I will use the 1/2 to 1/2 as my scope collects a lot of light but my gun is still emptied a couple minutes after start & before end

ditto. i can do about 15 min after for bow. 1/2 hour is fine for scopes. I have yet to set the full 30 minutes past sunset this year in MS. Just wouldn't take a shot.

• Like 1

Now if it is light enough for me to identify a deer and the surroundings and light enough to see my fiber optic sights and its before sunrise or past sunset then call me a criminal but i don't pass up any deer that i have a tag for and feel proud to say i can feed my family, now if i intended to break laws and be a poacher i wouldn't even bother to buy license or even hunt in season.

• Like 2

December 19th, CVA muzzleloader 22 minutes after sunset. 50 yards. 4x power on the Nikon scope. he went 20 yards and died deader than a fart. Could clearly see his "dark" horns, on public land where I have to abide by a spread and beam AR, plus have to turn in the jaw bone.

They rarely move on public land during light. He came flying out of the bushes to check a scrape I was setup on.

legal in MS

Illegal in NY

024DBEC6-7D50-4A3A-B99B-8DF75DA1682D_zps

6EAA258C-4E9B-4DCB-8C0D-8F550ECDC9D1_zps

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

If you are a trophy hunter and that buck of a lifetime pops out of the bush 5 minutes after legal shooting hours and you drop him, or if you are a meat hunter and that doe pops out for an easy shot 5 minutes after legal shooting hours on the last day of the season and you drop her, I guarantee you that you, me or ANYONE else will have absolutely NO remorse about it.  I don't care who you are. If you do, you are definitely a rare breed then and I'd still have a hard time believing you, because I honestly don't think there is a hunter out there who will pound his head against the wall for more than 2 seconds for doing such a thing.  

Actually, I bought a watch specifically for the sunrise sunset rule.  Prior to that, I had never worn a watch for almost 15 years.  I use to use my phone but was afraid the light on my phone would give me away and one time my phone battery died so I couldn't tell if I was 5 minutes over or not.  Does that mean if a giant doe walks by 5 minutes after, I wouldn't shoot?  I don't know.  I might.  Hasn't happened yet.  Maybe it hasn't happen since I start packing up once time is up so I never gave it a chance to happen.  If that time comes I will face those demons then.  I certainly won't brag about it.  Yes, I would have gotten a deer but in my mind, I would have gotten it illegally.

• Like 1

December 19th, CVA muzzleloader 22 minutes after sunset. 50 yards. 4x power on the Nikon scope. he went 20 yards and died deader than a fart. Could clearly see his "dark" horns, on public land where I have to abide by a spread and beam AR, plus have to turn in the jaw bone.

They rarely move on public land during light. He came flying out of the bushes to check a scrape I was setup on.

legal in MS

Illegal in NY

024DBEC6-7D50-4A3A-B99B-8DF75DA1682D_zps

6EAA258C-4E9B-4DCB-8C0D-8F550ECDC9D1_zps

Thats a nice one I see its last years But its still a nice buck

People didn't get states to legalize marijuana by NOT smoking it and Just bitching about the law. You always hear more shots before and after LEGAL hunting hrs just like hardly anyone drives under or at the speed limit. People break laws but you drive ten miles over the speed limit not 110mph. Obviously from this thread some take sunrise and sunset very seriously ~~ I personally don't think I ever looked up the exact times before. I'm one of those guys that drives ten miles per hour over the speed limit with out a thought. SMH

Funny thing I've noticed in my area that i hunt the so called hunters i have seen hunting in the morning are usually gone by the time i get back at noon to my truck to eat lunch (Packed in cooler) and never see them the rest of the season again, now i usually hunt as much as i can and hunt dusk to dawn cause i don't waste time to tag deer for the freezer i try to get as much out of the season i can. Sorry for the long post but i'm just trying to get the point out that i paid for tags to not just get thrown out after season has ended and if that means that i hunt 20 min before sunrise or sunset makes me a criminal then so be it.

People didn't get states to legalize marijuana by NOT smoking it and Just bitching about the law. You always hear more shots before and after LEGAL hunting hrs just like hardly anyone drives under or at the speed limit. People break laws but you drive ten miles over the speed limit not 110mph. Obviously from this thread some take sunrise and sunset very seriously ~~ I personally don't think I ever looked up the exact times before. I'm one of those guys that drives ten miles per hour over the speed limit with out a thought. SMH

I've always thought you get something legalized by voting, friendly protests, and campaigning but I guess that's just me.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who has to read Growies post like 4 times to understand what she is saying?  

What I find comical about this whole thread is I think the OP speaks on behalf of the one weekend a year warriors who unload there guns at running deer before sunrise and somehow in some strange manner dont seem to shoot at all between sunrise and sunset.  Yet just barely past sunset they start banging away again.  At camp we get a kick out of opening day gun counting all the gunshots we hear before sunrise, I cant remember a year when it hasnt been over 100.  Sad thing probably 80 of them are from about the same 4 guys lol.

• Like 2