What is your "big woods" rifle?

buckchaser

Most of my rifle spots can be called "big woods" ……Too many good rifles and calibers to list, but my top two for the past 15 years or so, have been my old Remmy 700 in 30-06 and my  Ruger M77 in 7mm-08. Both great deer droppers…...

Edited by ants

Everyone has different ideas in rifles. Mine are geared toward one good shot. That means bolt action.

I used to hunt Cranberry lake w a 700 in .270.

To be honest I think if I had to get a rifle now just for the big woods n weather that accompanies it, Id get a synthetic stocked gun.

I might actually look at a Tikka. I've shot em n they seem great. I'm am partial to my Sakos but they're heavy when humping in.

Calibers would be anything midrange. Gotta have some snot though. I've never subscribed to the heavy slow bullet theory.

Well I am going to guess the OPs "Big Woods" question is geared toward shots taken at shorter ranges which is the case most times when hunting large forested areas. Most of my Deer hunting is done in woods and I believe every one of my shots taken in the woods have been under 100 yards especially early in the season when all the leaves are still on. Back in the shotgun slug only days I killed plenty with a weapon that I do not consider to have gilt edged accuracy when compared to most rifles but accurate enough to place those old Foster slugs in the kill zone. In the last 30 or so years almost all the Deer I have taken have been with a rifle and few with a muzzleloader. Most with my 280 Remington Husqvarna and several in recent years with my Dad's model 95  45-70 Marlin lever gun. The common denominator on all those guns was I know exactly how they perform and had enough confidence in them that I could hit where I was aiming. So I guess what I am saying is as long as your Deer gun has enough power and you can shoot it and hit what you are aiming at with confidence it will do the job for you in big woods.

Al

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am going to guess the OPs "Big Woods" question is geared toward shots taken at shorter ranges which is the case most times when hunting large forested areas. Most of my Deer hunting is done in woods and I believe every one of my shots taken in the woods have been under 100 yards especially early in the season when all the leaves are still on. Back in the shotgun slug only days I killed plenty with a weapon that I do not consider to have gilt edged accuracy when compared to most rifles but accurate enough to place those old Foster slugs in the kill zone. In the last 30 or so years almost all the Deer I have taken have been with a rifle and few with a muzzleloader. Most with my 280 Remington Husqvarna and several in recent years with my Dad's model 95 45-70 Marlin lever gun. The common denominator on all those guns was I know exactly how they perform and had enough confidence in them that I could hit where I was aiming. So I guess what I am saying is as long as your Deer gun has enough power and you can shoot it and hit what you are aiming at with confidence it will do the job for you in big woods.

Al

I think you really hit the nail on the head. Most deer in the big woods are killed within a distance that most any gun can be effective. The most important thing is confidence in your weapon/caliber of choice. Most times in the woods you don't have time to range and get settled before taking your shot so confidence and comfort with your chosen weapon is very important in killing the deer.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Rem 7600 30-06 with 180 core lockets.   Set up with williams peep.  Simple, light, easy to one hand carry and unaffected by snow and rain.  Can handle any bear or deer.

If bear were not a real possibility, then the 'ole 30-30 winny set up similar with 170's.  Same deal.

• 3 weeks later...

I hunt with my grandfathers old .44 Ruger carbine when in the woods.  Peep sight, and knocks everything down it hits.  It is perfect for the thick Dacks.  I really can't imagine hunting with anything bigger or scoped where I hunt.  It is simply too thick to ever get much of a chance to shoot beyond 50. 

(stock pic below of the same carbine)

Ruger44carbine[1].jpg

• Like 2

I hunt with my grandfathers old .44 Ruger carbine when in the woods.  Peep sight, and knocks everything down it hits.  It is perfect for the thick Dacks.  I really can't imagine hunting with anything bigger or scoped where I hunt.  It is simply too thick to ever get much of a chance to shoot beyond 50. 

(stock pic below of the same carbine)

Ruger44carbine[1].jpg

I love those carbines! I have 2. I wish a company would come out with one of these today and have it chambered in 454 or 460. That would be one awesome rifle. Make it weigh under 6lbs with a 16-18" barrel I would own one the second I could get my hands on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2015 at 7:35 PM, nyantler said:

I'll go one better and say the Rem 760, 30-06 ... I like the older model pump better because it has the same feel as my old Rem 870 Wingmaster... not sure why I haven't gotten one yet... maybe because I need another gun like I need a hole in my head. My buddy lent me his for a few hunts some years ago... I took a nice 8-point in the ADKs, and 2 bucks in Maine with it... the thing was a tack driver.

I have an old 7600 game master in 30-06 it has killed a lot of deer. it was originally my great grandfathers and is a safe queen now. 

my big woods rifle is the tikka t3 in .270 win. with 3-9x40 nikon bdc

• 2 weeks later...