Anyone Getting Ready For Camping?

DirtTime

I think were gonna upgrade and get a much bigger camper. We might go to one or two places but mostly at the land. Nothing like your own rural place where the dogs can run free and no ones around. I not a fan of camp grounds.

I've always wanted to do a winter camp out, IIRC I started a thread on that a few years ago here.

Still haven't been......maybe this winter?

Didn't you also mention you had a great canvas tent with a stove? I am being honest here, I mean no ill feelings, but if you had the gear, what kept you from doing it?

Didn't you also mention you had a great canvas tent with a stove? I am being honest here, I mean no ill feelings, but if you had the gear, what kept you from doing it?

Nope, no wall tent/stove for me.  Spent lots of nights in them and used to be a part owner in a 12x16 25 years ago but sold out my interest.

I have a couple good tents (not 4 season but I wouldn't be afraid to give 'em a shot) good pad and sleeping bag.  What else do you need? :)

• Like 1

we do one each year in march at willow bay in Bradford pa we usually leave around 430am on Saturday get there around 630 set up and do some drinking pay kan jam take a hike and hang out by a fire some stay in tents a me and my father inlaw bring our hammocks. we call it the mancation lol.

usually I make a venison chili we bring burgers hot dogs and lost my father inlaw cooked a delicious ham over the fire

Edited by Red
  • Like 2

Already made reservations in November for this coming August at Fish Creek Pond in the Adirondacks. Spent a week there last year tent camping and had a blast with two other families. Can't wait to do it again. May hit someplace closer for a long weekend before August but will be a spur of the moment decision.

Just got a dusting of snow and already I'm sick of it. Need some warmer,drier weather to get the corn hole boards out!!

I prefer camping in the actual woods too. But, the better half isn't into that ( anymore ). It's cool though, as I don't have to mess around making a fire-pit to cook a couple racks of ribs on.

When we camp we eat well. Part of a great camp is the food.

Nothing wrong with a backing packing trip with freeze dried food, but a nice steak.chops/ribs, is better then MH chicken.

• Like 1

I did saranac about 15 years ago I was 19 or 20 yrs old it was the first or secondweek in february me and 2 of my friends were hanging out and said it would be cool to go camping and try some where new and some what far from homevi went home that night looked at a map online called my buddy and said there's a place near lake placid called saranac lake he said let's give it a shot the next morning the 3 of us loaded up my buddies old suburban and left buffalo for the saranac we had food alcohol and a tent when we arrived we hiked into the woods to find a spot to put up the tent 20 minutes later we were lucky enough to come across a lean 2 yup that's spelles wrong we set up campand had a great time for 3 or 4 days there was a ton of snow and it was below 0 most of if not the entire time I hope to do a similar trip one of these years

• Like 1

Nope, no wall tent/stove for me. Spent lots of nights in them and used to be a part owner in a 12x16 25 years ago but sold out my interest.

I have a couple good tents (not 4 season but I wouldn't be afraid to give 'em a shot) good pad and sleeping bag. What else do you need? :)

A lady friend to keep warm is always a plus!

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

I might do a night in my little hut where I deer hunt this winter , wanted to awhile now.

As far as campgrounds , I've backpacked in several western states , hunted out of wall tents in Montana with deep snow and lows into the single digits , canoed in places like the Yukon and had great fun in NYS campgrounds too!

We'd go with several families , the kids could just take off for the day on their bikes , no TV no practices , just be kids. We'd have kickball games, It's where my kids learned to canoe , fish , build a fire . We'd make up games around the fire and often other sites would come over and join in.

It's not roughing but it's way fun.

A winter week end in Letchworths cabins would be fun.

• Like 2

My wife and I camp 2-3 times each year. Usually Columbus day weekend is the end of camping for the year. We always stay in our 3 room tent but last October we rented a cabin in Parker Dam State Park, Pa. It was great and we are planning on going again this Columbus day weekend. We bring our motorcycles and do day trips to see the elk herd.