Dill Pickles

Pygmy

I know that many of you , like Growie, make your own pickles, but how about store bought pickles available to all of us?

Having said that, my VERY favorite dill pickles are BICK's Garlic Whole Dills, made by Smuckers of Canada.

I cannot find a source here in the US, so I stock up when I go up to hunt gobblers every spring. They are a fairly big pickle, very crunchy and delisheous. Garlicky and not too vinegary.

My current favorite that is locally available is Claussen Whole Dills...They are SUPER crunchy, although I'd like to see them back off on the allspice a little. They are kept refrigerated at all times, so you'll find them in the meat case, or the produce area, or perhaps the dairy case.

• Like 5

I never used to like pickles. But I have an open mind and try it under good recommendation(usually my wife). I now appreciate a good pickle now and then.

There's a trap and skeet range that I visit now and again and nearby there's a deli that we would stop by. In said deli, is some imported pickles from Germany. I can't remember the name, but we had some and it was good, so bought some for the wife. Speaking of which, we are probably due to visit the range soon.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Not traditional type, but I made some refrigerator once that were pretty good.

My Mom used to do bread and butter pickles, and they were great.

All you need is a deep stock pot. Pickles are about as easy as canning gets.

My uncle grows hot garlic and it makes an awesome dill. just a little tang.  

IMHO, best commercial pickles are Klaussen whole dills. Best local pickles are Zayda's, http://zaydasbrand.com/index.php/shop-online. I remember when the owner was starting out, he used to drive to many of the local restaurants and bars handing out samples and taking orders, he was quite a character, I doubt he does that anymore.

My son makes some kind of refrigerator pickles . Have you ever made or tried these ? 

I've never done those becasue it seems like fridge space is always a premium.  I have had great luck with very crisp and snappy canned pickles by trimming off the blossom end and adding the recommended amount of pickle crisp. 

would love to see what recipe he uses though. 

• 5 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:09 PM, kpkot said:

I get grillos itailan style dills. From wegmans. They are in the refridgerator section.

I found the Grillos in the Corning Wegmans and bought a quart..

They are EXCELLENT !  Very unique flavor and texture...

Thanks for turning me on to them..They may become my favorite locally available dill..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I found the Grillos in the Corning Wegmans and bought a quart..

They are EXCELLENT !  Very unique flavor and texture...

Thanks for turning me on to them..They may become my favorite locally available dill..

They also have a hot variety. Haven't tried those yet...

• Like 1