Why do some not respect

bowtech2

I'm 39 been around hunting all my life and love it so much. But as rifle season opens. Question why do some hunters not respect their harvest. Saw a guys car covered from roof to front bumper with blood not just not a little either. Another was I saw some guys dragging 3 deer down railroad bed behind their suv. To me this isn't respecting your harvest. More and more people that want to take hunting away from us. Doing stuff like this doesn't help. Maybe I was taught a little different then most. Sorry for the rant.

• Like 1

Not that I'm saying any of above is right but when I was young everybody put their dead deer on the top of the vehicle and it was normal and no one cared. Now we need to be so PC because it might offend someone where food comes from. See where that has got us too now in the crazy PC world where everyone gets s participation trophy!

I'm not sure hiding our hunting pastime is helping at all. You can also be respectful to the animal I'm not saying to do otherwise. It's just this oh hide what we do! I'm not ashamed of my hunting why should we be!

My rant lol

• Like 15

Not that I'm saying any of above is right but when I was young everybody put their dead deer on the top of the vehicle and it was normal and no one cared. Now we need to be so PC because it might offend someone where food comes from. See where that has got us too now in the crazy PC world where everyone gets s participation trophy!

I'm not sure hiding our hunting pastime is helping at all. You can also be respectful to the animal I'm not saying to do otherwise. It's just this oh hide what we do! I'm not ashamed of my hunting why should we be!

My rant lol

I know that's the way it was. I had few bucks hanging out of tailgate. I'm far from saying hide that we hunt. I'll never ever hide the fact I hunt. Things have change for us hunters. What does and doesn't help hunters is social media. Cause everyone has voice good or bad. I got bashed on Instagram from posting a pic of me in treestand. From people I didn't even know.

My belief is that media/ TV shows, magazines, etc. have turned deer hunting from a respected family learned tradition into a competition. When I started hunting in the mid 70s, shooting a deer was almost rare. The animals were treated with respect. Now, liberal bag limits (remember back then it was sometimes 4 hunters to a doe tag, no extra muzzleloader or bow tags...)allow potentially up to 3 bucks, and however many doe tags you can get signed over to you. How many of us know hunters who expect to shoot 4-5 or more deer a year? We used to hope to do as well rabbit or squirrel hunting....

Many people call them RATS and only want them illiminated.  I hate this but when that is the mentality it is hard to have these people treat them with respect.

I will always have my deer on the outside of my vehicle if possible and will never ever hide what I do or feel shame in showing people the reality of deer hunting.  We kill them!  Blood is involved and it is the reality of hunting and I will never hide it, in fact I show it off proudly so others get a bit of reality.  More power to this guy who had the deer on top of his vehicle!  If I saw him on the road he would get congratulated and a big thumbs up for showing who he is!  The idiots dragging deer behind a truck, depends.  Not everyone can afford a atv.  And many hunters do not drag deer anymore unless it is behind some motorized vehicle. 

I do believe you are right that we as hunters should show more respect to these great big game animals we hunt because the rest of the population thinks they are beautiful animals never to be harmed or they think they are rats that should be eliminated.  I give both a taste of reality when I get a deer and do not hide what I do by covering or trying to hide my kill.  Anyone behind me will see the deer accept for when I use the bed of the truck.  And with the ticks on them I prefer the cargo carrier.

I know many people who want to hide the reality of deer hunting and killing an animal but if more people understood why we do it and kids saw the reality and asked questions they might have a better understanding when they grow up.  VS hearing hunting is just bad don't ever do it and never kill an animal it is so bad.  Steaks for dinner with ham wash up kids.  

I will not be politically correct when it comes to hunting EVER or hide what I do.  I have gotten into heated arguments with some anti coworkers but they never win and reality is hard to argue.  I hide the guts after a kill and mount my trophies and glorify them, love them and yes hate them all at the same time, lol. 

How is that for a rant, lol. Clean up time!  Arg work Monday.

• Like 1

I don't do it cause I don't want to have to clean the blood off my car, but I would have no problem doing it. I think people need to see where meat comes from. Many people have a disconnect to their meat so this is important for them to see. As a kid I was never been "scared" when I saw a deer on top of a car...even before started hunting. As long as their not ruining the meat, I don't care how they transport the deer.

