To those admittedly chasing big antlers as priority 1, what if ....

moog5050

So for those of you that place killing a big buck, or bigger than last year's buck, as your primary objective when hunting, how would your future hunting change if you knew for certain that YOUR buck of a lifetime is already hanging on your wall?  Stop hunting, look for a new type of game, continue hunting for the second biggest buck of your life?  Just curious.

I would probably keep hunting myself, but my dedication may slip a bit.  I liken it to powerlifting.  I was very serious about that for years.  Now at almost 46 years old, I recognize that my biggest lifts are behind me.  Can I still be very strong, yes.  But I really can't expect to set any new personal records and that has impacted my drive to train hard without a doubt.  I would expect that same thing could happen with hunting.  Once you hit the pinnacle, its tough to stay as motivated.

I think it would simply put me in a different direction. Maybe helping a kid harvest something or a fellow hunter. I know I can't wait till my kids hunt, if they choose to do so. I guess I should try and get my buck of a lifetime in the next 8 yrs...

• Like 1

I already shot my buck of a lifetime, could there be bigger out there? I hope so and I will continue to pursue the largest buck on my property in hopes of him living to that magic 160" deer. I have shot 120" deer and don't get me wrong they get the blood pumping but it isn't as gratifying knowing there are bigger deer around.

For me it is a personal goal thing, I have high expectations for myself and know I can kill a deer it is about out smarting that old guy making it a trophy. I like a challenge and that is how I learn more every deer season. The deer likely know the woods better than me so I have to use all my bag of tricks to out smart him or he will out smart me.

I put meat in my freezer first (about 2 deer) until I start to trophy hunt.

Edited by chas0218

I've been fortunate enough to kill a few decent bucks in my life time.  If I were to never kill another one I would still be out there trying. It's who I am. Not what I do. I'll go until I can't go anymore. And there is always a bigger one out there somewhere!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 3

I don't think I would ever stop hunting....I might roll back over if it is raining or really windy out. I am not really sure you can ever get the get the actual "Buck of a lifetime". Once you get your Buck of a lifetime you hope for one better than that. Does that mean I wouldn't shoot smaller ones, no but it would keep me out there. As much as I hope for a chance someday of that buck of a lifetime, I enjoy being in the woods, hearing the woods wake up, and seeing deer no matter how big or small. I don't know anybody personally, that has gotten a deer so big they have no shot at getting a bigger one ever....

Lightning striking the ground once is an anomaly. Lightning repeatedly hitting the same spot time and time again isn't.

That just shows that you have a good spot for lightening strikes.  lol   And, with your biggest hanging already, I suspect hunting in the rain is less likely.

• Like 1

Two scenarios I hate hunting in the rain:

1. It's just above freezing

2. I only have doe tags left

Shooting a lifetime buck is hard for some people. Others, they can go right at it, just like before. If I were to choose who to pull up a chair with and talk deer hunting with (assuming same locale and hunter age/seasons) - the guy with the lone 200" or the guy with ten bucks between 120 and 150"....I'm picking the latter.

• Like 5

Good heavens, no big buck will ever slow my drive down.  You may not believe it but the size of the rack is far from the top of the list for me.  Honestly a perfect shot is the pinnacle for me, especially with the bow.  I LOVE a perfect arrow..........

If I NEVER killed another "good" (in the eyes of the hunter of course) buck, it wouldn't mean beans to me.  I'm tickled to kill any mature buck. 

Depending on how early it is in archery season, I'm happy to pass a 2.5 yo buck, not necessarily to shoot something better but JUST to extend my time in the woods, during the rut with a chance at a rut crazed buck.  After about the 7-8th of November, my standards slip fast. :)

As far as I'm concerned, my best buck IS on the wall.  WGAF though?  I promise, I don't.

• Like 1

Hunting big woods I don't score on antlers I want weight so it's different for me but I am always looking for the next challenge. Next year I plan on doing all my gun hunting with a pistol. Still hunting the ADK's with just a Glock. Shooting a mature buck with my Glock will be my ultimate trophy. After that maybe I'll try it with my bow.

I enjoy my time in the woods and try to hold out for a nice racked buck every season. Do I eat tag soup....YES many times. I don't shoot does, or small yearling bucks, but those are just the restrictions I placed on myself. Nowadays, I much rather put my serious stand hours in during the bow season. Gun hunting is loosing it's appeal to me of late?

Not much would change in my mind other than I wouldn't be  expecting a 140" buck to pop out at any time when I'm on stand.

I really enjoy my venison, perusing deer in general, hunting with good friends and just being out in the woods during deer season, so my passion and desire to hunt wouldn't diminish a bit.