First Buck of My Life!!

Jaeger

Wont go on about it, but here he is.  Got him Sunday am about 7:10.  One shot and dropped like a brick!  40 yards!

Been hunting since I was 18, bow on LI not successful, last 10 seriously in the catskills, but last 4-5 with AR's.

4 points on the left and 3 on the right.  

Yippie!!!!!

post-5364-0-22555400-1448552272_thumb.jppost-5364-0-31389600-1448552282_thumb.jp

• Like 20

I was lucky enough to score a nice 8 pointer ( by FL standards ) for my first deer during bow .... I could tell what I ate that morning , how big a sh$& I took before walking in , and any other detail you'd like .... The first buck is a lifetime memory and congrats !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Congrats my friend !!  What did you shoot him with ?

My tikka .308 compact.  Used a Woodleigh 165 gr. at about 2600fps.

Hit him at the base of the neck and the bullet took out the top of the heart and far shoulder and lodged under the skin on the far side.  Bullet weighed 134 grains for 81% weight retention.  That's some bullet!

I will admit to this.  I was aiming at the sweet spot directly behind the leg about 1/3 up on the chest.  Keep playing it over in my my mind how I hit about 8 inches higher and forward.  He was moving and sped up as I was aiming but I really think I just GOT A BIG CASE OF BUCK FEVER!!!

Hope any future shots are more on target.

As Tony the Tiger used to say: It was grrrreat!!

Edited by Jaeger
  • Like 2