• Like 1

My dad and i put a buck on top of his equinox once and brought it home with blood running down the windshield . Next time ill leave it in the woods and build a shrine around it. I really don't understand the OPs gripe , they harvested a deer and brought it home with the transportation they had available . You make it sound like they killed it and then poked its eyes out with a stick. I think you you may have a case of caring what other people think . I do agree with the dragging behind the machine complaint .

Edited by Jeremy K

I usually tie them to the ATV like they're riding it and put a cigarette in their mouth, that right there is some funny [email protected] seriously, why go out of your way to offend people? I have no problem with people who don't like hunting or killing animals, rabid folk folk who are anti hunting is a different story......I'm more concerned with proper care of meat and see no need to treat it like crap, because that is what you will be eating if you do so.....................oh, and by the way, back in the day, you HAD to transport the deer in open view.

and no, it's not for hunter's to show the rest of the world where their meat comes from.....you would have to be half retarded, if not more, to need to see a deer on top of a car to snap out of it and say "hey, now I get it, my meat comes from a bloody deer on top of a car"....and if you're a hunter who sees this as the answer, you're even more retarded......and all respect went out the window when I killed it, after that it's all about caring for the meat that it's been reduced to.

Edited by jjb4900

It is not going out of your way to offend people it's going out of your way to not offend people that pisses me off.  I am not covering any deer I kill like some of the others I see doing.  Want to flip me the bird fine, I got more people giving me the thumbs up.  And you know what the questions kids ask about the reality of hunting is something that can spark the interest regardless of how anti thier parents are. 

That is not "see a deer on top of a car to snap out of it and say "hey, now I get it, my meat comes from a bloody deer on top of a car""  But if a kid asks about hunting he can find out that we do not just kill for pleasure and blood lust but that we do it to survive much like our four fathers did and eat these animals just like we eat chicken, pork or beef.  That is the point!  Not O wow I see a dead deer now I understand where meat comes from.  lol

Haha you guys crack me up! Up here in the big woods Its very common to see them hanging out of trunks or on top of cars or on 4wheelers in the back of trucks. No one pays any attention unless it's big! Most all of us have meat poles in the front yard too.

That was the way it was where grew up in Orange County. You don't see many people do that anymore. Most of the people doing that are city guys. I had one tied on my Atv in the back of my truck cause I could fit everything in. I was coming down 17 I had lady trying to run me off the road. I decide not to do that again. I'm not going to get into accident or worse cause I hunt.

Years ago ( prior to 2000 ) I had no way to haul deer other than tying on to the roof or on the trunk . Often I would wait until dark to drive the 50 miles home on 390 , 590 and Rt 104 as it would be less noticeable to other traffic . Passengers in other cars would try to look away . Usually drivers in pickups would honk and give a "Thumbs up" . After I bought a pickup truck , that all changed . Anyway , I did what I had to do to get the deer home and never felt that I had disrespected the animal in any way . 

post-132-0-62074900-1448287769_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-53309800-1448287803_thumb.jpg

At hunter safety they said "Cover it up, it saves the meat, it keeps people from getting upset" So if you smack it with your car and it dies a painful suffering death no biggie right? But if a hunter takes one out with one shot humanely and cares for it like a prized possession then there a sick murderous jerk. twisted world out there. Guarantee that deer lived a better life then the cow, pig or chicken in the frozen section. 

Funny story.....So its about 11:15pm driving home from work and up ahead I see flares out in the road. as I approach I see a guy setting down the last flare. I'm thinking oh crap must be a bad wreck. As I creep up to roll by I see that its not a wreck but a guy had hit a deer and then set out flares all around it so people wouldn't hit it. What he didn't do is kill it with the hit from the car. the poor bastard was flopping around in the road like a fish out of water. Must have clipped its back or stunned it. What a sight to behold this bizarre candle light vigil for the deer. Twisted world.....

I tied my deer off on top of the SUV, before those carriers came along and attach to the 2 inch hitch. I do try to get the deer to the nearest processor without fanfare. I cover it when transporting with plastic to keep dirt off the deer. I must admit to being concerned about some people being critical about hunting. Rather not stir the pot too much. I would rather live on the land I hunt and not worry about the politically correct crowd...If I had the money, I'd buy the land.

Nobody flips off an old man in a Buick ! Most wonder how the heck he shot the deer to begin with, I also drive home with the left signal on the whole way.....

If someone gets upset and flips me off I consider that a win for me, but I'm weird like that.

post-253-0-66600300-1448327195_thumb.jpg

• Like 5