What trips your fall trigger?

dbHunterNY

Grow posted about nuts falling so it must be fall season. it got me thinking. What events, weather, or whatever trips your inner trigger where you now believe it to be Fall, feels like Fall, and all the sudden you can't think about anything but hunting?

...mine is simultaneously walking outside, feeling cold crisp air, smelling foliage change, hearing geese fly overhead, and seeing my breathe. It's on then. I'm a mess and the deer must have a six sense oh sh** moment. It's been that way for years. So what's your trigger?

• Like 3

The first cool night or frosty morning. Always makes me want to skip work. So much better than the muggy, hot weather we have now.

Fall is my favorite season for a lot of things. (hunting, football, holidays, leaves, etc) That said, I hate what Fall turns into!

AutumnTreeLine.jpg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 5

That smell of fall and that cold air just flips a switch for me.  That day all I can think about is how nice of a day this is and how close is hunting season from today?  Then it's where should I hunt, happy this year I wont miss the first 2 weeks.   

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

d4d57febda65389a259e808a14111d34.jpg

Depressing, but it's coming soon. Sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't wait for that sight!!!! All I do is maintain that hole in the ground. My wife and daughters, and their friends, just sun tan on the patio and occasionally  float around the pool on rafts…no one even swims!! I jump in now and then.. My son and his friends go jump of a bridge into a local creek and could care less about the pool.  BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!! 

• Like 4

I can't wait for that sight!!!! All I do is maintain that hole in the ground. My wife and daughters, and their friends, just sun tan on the patio and occasionally  float around the pool on rafts…no one even swims!! I jump in now and then.. My son and his friends go jump of a bridge into a local creek and could care less about the pool.  BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!! 

I go in every night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's chilly mornings and warm afternoons. It's the wooly bear catipillers. It's the first tinge of color on a sugar maple. It's a huge flock of geese landing on the lake at sunset. It's asking your buddies, seen any deer? It's apple cider and doughnuts. It's monday night football. It's so many good things. It's my favorite time of year.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, grampy said:

It's chilly mornings and warm afternoons. It's the wooly bear catipillers. It's the first tinge of color on a sugar maple. It's a huge flock of geese landing on the lake at sunset. It's asking your buddies, seen any deer? It's apple cider and doughnuts. It's monday night football. It's so many good things. It's my favorite time of year.

Sounds like a Sam Adams Commercial.

• Like 3

I love fall also.  I think we all make the mental switch in our minds and not all at once, its little things like grampy says, its the way I pat my pocket for my pipe while tying streamers, at some point I stopped tying little dries for my friends.

the way the pointers would wake from a sound sleep and put their heads on the window sills and take deeper breaths snuffing out the window, as if they knew , soon, just out of sight ...Autumn.

it's the little change that my wife had hot chocolate this morning, and she emptied her coat pockets, refilling them with new candy bars and granola bars and pipe cleaners, because I never can find mine while we are grouse hunting.

its the way suddenly all the horses stop what they re doing and watch us when we leave the house, ears forward expectant....are we going today? is it here?

its the way my bird hunting buddies suddenly are calling more and camps in New England I haven't heard from in 9 months  are leaving messages on the phone,

books  on my nightstand by  the tapplys, gene hill, corey ford and edmund ware smith are piled there now.....it's coming by small degrees, my shirt collar is not growing tighter yet, but the velvet is beginning to itch, the shorter daylight has the whole house thinking about apples and pumpkins and gloves and boots.....oh yes, it is very near. 

Birch flat hunting.jpg

Edited by slickrockpack
  • Like 2