Best Turkey Hunting Blinds

NYBuckHunter27

I haven't actually hunted in a "blind" that fully encloses you. I have and still use a couple of blinds that are 27" tall by either 8 or 12 feet in length. These hide your hands as you work your box or pot calls without being detected. I can carry two in my decoy bag and set up is very easy and fast. Now if our the type that likes hunting in rainy weather, a full blind maybe the cats arse. Waiting to here more reply's on this topic.

• Like 1

Also use 2 blinds that roll up and have telescoping poles to adjust height. I bought a pop up blind a few years back and used it once with my daughter. It was only like $50    I then found out she sits like a rock against the tree and didn't need it .I mean dead still. Until we had a strutter in front of us last year very close. I could see her shaking lol.  Trying to think of the company I ordered it from and drawing a blank, sorry. For the money I thought it was of great quality too. Like maytom said, the ones we use allow you to slowly move lower body if needed, hides hand movements , etc.  As far as rainy weather, camo strapped umbrella to tree and we're golden.

For turkey this thing is my favorite.

Once I figured out to fold it back up into the neat little circle, it sets up or takes down in under a minute and I just strap it to my pack when we pick up to move.

I like that it's semi-mobile, lightweight, and packable, and offers the best protection from the swarming black flies. I leave the fiberglass rods at home as I don't mind the sagging roof hunting with a gun. Never really bothered brushing it in for turkey either. Just cleared away the leaves on the floor where I'll set it up and start cluckin'!

DSC_0348_zpsmauq51kg.jpg

• Like 3

The only binds I have experience with are Ameristep Doghouse blinds.

I currently have two and I think I paid about $50 for one and $60 for the other on sale.

I have used them a lot in the last 6 or 8 years, and they have served me well..I have had a pole or two break and usually have to repair or replace a stake loop every year or two, but I have kept them functional with a little parachute cord and duct tape here and there. They are probably not top quality, but for the price I think they are a good blind. Setup is quick and easy. They conceal you well and keep you reasonably dry in anything but a torrential downpour. The hardest part, as Wooly said, is getting the blind back into a compact round shape to put it back in it's carrying bag. That takes a little practice.

Never hunted turkeys from a blind as I wear a leafy suit. This year I have 3 set up because my daughter wants to come along. They are double Bulls and have been bullet proof but as I have yet to turkey hunt out of them I can't really give a review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been looking at double bulls but the price tag is scary...

You got to try the tent chair blind if your hunting with a kid.. you just sit in it and pull the cover over you.. it comes in a double chair or single chair.. Ive had several youth shoot there first bird from one of these including my daughter whom cant sit still for nothing.lol.. They are really light and portable for moving around.. I use one of the single chairs for deer hunting in the back woods its not very roomy but it keeps you out of the elements and a bit warmer during long sits. I hunt turkey with a TC super 14" .410 and i need to get the bird within 10 yrds or so and this is the blind that really works well for me.. If you havnt hunted turkey from a blind just because you like to move around and you think the blind will slow you down try one of these double chair blinds  .. Good luck ..Ron

http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Ameristep-One-Man-and-Deluxe-Two-Man-Chair-Blinds/7018.uts
  • Like 2

Been looking at double bulls but the price tag is scary...

I think one of mine is nearing 10 years old and I have never had a problem with any of them and I have left them out when I shouldn't have. I did a bunch of research before I bought that one and have bought a couple more since. I have no reason to look at another brand.

Most of the pop-up blinds will work. I would suggest going with one that will allow it to be used drawing a bow and shooting a gun so you can use it during the deer season as well as turkey. The one big thing I have said a few times, is get some UV Killer, set it up and spray it down, even on the inside. 

You got to try the tent chair blind if your hunting with a kid.. you just sit in it and pull the cover over you.. it comes in a double chair or single chair.. Ive had several youth shoot there first bird from one of these including my daughter whom cant sit still for nothing.lol.. They are really light and portable for moving around.. I use one of the single chairs for deer hunting in the back woods its not very roomy but it keeps you out of the elements and a bit warmer during long sits. I hunt turkey with a TC super 14" .410 and i need to get the bird within 10 yrds or so and this is the blind that really works well for me.. If you havnt hunted turkey from a blind just because you like to move around and you think the blind will slow you down try one of these double chair blinds  .. Good luck ..Ron

http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Ameristep-One-Man-and-Deluxe-Two-Man-Chair-Blinds/7018.uts

A friend of mine is a parapeligic ( sp ?) and hunts out of one of those..He kills birds.

• Like 1

I picked up a cheap blind, some years ago on a yard sale for 8 bucks. It looks somewhat like a tee pee, their isn't much room in it, and it had strings to hold the window shades in place, which I removed the first time using it. The turkey walk right by it looking out the side of their head. I just wink back.

• Like 2

I'm probably missing the boat on those type of blinds..........only hunted out of one, one time.  Didn't like it much and it only lasted 30 minutes.  I was with a buddy and it was too confining for my liking.  I can see the appeal though...........

Another buddy has a early Double Bull blind, I borrowed it once and couldn't get the POS set up.  :)

I'm probably missing the boat on those type of blinds..........only hunted out of one, one time. Didn't like it much and it only lasted 30 minutes. I was with a buddy and it was too confining for my liking. I can see the appeal though...........

Another buddy has a early Double Bull blind, I borrowed it once and couldn't get the POS set up. :)

Some blinds aren't as big as others. I too dislike small blinds as it gets uncomfortable to shoot my bow from. But the one we just set up today is the perfect size for two people and has plenty of room left over for gear and whatever else.

Some are also easier than others to setup. But I've noticed that after a few uses, they get much easier to pop up. They can be quite stiff at first.

The spring style blinds are better for gun hunting turkey than hub style. More compact and light to travel with, provides the quick setup you need to be mobile.

Hub style blinds are more of the set it and forget it use.

First turkey I ever killed was set up minutes before the bird pitched down into the green field and there was zero brushing in.

I don't think there is a perfect blind.  They all have good and bad.  I like my Big Mike Barronett because of the size.  The good = I can stand up in it and shoot my bow.  The bad - noisy zippers.  My Ameristep is a smaller blind that has great camo (realtree) and noisy zippers.  My Primos Double Wide blind is made out of durable no glare fabric but I feel the windows are a bit low, I have a hard time seeing out of it.  I use all my blinds for different locations where the camo works best.  I like the Big Mikes size.  It's nice to be able to stand up and stretch.

• Like 1

I agree there is no perfect blind. They all have their pros and cons. Just depends on where and what you need it to do and you buy accordingly.

On a side note....it's killing me every morning when I get home from work and listen to this big ol gobbler thundering away about 150 yards behind the house and most likely in the field where our blind is set up now. Sunday can't come soon enough!!!!

I make all natural blinds with the branches and trees around, for the most part.. A few weeks to a month in advance. but when i know the woods are quiet and the neighbors are not around i want to try this out this spring, The Turkey Fan blind.. the videos are quite wild...

Again it would only be when i know there is no one else around and only at camp... basically on a weekday lol

post-5238-0-93346700-1461766223_thumb.pn