Why do you find turkey more exciting or as exciting than deer hunting?

Bowguy 1

I saw the other thread n I made me wonder why everyone isn't crazy bout turkeys?

No need to sway anyone just personal opinions.

Myself I love deer hunting especially w bow,

It can also be buggy early season but a thermacell takes care of that.

Reasons I find turkeys especially fun is that if you roost birds you're guaranteed one high odds chance a morning n that happens right after first light.

If you don't succeed you can run n gun, go aggressively find a bird to work. With deer we often just sit n wait.

You can be actively involved in the hunt (calling/communicating w bird) and a turkey very often takes it's time getting to you. We typically shoot deer within 10 seconds of seeing them.

Turkeys have us on the edge of our seats so to speak for 20-40 minutes often.

That's a bit of anticipation and adds to my personal fun.

You don't need to be conscious of scent.

You get to rest after the morning until you again roost if you do. And they're easy to get out n clean for the table.

Taking nothing from either animal. Both fantastic, to me turks have some definate benefits.

Anyone else have anything they like better?

Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 2

Deer hunting for me is a pleasant diversion leading to my winter's meat supply..Turkey hunting is a passion. For me.

The thing that makes turkey hunting so special is the AUDITORY interaction with the game.

Not only is it possible, but it is very common  to have an extremely exciting hunt that lasts sometimes for hours, and never even lay eyeballs on the game..Try THAT with deer hunting !

Tom Kelly said it well in his classic book " The Tenth Legion."

"If you persevere, you will eventually kill a few turkeys that you don't deserve, but in the long run you will DESERVE many more turkeys that you don't kill."

• Like 3

I love both actually. But deer is a bigger reward. Plus the seasons are screwed up. Half a day early season and a late season in Deer season.

I would never shoot a turkey over a deer if given the chance.

Edited by Vince1

Thinking about it after I already posted in the other thread. I think the reason why Turkeys don't excite me that much is because I never heard about it when I was a child. My father and grandfather would go to deer camp and I would beg to go. ( I got too a few times before I was old enough) I couldn't wait to hear their stories of what they saw. Making magnificent picture in my head as my Father or Grandfather told a story about seeing/getting deer. It made me passionate about deer hunting before I could even hold up a gun. I never got that with turkeys. There just weren't any around back then and nobody at camp hunted them so they never became a passion for me.

I love deer hunting as much as spring turkey hunting.

However , when it comes down to excitement , spring turkey hunting can't be beat.

For those few minutes when that gobbler appears and starts heading towards my decoys , my heart literally starts pounding I'm my chest. Sitting up against a tree motionless while watching him strut , spit and drum around the decoy makes me so nervous , I've actually started hyperventilating. Then trying to get him to come out of his strut and raise his head up for the shot is the final step.​  BOOM !  Now I get the shakes walking up to my prize.

Funny thing is I couldn't care less about fall turkey hunting.

• Like 1

I love the connection with the birds while spring turkey hunting. It's so fun and nerve racking to try and tell them what they want the hear. Turkeys can be so unpredictable that they could give you every sign that they are coming and yet walk in the complete opposite direction. The thing I love MOST though is hearing that thunderous gobble when they are just out of sight, that seems to just echo into your face. "oh man, he's coming!" gun up, ready to shoot, scanning that terrain for the red or white head, praying not to hear him gobble right behind you if he decides to circle. Gets my heart pounding so loud I can hear it. Not to mention the sight of a strutting tom. Can't beat it!

• Like 2

Another thing I want to add is the weather is beautiful, great time to mentor kids n have high probability of some at least audible action.

The next is the time of year, you actually can't deer hunt. I don't fall hunt much, would never shoot a passerby, if I'm bowhunting Id be concentrating on deer or bears. So I do understand that passion for me I've got a bunch though.

Turks are kings of spring for me. Miss lots of fishing time to chase em.

Edited by Bowguy 1

I actually prefer deer hunting. The reason I got into Spring turkey hunting as a teen was to get in the woods and be hunting for something I can eat. I do enjoy calling the birds and that interaction. But, nothing beats a frosty morning with a little snow and seeing deer. JMO.

Turkey is much more interactive than deer hunting, personally I could give up both as I don't get excited anymore.. I would much rather take someone out than shoot a bird or deer myself.. that being said, it's easier and more interactive with turkey than it is ambushing a deer from a blind or elevated stand, imo, it gives the new hunter a rush to hear let alone see a bird. .deer you pretty much need to see them and get a shot

I like to get out and watch it all come back alive after the long winter months. Seeing the trees and bushes green. Hearing and seeing the wildlife. Getting out smelling the fresh morning air.  Sitting back thinking of hunting experiences, years past. Doing something I really enjoy. . Then, the old gobbler lets one loose. Tell me, what could be better?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

It's beyond a passion at this point, and I get into fall turkey hunting with my dog as much as spring season.

Why I like turkey hunting better than deer hunting:

1). Not everyone else does it

2). The challenge

3).Playing the interactive chess game with a mature tom and usually losing

4). Trying new tactics when the old don't work (it's been a tough spring, birds don't seem to want to gobble much)

5) You can turkey hunt multiple states without spending a lot of money, if you do your homework

6). Turkey tastes better than deer (at least, my family thinks so)

7). It can be as easy (hunt from a tent blind on a farm field with decoys) or as difficult (try to outwit a public land mountain bird) as you want it to be

8. The sound of a gobble NEVER gets old

9). You don't have to worry about falling out of a treestand

10). You probably won't get a heart attack dragging a turkey out of the woods

11). Most days you can grab a nap in the woods if it's sunny (Can't do this in a treestand)

12). Mastering all the different calls and cadences is cool

I'm sure there are more, but that is my list. I'm on top of the world this morning, played hooky and killed this farm bird yesterday. Yeah, it's been a tough spring season this year!!

post-264-0-63718500-1463492081_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

How do you hunt with a dog?

You need a bird dog that likes to range big. You walk through an area that looks promising, and if the dog finds a flock, you let him/her scatter the birds (a good dog will bark on the break). You can USUALLY call the birds back from the break site.

My connection with turkeys, and reason for enjoying Spring turkey season more is hearing them gobble especially if they dont stop gobbling lol. Calling to them to find one or fool a love sick tom, whether its cutting,  clucking soft yelps or even just being silent and scratching the leaves. Its all interactive and it makes me feel well more rewarded after a successful hunt, especially with a harvest. We try to each ourselves what to and what not to after failing or succeeding, just to find out the next bird is totally different. It keeps me entertained always. Spring Turkey season has a lot of babies being born to different critters, lots of birds chirping, just a wonderful time of year..

Deer hunting to me is calm and relaxing, especially after a day at work. I wont say its boring but, less exciting because typically we wait the deer out. I mean I scout, then hang stands, plant food plots, pass younger bucks.. pattern if i can. etc.. and occasionally call in a buck, but hes usually too small for me to want to attempt a shot. Still fun, Just not as fun or frustrating(in a good way) as Turkey hunting. 

I actually enjoy planting food plots, running trail cams, passing up younger bucks and birds, and improving habitat for critters more than actually harvesting them. Don't get me wrong, I still get a huge adrenaline rush when harvesting any animal.. lol