Deer heart

ATbuckhunter

I love deer heart. It's a bit mineraly like liver.

As mentioned, slice it thin ( not super thin ) and fry it up in some butter with fresh garlic, and onions if you choose too. There are a ton of recipes out there. 

My favorite way to cook it is pan fried with just some fresh garlic and butter.

• Like 3

Thought the same, until i said what the hey and tried it. Im glad I did cause it was pretty good. I defiantly prefer regular meat as of now, but I don't think ill be turning the heart sway from now on. 

IMO it's a prime cut. If you have a wood fire pit and can grill it low and slow over wood coals it's fantastic as well.

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 2

I usually slice it about 1/4" thick, dust it in flour and  fry it butter.

My Mom always used to simmer it in water with salt, pepper and a bay leaf and then let it cool in its own broth.

Then she would slice it fairly thin and make sandwiches with mayo and coarse black pepper.  I have taken many deer heart sandwiches into the woods with me over the years.   My favorite lunch opening day of PA season is a deer heart sandwich from one I have killed previously in NY.  It just seems like a fitting lunch when one is hunting deer.

• Like 5

My favorite part! I never freeze em, it's like my celebratory meal. For breakfast it's sliced thin and cooked with maple syrup. For lunch or dinner it's sliced thin and cooked in buyer and onions. I enjoy it so much i try like hell not to aim for it with a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok you're all wrong it's amazing but don't ever cook it.... Take it while it's still warm from the fresh kill.... Use your knife chop till it's like coarse ground beef add mayo lemon juice mustard capers chopped red onion hot sauce salt and pepper.... Mix.... Eat raw spread on toast

• Like 4

Ok you're all wrong it's amazing but don't ever cook it.... Take it while it's still warm from the fresh kill.... Use your knife chop till it's like coarse ground beef add mayo lemon juice mustard capers chopped red onion hot sauce salt and pepper.... Mix.... Eat raw spread on toast

You should remind us at hunting time. I would try it.

You should remind us at hunting time. I would try it.

. I'll post it in the game cooking section during the season..... Please only do this with deer shot with a bow or neck or high lung with a firearm

Lead poisoning...... :rolleyes:

Pretty much sounds like eating it tartare style.