Have you ever learned...

G-Man

I've learned I'm really an incompetent hunter. I don't pack in an Ozonics or 100# or other seemingly useless gear, so I'm lacking in enthusiasm or not investing enough $$. I learnt I don't have access to 1000s of acres of managed land, so a trophy buck is a "pipe-dream" for me. I've learnt I'm totally incompetent because I can't shoot a bow consistently out to 70yrds nor a rifle at ranges of 700+ yards. Have learnt that if I don't partake in a guided hunt my success will be very limited. Best lesson is that when I hunt endless days to simply see a buck, I should have gotten one in 30min or less. Finally, learned that if I don't get a 170" buck, I have no real bragging rights. Why do I even bother! Joking, of course!

• Like 1

Yea I've learned that they are a great source of entertainment but that's all it is... They hardly even talk about products that are actually useful... The best hunting product I have ever found is the butt out, never seen that advertised on a hunting show.... I think I'm going to start a thread about the butt out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

I've learned I'm really an incompetent hunter. I don't pack in an Ozonics or 100# or other seemingly useless gear, so I'm lacking in enthusiasm or not investing enough $$. I learnt I don't have access to 1000s of acres of managed land, so a trophy buck is a "pipe-dream" for me. I've learnt I'm totally incompetent because I can't shoot a bow consistently out to 70yrds nor a rifle at ranges of 700+ yards. Have learnt that if I don't partake in a guided hunt my success will be very limited. Best lesson is that when I hunt endless days to simply see a buck, I should have gotten one in 30min or less. Finally, learned that if I don't get a 170" buck, I have no real bragging rights. Why do I even bother! Joking, of course!

Well gun season hasn't changed a whole lot, but the real growth in hunting shows has been the ones that involve bowhunting. I remember when bow season was an oddity, a few of us guys would show up at work and the stories began to break out. It was a big deal if somebody saw a deer, and huge when somebody actually got a shot. And on the super rare situation where somebody actually got a deer (any deer), that story would survive several seasons.

Today nobody wants to hear about the "almosts". And any deer that are taken have to have that first question, "What did it score?". And if the number isn't high enough, well, it's almost like it never happened. And if you say you got a doe, the group breaks up immediately and heads back to work. No wonder nobody wants to shoot does .... LOL.

But as far as the 170" buck that you are talking about, it is these staged and scripted TV shows that I blame for that attitude of taking smaller deer being something that you feel you need to apologize for. Yes, that is the one thing that I have learned from those shows ..... They have the power to shift attitudes, ethics, and expectations in ways that are not necessarily good for hunting.

I just watched a guy shoot a huge buck in ass with a bow and find it because of pure luck.... These shows are insane..... I guess I learned I should shoot deer in the ass

Pretty sure I saw that episode the other day...never should have killed that buck...lucky

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I had one show on the DVR that I liked to show people when they stopped over ,there was a buck and doe ,the hunter shot the buck and dropped him, while he was kneeling over the buck talking about what an amazing hunter he is and a great shot he made ,the whole time the doe was still in the background just over his shoulder about 60 yards away.

Jeez, I've learned a ton. Where to start.... Tbone loves Cheetos, u must say "smoked em" no matter where your shot lands, guys in sitka cloths are cooler than you, yeti coolers are bear proof, Jim shockey is like chuck Norris only Canadian, the buzbiss family owns most of Louisiana and they have a pet deer, sheep hunting is hard on the knees, Tim wells calls every buck big Louie ( mind you I watched ten episodes thinking he was after the same buck till he killed it 3 different times). That's all that comes to mind for now. Hope I was able to pass on some useful info !

• Like 4

On 8/13/2016 at 11:13 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

The old Fitzgerald videos were very good. We used to rent them from Nicks Sporting Goods on vhs. He's turned into a total shill for lame products but that dude can flat shoot a bow. No sights no peep, fingers, righty, lefty, sitting down, he was unreal

Had the pleasure to meet Dan & Guy at a local function some years back. Real down to earth people. They got me cooking meat on the manifold, LOL. Keep'in It Real.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 5:49 AM, Doc said:

Well gun season hasn't changed a whole lot, but the real growth in hunting shows has been the ones that involve bowhunting. I remember when bow season was an oddity, a few of us guys would show up at work and the stories began to break out. It was a big deal if somebody saw a deer, and huge when somebody actually got a shot. And on the super rare situation where somebody actually got a deer (any deer), that story would survive several seasons.

Today nobody wants to hear about the "almosts". And any deer that are taken have to have that first question, "What did it score?". And if the number isn't high enough, well, it's almost like it never happened. And if you say you got a doe, the group breaks up immediately and heads back to work. No wonder nobody wants to shoot does .... LOL.

But as far as the 170" buck that you are talking about, it is these staged and scripted TV shows that I blame for that attitude of taking smaller deer being something that you feel you need to apologize for. Yes, that is the one thing that I have learned from those shows ..... They have the power to shift attitudes, ethics, and expectations in ways that are not necessarily good for hunting.

I definitely agree that main stream hunting shows have made people more concerned about the "end result" than appreciating or even caring about the "means to end".  I've learned that even your favorite and tv show, that's an exception to all these learned lessons, can change sponsors like underwear.  there's enough good stuff out there you can't afford and can't realistically put a fraction of it to good use.

Your last paragraph is so spot on. I cannot stand when someone posts their deer and leads with "I know it's not a monster but...". Be proud of your deer, big buck, small buck, doe, whatever. We are all hunting in the real world and know there isn't a 120" in every wood lot, let alone a 170". If holding out for that giant is your thing that's awesome, if putting any deer on the ground is your thing that's great too.

Rant over, get off my lawn!
  • Like 1

I learned many hunters blow way to hard into the grunt tube yet it always seems to work!  :rolleyes:  How bad the calling is done amazes me and even when it is done horribly the deer come into range, lol.  Wish the deer in NY did that! 

I do like deer and deer hunting, especially watching the buck fever take effect on Dan Schmidt.  The shot placement is good and the knowledge is very educational.  Have not watched it in a while but still watch seasons 1-8 with the exertion myopathy and twin buck fawns as two of my favorites.  (Season 5 I believe.) 

Gave up TV a few years ago and do not watch much on the internet. 

Reading all of these responses it's a wonder there are any hunting shows. Someone must like them because they seem to be very lucrative for a few.
I watch them pretty regular. I watch them for entertainment not instruction.

I hate em and love em. When it's 90° and mid summer I do like to watch big giants get got. Whatever with the gimmicks, i don't care. I treat it the same way as when I read the Victoria's secret catalogs I'm only in it for the racks.
  • Like 1